Notices

Did I totally screw my opiate detox up??

Old 11-21-2011, 11:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Did I totally screw my opiate detox up??

Hello, I need some advice from people WHO HAVE BEEN THRU THIS.....I went to a 3 week detox program...they kept me on subutex for approximately 16 days...on the 16th day I checked myself out (STUPID STUPID STUPID, i know...). I didn't feel very good so like a complete IDIOT I started using "just a little". Now, i've been an oxycontin/heroin/methadone/roxy addict for about 3 years...now shooting for the last 1 1/2 years.....this is my 4th trip to rehab but now im freaking pregnant and I HAVE to quit. Im SICK of being SICK. I have been using a small amount for the last 6 days since I got out and I desperately want to stop...ive been dopesick since yesterday afternoon and i seriously feel like im going to die. Did the last 16 days I spent NOT using opiates just go down the toilet???????? or how long can i expect to wish for death????? I just found a 5mg percocet that i already KNOW wont do a darn thing for me and i wont feel it....but im such an addict I want to do it SOOO bad...just to feel better. But am i correct in assuming the last 38 hours I have paid to the MISERY BANK will be for nothing if I do it?
Old 11-21-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

Hi TryingToday,

Since you are pregnant, it is IMPERATIVE that you quit the opiates, or your newborn baby will have to go through exactly the same withdrawals you are feeling right now after it is born. You think you feel sick? How would you like to be a newborn feeling like this and not knowing why and having no way to tell anyone or how to feel better. This is serious sh!t, I'm not kidding you.

Also, especially because you are pregnant, you need to get with an OB doctor or nurse midwife who will help you stay healthy for the rest of this pregnancy, and give you something now if you need it that will not hurt the fetus.

Do it now. Your baby's life depends on it.

FT
Old 11-21-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, obviously I KNOW i must quit, thats why im TRYING SO HARD. I dont want to ask my OB for anything else to "help" me off cuz it just seems that no matter WHAT i do, i just get addicted to THAT. My main question is...how long can i expect to feel like this? i wasnt sick in rehab at all cuz they had me subutexd out of my mind so did those 16 days of abstinence not count?? WHY am i SOOOO sick NOW?
Old 11-21-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please do speak with your Dr TT.

D
Old 11-21-2011, 02:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FT

Originally Posted by TryingToday View Post
Thanks, obviously I KNOW i must quit, thats why im TRYING SO HARD. I dont want to ask my OB for anything else to "help" me off cuz it just seems that no matter WHAT i do, i just get addicted to THAT. My main question is...how long can i expect to feel like this? i wasnt sick in rehab at all cuz they had me subutexd out of my mind so did those 16 days of abstinence not count?? WHY am i SOOOO sick NOW?
Hi Trying,

Anvilhead had it down correctly. You are feeling very sick now from withdrawal from the subs, more likely than not. If this is your first baby, maybe you didn't realize how sick you can feel while pregnant. That may be normal because of the pregnancy, but only your doctor or nurse midwife can tell you for sure whether things are normal. Lots of normal things feel yucky in pregnancy, but this is one of those times in your life when you need medical attention for the WHOLE pregnancy. Don't wait until you are further along.

Please get check out by your care provider right away. And we want to know how you are doing! So please keep coming back here so we can help you through this.

FT
Old 11-21-2011, 03:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree you should see a doc since your pregnant. & you don't want to use at all being pregnant obviously for the baby's health and yours also. It would be horrible to have your baby taken from you at birth because they found out you were using while pregnant.. Im going through opiate withdrawal as we speak, it's not going to be easy but you need to rest while your going thrOugh this, don't over do it. Your body needs time to heal especially since your pregnant. I would talk to your doc about vitamins also, pre natal and multi vitamins also to make sure you and your baby are getting all the nutrients y'all need. Will pray for you and your baby, if I can do it I know you can! Posting here often will help you more than you think. Just having someone to talk to that is going through or has gone through what your going through is very helpful and comforting. Just remember you can do it, and the longer your in recovery the better you will feel(: and I again I will keep you especially in my prayers because of your situation. Like everyone else said keep us posted, everyone here wants nothing but the best for you and success on your road to recovery(:
Old 11-21-2011, 06:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi,
It wasn`t a waste those 16 days, just get back on track for u and the babe.
my neice had a baby addiceted it was soo sad the baby was crying constantly and they had to put the baby on morpheine and wein her down, very, very sad.
So please do it for U and the babes.
That is true u may have morning sickness and even afternoon sickness from being pregnant. Talk to some professional, we are taught to be honest, right? I think u should start, its a start.
I know u can do this for u, pray a little also,God does not judge,Good Luck
Old 11-22-2011, 05:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There are professionals who specialize in addiction and pregnancy. Its all they do you need to seek one out. Trust me there is no shame in this but it would be a shame if you did nothing. Maybe you need to check into a program where you can get healthy for your whole pregnancy this child may be your higher powers way of getting you into recovery. You can do this you must do this. We are on your side rooting for you do it today PLEASE..........Good luck keep us informed
Old 11-22-2011, 06:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Trying,

I know that this is really hard and scary situation. I have walked in your shoes and know your fear all to well. Please listen to what advice has been given to you here in this thread. I have a wonderful, beautiful, handsome son that blesses my life each and every day; however my inability to get clean and sober has cost my son a lot of problems. He is FAS and watching him detox was heart wrenching.

