Notices

How do I stop this compulsion for drugs

Old 11-25-2011, 12:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do I stop this compulsion for drugs

Hi everyone,

I'm addicted to painkillers and tranquilizers.

I've been trying to stop taking them but the compulsion to use is overwheling.

I try each day to abstain but always give into my cravings.

The question I ask here is how do you deal with cravings on a daily basis

I'm really stuck at the moment. I promise myself each morning that I will quit but I keep failing.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I overcome this compulsion to use?

I appreciate any feedback.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Babycham))) - My DOC was crack, so I didn't have physical withdrawals, but the mental ones were a b***h, including the compulsion. I don't know what kind of "tranquilizers" you are on, but some really can be dangerous to stop abruptly, so I'd recommend seeing a doctor.

I had a really bad relapse, and when I would start thinking of getting high, numbing myself out rather than deal with the consequences, I'd remember how miserable I was even using. I also, at the same time, told myself "not an option - next" with "next" being a cue to distract myself. In time, it was automatic, I'd be distracted without realizing I had even thought about crack.

That's what helped me, along with a lot of time on SR. Early recovery isn't easy...heck over 4-1/2 years clean and life still has its challenges, but going through them in recovery is way better than when I was using.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-25-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
(((Babycham))) - My DOC was crack, so I didn't have physical withdrawals, but the mental ones were a b***h, including the compulsion. I don't know what kind of "tranquilizers" you are on, but some really can be dangerous to stop abruptly, so I'd recommend seeing a doctor.

I had a really bad relapse, and when I would start thinking of getting high, numbing myself out rather than deal with the consequences, I'd remember how miserable I was even using. I also, at the same time, told myself "not an option - next" with "next" being a cue to distract myself. In time, it was automatic, I'd be distracted without realizing I had even thought about crack.

That's what helped me, along with a lot of time on SR. Early recovery isn't easy...heck over 4-1/2 years clean and life still has its challenges, but going through them in recovery is way better than when I was using.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Thanks for your reply impurrfect. It gives me hope.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi babycham,
i just had to make my mind up and just do it, I know easier said then done, but I did do it so far, and it is better than when using. My doc was oxys and used for quite alot of years and lost everything,
The hardest part is the first week or two, all I can say is that keeping busy helped alot when I felt good. You can do it if u want it bad enough..
I went into a therapy group, that helped also, I learned alot and was around other users so had great support..
Good Luck and remember the rward is much greater than the high, it lasts longer and it only costs some will power.. God Bless You
Old 11-26-2011, 05:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your help and advice. It feels good to reach out to people.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Babycham-

Good for you for coming to a support board to get some help!! I have been a struggling and chronic-relapsing addict for many years, with a small amount of time put together this go-around at recovery.

I am doing a three-day-a-week intensive outpatient group, which helps a lot and i have been attending AA/NA despite my problems with some of the tenets of the program and also i have some attendant mental issues which make the f2f (face to face) meetings somewhat difficult, but i take what i can from the programs though i think i get more from online support groups, which is why i'm back at SR again and i do some online meetings but they can go kind of slow at times.

I hope you too keep coming back, i have been bad at keeping checking in with my posts/replies but maybe i can remember enough this time to get more involved with the various threads...
Old 11-27-2011, 04:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi all ,especially Babycham....Ive been where you are now......25 years ago yesterday.
Im clean and sober now and enjoying life as best I can.
I was in your fair city for the past few days......lovely.
My story is posted here in the Stories section if you want to read it.
I was addicted to the Most Potent tranqualisers available at the time.
I chopped and Changed from one Name to the next...in the end Ativan was my drug of choice,it took away all my pain/emotions etc.....until they eventually stopped working.
Id say it is/was simular to xanax.
It took over 1 year to cut down to nothing from the dose I was on.
I attended a great Doctor in Dublin at that time,he helped me,kept advising me of the different things I WAS GOING THROUGH AT THE TIME.I had been on Tranqualisers for over 20 years........lucky to be alive.
They are cunning ,Powerful,Baffeling....they called all the shots.I could never be without them,kept them in my Pocket,Under my pillow,could never run out of them.

You need Counciling,Meetings,to find out why you went on them in the first place.
I attend ACA now for the past number of years.....I have also attended AA,NA,Grow,Tranx Release.
The day I seen the Laundry list of ACA........it clicked.
I had all the Character defects listed.

Wythdrawl Tention.............
When the Tention got to bad I used to Run it of...somtimes just standing in the one place.
Tensing the neck also helps....tense and release.
Pushing my feet to the ground another one....helped with Panic.
But the best relief if tention got too bad was....Soaking a Towel in hot water and putting it over my eyes........Relief straight away.......

Take care,you can beat this,life is good when you know why you suffer and there is a solution......you were never at fault,it was caused by others that knew no better.
Mabie at the Moment this statement might not mean anything,but if you fit the laundry list....it will....Love and best wishes.