Notices

Major depression episode

Old 11-23-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Major depression episode

Yesterday I had a major depression episode and I wanted to shut myself off from the rest of the world. I got into bed at about 4pm and slept until almost 3am. There are some family members that I am stuck being in contact with that have the ability to not only kill a good mood, but send me into a mode of hopeless depression. It is not that they are mean, it is just the personality. I don't really know how to explain it. You have probably met people who have the ability to just kill your good mood as soon as they open their mouth. That is what this is. It hurts because it is family and I want to be good to them but they just drive me freaking nuts. I think a lot of my depression and drinking has come from my lack of ability to deal with people like this. It has been a lot better since I don't really see family anymore now that I moved out here. However one phone call is enough to bring back all those awful feelings. I was feeling pretty good about myself not to long ago, now I am not sure. I think I am struggling with a self identity also and that is part of the problem......
Old 11-23-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Have you clinical depression or was it just the contact with family that triggered it? Are you on anti-depressants? If you've been feeling depressed for 2 or more weeks, then its clinical depression, not just a bad day and you should go to your doctor who will refer you onto counselling also. "The Feeling Good Handbook" by David M. Burns is a good CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) book to treat depression and anxiety, it also has a section on communication skills which could help you deal with difficult family members. The book's available on amazon online.

Are you still drinking or sober now?

Keep posting on here in the meantime and keep us posted on how you get on I know its tough but this too shall pass, you might not believe it now but you won't always feel this bad. Just hang in there and take one day at a time.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was diagnosed with depression 5 years ago. It has been better in recent months but it still creeps up now and then. I have not used meds in years and have not had a drink since July 4. Wednesday was a good day and so far today has been fine.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh yea, we all have families Part of getting sober is learning how to establish boundaries and limit our contact with people like that. Regarding depression, I hope you pay close attention and, if you can't get out of bed, get to a shrink right away. I wouldn't be alive without anti-depressants...
Old 12-17-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Mr Silver

How are you feeling now? Would be great to hear an update, have been mad busy these past few weeks, haven't been on this website in ages!