Notices

Xanax Question

Old 11-17-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Xanax Question

Hey I've been taking .5mg of xanax every night for about 4-5 months. I don't crave it or think about it. I've skipped a few nights too. I'm thinking about just stopping completely. I keep reading these horror stories about people needing to be monitored by a doctor for stopping xanax because it could be deadly or something. Is that for people that are addicted to it and have been taking higher doses? Like I said, I don't crave it or abuse it. I'm just getting to the point where I don't need it or have to take it anymore. Any input is appreciated.

Chris
Old 11-17-2011, 02:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I don't have much experience to share on this topic but I would suggest if you're considering getting off of it (or any medicine) you should consult your doctor before doing so.

Good luck to you!!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yea talk to the doc, my guess would be he'll taper you off anyway (100% guess)

xanax is the devil
Old 11-17-2011, 10:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Argonaut

Benzo (Xanax) withdrawal can be very different for each person. The good thing is that you didn't abuse it and took a low dose, so the chances of extreme and dangerous withdrawal symptoms are very small.

However, even with a constant therapeutic dose taken for a few months some people can develop mild withdrawal symptoms like anxiety, sweating, lack of concentration and insomnia.

Talk to your doctor about a taper plan to quit Xanax and smooth out the withdrawal symptoms. Good luck!
Old 11-18-2011, 12:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
dbh

I was taking .25mg of Xanax to sleep and as needed for approximately three years. In July, I decided I wanted to quit. The situation that caused me to initially start taking them was no longer. I also was starting to worry that I was developing a dependency.

When I went cold turkey, I did start to feel more anxious and I was having problems sleeping. I decided to do my own taper. I went two week with .25mg and then two weeks with .125mg. I stopped completely near the end of August and have actually been feeling less anxious since. Even though I was taking a small amount, I think I would sometimes experience anxiety during the day because of inter-dose withdrawals.

Some of the Xanax stories that I have read on-line are horrible. I'm glad I'm no longer taking it.

Best Wishes,
db
Old 11-18-2011, 03:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Xanax is one of the few benzos where the manufacturer has changed the labeling and now states it should only be taken in cases of extreme insomnia and extreme anxiety for a few weeks and then stopped because of the potential for addiction and protracted withdrawal symptoms.

I would begin tapering down immediately after using for a few months and do so under the supervision of a doctor who understands the dangers of any benzo.

Google benzo withdrawal and read some of the forums where people struggle getting off of a half milligram of Xanax. But don't freak out by the horror stories. All people are different and not all people have troubles getting off benzos. But the stories can show you just how bad things can get.

What you have going for you is the fact you are taking a relatively low dose and have done so for five months.

And do read the labeling on Xanax. If you don't get the complete packet of written material with you prescription, ask for it at the pharmacy.

Again, even the manufacturer states now (for fear of lawsuits) that its drug should only be taken for a few weeks and tapered before cessation.

Benzo withdrawal is somewhere you don't want to be. Believe me. Mine lasted for a year, which flies in the face of any known "detox" from other drugs, but which is very common. It's called Protracted Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Syndrome, similar to Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info everyone.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Chris, how are you doing?
Old 11-25-2011, 10:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey I'm doing good. I'm still at .5mg a night ( I did .25mg the other night though) My doc thinks I have a chemical imbalance from abusing pain meds for 4 years (hydrocodone then on to oxycodone for the past 5 months). I'm about to start Subutex to help with the opiate withdrawals. I'm only planning on using it when I absolutely need it and only for a few weeks hopefully. My doc also prescribed Zoloft to help with the chemical imbalance that she thinks is causing my anxiety/panic feelings. I haven't started it yet either. I'm hesitant to mix it with the Subutex, even though she prescribed them both for me. Mixing medications freaks me out and makes me think that I might have a bad reaction and die. I guess we'll see how it goes. Starting the Subutex on Sunday. Wish me luck
Old 11-27-2011, 10:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Until you ween down on these drugs they will make you feel this way. And you could have a bad reaction.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just an update here. I stopped the xanax a few nights ago and have slept great with no issues whatsoever. Now if only the oxy was as easy.....onto the next....
Old 12-08-2011, 07:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Chris

D
Old 12-20-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Still no xanax or any sort of benzo and I feel fine. However, I'm having the hardest time starting suboxone for an opiate addiction. Would it be better to have my doctor taper me down and monitor my progress? I'm ready to be clean and free from this drug.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's always best to work with a Dr if that's what you're asking, Chris?

D
Old 12-20-2011, 02:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Be very careful of Xanax. it is useful for panic disorder, but is no ordinary tranquilizer.
It is similar to opiates chemically and has marked withdrawal symptoms. When it first came out it was marketed to Doctor's ( falsely) as a simple tranquilizer. It is not.
The withdrawal symptoms from this drug van be overhwhelmingly severe !

Dr Ira B ( MD)