Notices

Back in the hospital

Old 11-13-2011, 07:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back in the hospital

Well folks,
Back in the hospital... Last week my back went out again and when I say it went out - it went WAY the heck out! My disk on L5 finally gave way and completely ruptured. I was in my driveway raking leaves when it went.
I collapsed in pain and could not move my right leg.
Thank goodness I had my cell phone on me as my wife left with her friend earlier to go on a charity walk.
When the Ambulance got there I explained what was going on and they got me to the ER in 10 minutes. Doc's knew exactly what happened when they saw the X-Ray.
They took me into surgery pretty quit as my disk was putting direct pressure on my spinal cord.
When I woke up, there was my wife crying her eye out.
That was scariest part of the whole ordeal because I've only seen her cry once in 13 years (she's tough as nails).
So, here I am 4 days later in the hospital resting comfortably. They reduced my meds enough to where I'm actually coherent.

I had a long talk with my docs about my "issues" with pain meds" and they understood completely. While I did tell them that I never did ANYTHING illegal, etc - it was a matter of relying way too much on my meds and liking them too much.
Interestingly enough, my surgeon told me it was a damned good thing I was not using heavy when this happened because I could be paralyzed if I did not know what kind of pain I was in.
Since I had been clean as long as I was, Docs did not have to give me more pain meds than normal.
So folks, Yes I'm using at the moment but it's the kind of using that is supposed to be (with an IV) in the hospital.

I'll keep you guys in the loop and let you know what my progress is. Perhaps now that my L5 disk is fixed, I can live pain free and not need these meds?

One thing I want to say to everyone is thanks so much for helping me stay off the meds when I needed to. No one could ask for a better group of folks!

P.S. - Between a really good looking wife and a seriously cute nurse... I'm doing ALRIGHT! As Ron White said... "It's a good day Tator"!
Old 11-13-2011, 09:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

Hey Ivan,

I'm glad you're okay.

Just yesterday I was reviewing a medical case where the surgeon refused to operate on a woman because she was addicted to opiates. His reasoning was that he would not be able to control her operative and postoperative pain because she had blasted her dopamine receptors to the place she could no longer be anesthetized properly.

Don't think that can't happen. Good thing you were where you were when this happened.

And GOOD ON YA for being up front and honest with your docs.

Hang tight, and post when you can.

FT
Old 11-13-2011, 09:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((Ivan))) - sorry you're in the hospital, but seriously hope this takes care of the pain. I ruptured a disk in my back, years ago, and I never want to feel that pain again.

Fantastic on being honest with your doctor!! The last few times I was in the hospital, I told them "I'm a recovering addict" and though I was given pain meds, too (they were digging around in an MRSA infection), they quickly weaned me down to ibuprofen.

Keep us posted, healing prayers coming your way.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-13-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for all your nice comments! I may be going home on Tues and I can't wait to see my furry little kids! I was supposed to be home today but my intestines haven't "woken up" just yet after anesthesia. They've been giving me some meds to get my stomach going.
I had a long talk with the doc yesterday concerning my prior pain med issues and he said he was somewhat surprised I spoke so candidly about it. He said that in his experience, most abusers never say a word about prior addictions in the hope they can get as much of their DOC as possible after surgery. He mentioned that he wasn't overly concerned with me relapsing because I seemed genuinely determined to stay clean once I was through with the physical rehab. He gave me some good advice about determining what my actual and perceived pain was going to be (and yes - there is a huge difference between the two), also expectations of how my recovery should go.
My doc took me off the IV Dilauded today and dropped me down to pills to manage my surgical pain. I deliberately went a few extra hours without taking my meds (just to see how my pain was) MISTAKE LOL!!!! I quickly realized that surgical pain was not something to toy with.
Interestingly enough though, I do not "crave" my next round of medication like I did previously when I was taking the stuff regularly.
Again, a big thank you to all the nice comments from you guys. I'll you posted on my progress.
I am sooooo looking forward to the time when I no longer need (or crave) ANY medications. Looking forward living again (vs just living from day to day and hoping I have enough medication to last me until my next refill).
Thanks again folks! I'll keep you posted.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FT

Take full advantage of postop, where it is the only time in your life everybody is happy to hear you fart.

Ha!

FT
Old 11-13-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ivan!

I was just thinking about you yesterday - saw that you hadn't posted in a few and was hoping that it was for good reason - I'd say that this is a pretty good reason!

Good thoughts are being sent your way for a quick recovery!

Wishing you the best -

AEIOU