Notices

all advice welcome

Old 11-18-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

all advice welcome

This is my first time posting on something like this so forgive me if i'm doing it wrong but i need help and you guys seem to have a great community hear.

My friend is apparently addicted to oxycodone. 10-15mg per day for about 9 months. He started taking it to overcome chronic migraine problems because the usual meds like immitrex didn't touch the pain.
He wants to try to detox on his own...with help from friends and some of the assist meds u guys talked about on this blog. Can someone help me with suggestions?
Is it easier to withdraw slowly by cutting dosage or quickly by going cold turkey? His dosage doesn't seem like a ton to me compared to some things I've read? What affects the body more a higher dosage or the time period. Any advice would b a big help.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

Hi Ovrmyhead,

You've asked a question that is the subject of much debate.

No one can give medical advice here, but the experiences are well told on a lot of the threads. Try reading through any of them that deal with oxycodone withdrawal -- I'm Going Cold Turkey, Oxycodone Withdrawal Help, Kicking the Ox, etc. Read the first parts of the threads because many of them eventually evolve into a lot of social talk.

Basically, anyone who has taken any dose of opiates for longer than a few weeks is going to have withdrawal when they stop. It appears the higher and longer doses are harder, but not always.

Some advocate tapering, but few succeed at doing it because when ANY supply of pills is around, the addict will grab them at the first sign of feeling sick. Almost no one can resist doing that. I tried and failed at that for months last year, so I went off cold turkey.

Whatever he does, he should PLAN on feeling sick for a few weeks, and it is worse the first few days. Most people can't sleep, feel restless, have stomach cramps and bowel problems. Most have crazy racing thoughts, probably from lack of sleep if not the drug withdrawal itself. Most everyone has EXTREME lethargy, so planning to do NOTHING but detox for at least a week or two is best.

Lots of fluids, easy to digest foods, and things to occupy and distract him are helpful. Some docs will prescribe something non narcotic for sleep.

Most important is NO ACCESS to the drug after he stops. He can't take what he doesn't have.

Good luck.

FT
Old 11-18-2011, 01:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ovrmyhead

I'm glad your friend has such caring people in their life
I recommend your friend speak to a Dr to get professional medical advice, though.

D
Old 11-18-2011, 07:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey over,

Your right 10-15 mg doesn't seem like alot to me but everyone is different and like failed said they should expect some kind of withdraw regardless.. I also agree that it would have been hard for me to taper, if I had the drugs they were going to be taken end of story. Me personally I was taking in the 100-200 mg of hydrocodone most day's and went cold turkey. The first 7-10 days were a bit gnarley, especially the first 5 (most of the symptoms failed mentioned), the insomnia was the worst which I think probably caused some of the other symptoms. It's only been about 40 days but I feel pretty great now and am so much more productive...Your friend is lucky to have you, do whatever you can to support them, plenty of awesome peeps on here and in my everyday life made the proccess so much easier.