Notices

2nd Day of w/d from Oxy. cold turkey

Old 11-25-2011, 08:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy 2nd Day of w/d from Oxy. cold turkey

Hi I am on day two of no Oxy ..... I have been abusing oxy on and off for about 2years 90-120 mg , i was just on a 30-45mg then i got ahold of more becouse it was in hands reach and i think this is the worst ever i knew i was getting hooked and the mg was going up to120- 160mg. I knew i had to stop now it was only gonna get worst. 2 years before it was lortabs, but the oxy are by far the worst i ever exp. I have tryed to stop before but have never been successful. I find myself back to using and then trying to come off time and time again, I am addicted and I hate it. I hate the person I have become, hate that I have to wake up and take a dose every morning plus 3-4 tines a day to make it thru! I took my last dose about two days ago. Here I am..... Day one- I had chills,hot sweats, I spent a few hours in the bathroom..Day 2- I feel like crap still i cant get out of this bed, but the worst feels like it set in this evening with the restless legs and cramps. omg this hurts! i cant sleep and i want to stop but i feel so weak. I keep telling myself why cold turkey should i have slowly came off or is cold turkey the best way . I am doing this at home and my wife is helping me thru this the best she can. But how long does this last? Is the worst over yet? I know I can do this becouse I want to... I need to!! I have taken a half of (2mg) xanax.and soma for the muscle aches,BUT still cant sleep. I got on google and came accosss this wesite and all the stories have been so amazing that people do overcome this addiction. God I hope I make it to day 3.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

hi,
I feel ur pain, but please stick w/ it.
Just think in a week or so u will feel SOOO much better, u will be able to funtion.
it is only a week or so out of ur life and then u will be off phsically, but then u can do the mental work (which I know u can)it does get easier after about day 5, YOU CAN DO IT, don`t give up PLEASE... Just think u already have 2 days only 4 or so left...
I was addicited for 20 years and it destroyed my life,, I lost my home,my husband for 3 years(thank God we are back now that I am clean, and now I have a life w/ my kids and grandkids(WONDERFUL) but we just have to go through pain before we get the glory, but if I did it anyone can.
Yes it was awful and I never want to go back. i guarantee if u continue using u will loose everything and evrybody, is it worth it?
You have God and ur wife for support and this site
U CAN DO iT, think of the reward, good luck and ur not alone
Old 11-26-2011, 07:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FT

Hi Noezwayout,

I hope you don't cave and go back to the oxys after two good days of cold turkey behind you. You have a short term addiction but at relatively high doses, which means you're going to be sick for a couple of weeks, then totally lethargic for a few more, before you really start feeling like some of your old self is returning. Lorilou is right about the more immediate gains, however. The worst is over after the first week, and then you'll start to see improvement. Don't let occasional days where you feel like nothing has been gained throw you. Recovery is not linear, and the toxins you have been ingesting have done damage that has to be repaired by your body.

In answer to your thoughts of tapering, most of us can't do it. For me, I tried for all of last year to taper off oxys, and all it did was drive my dose higher and higher. I worked hard to get my dose down to a few pills a day, having mini-withdrawals the whole time, only to get down to what I thought was the home stretch, only to "celebrate" my success by taking more pills "just this once!" since I felt I had learned how to "control" oxys. Ha!

There IS no controlling opiate use for a addict. That's why tapering off usually fails. Few addicts can stop themselves from taking a stash of pills lying around, rationing them for "later". Later always comes back and bites you in the butt. I know this well after "stealing" from my own stash and running myself dry over and over and over again. All tapering did for me was make me sicker and sicker. It turned what could have been a rapid detox into a slow torture. Plus, every new "try" got harder to do.

So, my advice is to get the most out of this cold turkey you are doing. If you go back to using now, it will be harder the next time you try to quit. I rarely get anyone popping in when these kinds of posts occur, success stories of tapering off. A few do claim that, here and there, but most involve a medically supervised detox to handle the side effects of the detox.

Bottom line is to do what works for you. While you are detoxing, time slows to almost a standstill. A few minutes seems like hours, and a week seems forever. But, in reality this time is extremely brief in the context of the rest of your life. If you are sick of pill chasing and never feeling good any more, being sick a few weeks is nothing. Well, not nothing, but it is something well worth doing for the payoff and exquisite freedom of being clean.

Good luck. You can do it.