Please come back and let us know how you are doing.. you and your baby are in my thoughts and prayers... Take care of the two of you... You have been given a blessing
Old 11-22-2011, 11:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you guys so much!! It REALLY does help to have someone to talk to!! Well, after nonstop vomitting for 2 days i started throwing up blood last night around 4am so my aunt called the rescue squad and i went to the ER. I was honest with them and told them I was an addict and declined the pain meds they kept trying to give me....finally the tests came back and im passing a kidney stone...arghhhhhhhhhh. i got into a screaming match with the dr. after he had the nurse drug me with benadryl so id pass out and then gave me dilaudid in my IV!!!!!!!!!! I KNEW it immediately the minute it was injected I started crying and told him I just wanted to go....he said I had to take something for pain or i wouldnt stop throwing up. I left after that and am determined to at least TRY to pass the stone without drugs. He sent me home with a script for dilaudid (which i have NOT filled!!!!!!) So, im guessing that I felt so bad from THAT and im really hoping that after the stone is out I will be back on track to recovery!!! I have been going to the Dr for my pregnancy and actually despite my addiction have been eating well and taking my prenatals. The rehab I went to is ONLY for pregnant women...I wish i could go back!! But I cannot so its me against this monster...I live in a very rural area so there aren't any NA meetings around me...you guys are really the only support I have, so again, thank you. I am 100% determined I will NOT have a drug addicted baby! I lost my one year old daughter last year...she passed away Nov 9, 2010 and this baby im carrying means so much to me and im trying so hard to do the right thing. Its just so dam* hard!! I really dontt understand why drs. think its ok to drug me...especially AFTER i tell them im pregnant and an addict!!!! so now i guess i just wait for the dilaudid to wear off and then i will see how i feel and go from there!! but thanks again to everyone...
Old 11-22-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've posted the exact same question on here before (minus the pregos part), you're wondering if, biochemically, you've reset your brain by relapsing. Everyone is different, you probably didn't waste the 16 days but you probably hindered your recovery some. That would be a worse situation (recovery-wise) if you were 3 or 4 months in to withdrawal and relapsed, your system would tell itself not to try to repair itself yet.

A side note, I withdrew from the opiates then withdrew again from suboxone, I know they were separate withdraws too because there was a 2 or 3 week period between the two. I figured since I withdrew from opiates that an opiate blocker would be ok to take, lol. This was not the case, anything you feed your brain will tell your system not to produce the "feel good stuff" on it's own.

See a doctor and find out what to do.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TryingToday View Post
Thank you guys so much!! It REALLY does help to have someone to talk to!! Well, after nonstop vomitting for 2 days i started throwing up blood last night around 4am so my aunt called the rescue squad and i went to the ER. I was honest with them and told them I was an addict and declined the pain meds they kept trying to give me....finally the tests came back and im passing a kidney stone...arghhhhhhhhhh. i got into a screaming match with the dr. after he had the nurse drug me with benadryl so id pass out and then gave me dilaudid in my IV!!!!!!!!!! I KNEW it immediately the minute it was injected I started crying and told him I just wanted to go....he said I had to take something for pain or i wouldnt stop throwing up. I left after that and am determined to at least TRY to pass the stone without drugs. He sent me home with a script for dilaudid (which i have NOT filled!!!!!!) So, im guessing that I felt so bad from THAT and im really hoping that after the stone is out I will be back on track to recovery!!! I have been going to the Dr for my pregnancy and actually despite my addiction have been eating well and taking my prenatals. The rehab I went to is ONLY for pregnant women...I wish i could go back!! But I cannot so its me against this monster...I live in a very rural area so there aren't any NA meetings around me...you guys are really the only support I have, so again, thank you. I am 100% determined I will NOT have a drug addicted baby! I lost my one year old daughter last year...she passed away Nov 9, 2010 and this baby im carrying means so much to me and im trying so hard to do the right thing. Its just so dam* hard!! I really dontt understand why drs. think its ok to drug me...especially AFTER i tell them im pregnant and an addict!!!! so now i guess i just wait for the dilaudid to wear off and then i will see how i feel and go from there!! but thanks again to everyone...
I don't know how it is where you live, but my fear would be giving birth to a substance dependent baby or a baby with active withdrawl symptoms. Hospital staff act as mandated reporters and that means you risk ending up having a state agency take your child away from you. I have worked with women who have lost their children in exactly this way. They were taken away at birth and never given back. Years later they still struggle with the sense of loss. If keeping your baby is the most important thing in your life then please try to get it together now and go all the way thru a medically supervised detox and maybe a hospital based rehab. Stay clean at least until your baby is born.