FT
Old 11-26-2011, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks I find your words very encourging and uplifting to me in this down time. I made it through day2- no tapering just cold turkey. day3- has set in and I am sitting up watching tv its like the only thing keeping my mind busy. but the leg cramps an restless legs are driving me crazy.any suggestions on what may help would be nice. my cravings are going down but i think thats only because im so sick. i am very nervous about when this weak sickness is gone?. My wife is so sick of the pills its torn us apart, first she would yell and fight with me when she knew i was high. let me tell you she knew i try so hard to tell her other wise , but i couldnt. i think that help me not get really messed up on some days because i knew it just be a big fight , but i still got high enough to not feel w/d. the pills gave me energy. haha , but i never got to far gone because i always had to come home. but latley she hasnt even gave me a hard time she just gives me the LOOK. so of course the addict i am, i took it there i got messed up everyday from the time i woke up,till i went to bed. that lasted about 3 months. finially she said the words i been waiting for. "this is enough your gonna die'!! i know she is speaking the truth i know i taken this to far.I have been in the hospital for seziurs for trying to quite pills oxy and xanax. and that still didnt stop me!! While being admited in the hospital they discovered i had a heart aortic aneurysm. maybe caused by drug use. i have always played around with drugs. but the oxys got ahold of me so fast i didnt even see it coming! i have been on opiates for 5 years now with the last two years oxy. i cant live like this anymore. i seen what it has done to people and I know where im headed. But its so easy to fail and harder to succeed. I just pray that I make it! Thanks for taking the time to read my story.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FT

Hi again Noezwayout,

Have you been on benzos AND opiates this time around? If so, you should check yourself in to a medical facility to detox, OR get your doctor involved in your detox. Benzo detox is dangerous, as you have already found out with a seizure last time you did this.

If this is "just" opiates, you might be okay, but with a diagnosis of heart aortic aneurysm, you doctor MUST be informed of what you are doing in case you have medical difficulties during detox. Don't take any of this lightly. The worst thing you can do is continue to be addicted to opiates and/or benzos with your health at stake.

If you've determined this detox is safe for you, you should expect and plan on feeling extreme lethargy for several weeks. The problem is that extreme lethargy can also be a sign of heart failure, and that's why I'm giving you these BIG disclaimers about whether this is safe for you or not.

Your wife is right, these drugs will kill you. I put my own husband through torture by being addicted, and I too suffered his wrath when I quit. He didn't believe me and did not trust anything I said or did for a long time after I quit opiates, and who could blame him for that. I had promised I was going to quit for many months, and what I did instead was lie to him and tell him I was tapering off while in face I was upping my dosage to ridiculous proportions.

Yes, oxys are insidious, and I am not surprised you did not see this coming. I didn't either. For me, I refuse to live the rest of my life as an opiate addict, and the only way not to be that was to QUIT what I was doing and "man" up. I, too, quit cold turkey and suffered through my withdrawals with an angry husband at my side. At the end of the day, however, he has become my biggest supporter, and both of us now know what addiction really is and who it can take down. Anyone. You. Me. Anyone.

Keep up the good work. "Embrace" this misery, because it means you are successfully detoxing. If you felt good right now, I would be very suspicious that you weren't really quitting the drug. Opiates leave you feeling spent and damaged, and now you must get through this first part so that you can accomplish the rest of the damage control to repair what the opiates have wreaked upon your life.

You can do this. Be careful, and be safe. Coming here helped me immensely in my first weeks of withdrawal. I continue to come back to try to give back some of the help I was given. Don't give up now. You are on your way.

FT
Old 11-26-2011, 04:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hang in there. I can only know a small amount of what you are going through. As of yet, I'm not as strong as you. I torture myself daily by going further and further into acute WD's... But from what I have experienced and read in here... I know you are going through hell.

Keep going. You give me hope.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No ezywayout, stay strong!!! I am on day 9 today of a long stint of any pain meds I could get my hands on. I tried many times to play the 'ok I will get more and this time I will take them accordingly so I don't have withdrawals so bad' IT never worked!! I would start off the first few hours counting all those damn pills and trying to figure out how many I could take per time to make them last, it always ended with me in panic looking for more. My withdrawals are nearly gone. You can do this. Just try and go for a walk, or do something to take your mind off of things!!! At day 9 I feel better then ever, now on to the dealing with emotion state. Can you go to an NA meeting? If so, go. The support is very much helpful. Stay writing!!!