Notices

What was your first year of sobriety like?

Old 11-12-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What were the main milestones you reached?

What is the toughest thing about the first year?

What is the best thing about sobriety?

What are the main differences between you then and you now?

How were relationships then as compared to now?

How long have you been sober?
Old 11-13-2011, 05:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by johnrambo View Post

What is the toughest thing about the first year?

What is the best thing about sobriety?

How were relationships then as compared to now?

I don't have a whole year, but I am still going to answer. I really want to help this part of the forum stay active.

My first year of Sobriety....

What's it like?

Tumultuous. Mood swings. Facing realities about myself without being able to varnish the truth. Seeing what my real underlying issues are, the things I've been trying to outrun. Realizing that this life is MY gig. Finding out which things really matter to me and which don't as opposed to what I thought should matter etc. Finding out how frighteningly human I am.

Milestones...

I don't feel like I really had any. I don't really get the "good for you, you got through that sober" sort of feelings, more often it's just like "wow, I ma more messed up than I thought" when I see how I feel, think and react to things.

Toughest thing about the first year...

Not being able to lie to myself because of things I learned and experienced in recovery. New awareness. Fewer places to run and hide. The old tricks don't work anymore.

Best thing about sobriety...

Practical things, no hangovers, save money,no worries about the law, drunk driving, putting myself in dangerous situations, worrying about losing my job, etc.

Main difference between me then and now...

I act like an a**hole less often. I wish there were more differences. I don't have to hide so much of my behavior.

Relationships....

About the same, unfortunately, I am still repeating the same patterns, but I have less energy now to put up with my and their crap, so I have let some relationships slide, that should have been let go long ago. I think I am seeing more pathology in other people too, them using behaviors and patterns that I use. So, I am understanding more of how relationshps operate.

How long have I been clean...

I have not abused drugs or alcohol for six months.

I've been "in recovery" for two and a half years, in NA for two years. Not really rocking this thing.
I have other "process" addictions, which I have also been making progress on. I have not cut for over two years, and have been getting better about the food and sex abuse issues, but have not been completely clean in those areas.

I DO see progress as far as active addiction goes. I act out less, am more aware of my behaviors and choices, but I won't lie, it's slow going and my life has not had any major glorious turn arounds etc.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((JohnRambo))) - I've been clean for a little over 4-1/2 years. My first year was spent working like crazy, making living amends to my family for my relapse (rebuilding trust, which took a while), seeing family I hadn't seen since before I got involved with crack...at my uncle's funeral, and realizing they loved me, no matter what.

I'd started out praying to be "willing to be willing" and at some point, realized one of the "willings" had dropped off. I'd promised myself that I would work recovery as hard as I could for 6 months...if I didn't like it, crack was everywhere. At 6 months, there was no way I was going back.

I also had other issues - major codie, so have been working on that. Honestly, I don't remember major milestones. I just know that as each year goes by, I'm amazed at how far I've come. Life has thrown me some tough things to deal with. Some are consequences of my own actions, some are just "life".

I think the biggest thing is, I'm a responsible adult...something I TOTALLY was not for a long time. I don't spend money I don't have, I do what I say I'm going to do, I found out feelings are just that - feelings. I can get through the bad ones, be grateful for the good ones.

I spent more than 20 years numbing myself out with one thing or another. I don't have to do that any more.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-13-2011, 07:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((JohnRambo))) - I've been clean for a little over 4-1/2 years. My first year was spent working like crazy, making living amends to my family for my relapse (rebuilding trust, which took a while), seeing family I hadn't seen since before I got involved with crack...at my uncle's funeral, and realizing they loved me, no matter what.

I'd started out praying to be "willing to be willing" and at some point, realized one of the "willings" had dropped off. I'd promised myself that I would work recovery as hard as I could for 6 months...if I didn't like it, crack was everywhere. At 6 months, there was no way I was going back.

I also had other issues - major codie, so have been working on that. Honestly, I don't remember major milestones. I just know that as each year goes by, I'm amazed at how far I've come. Life has thrown me some tough things to deal with. Some are consequences of my own actions, some are just "life".

I think the biggest thing is, I'm a responsible adult...something I TOTALLY was not for a long time. I don't spend money I don't have, I do what I say I'm going to do, I found out feelings are just that - feelings. I can get through the bad ones, be grateful for the good ones.

I spent more than 20 years numbing myself out with one thing or another. I don't have to do that any more.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-13-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
a southern belle

Originally Posted by johnrambo View Post
What was your first year of sobriety like? like a real live miracle!

What were the main milestones you reached? sober vacation...sober bar-be-ques....sober weddings....sober parties and gatherings.

What is the toughest thing about the first year? making amends to the people that i wronged. facing humility and embrassing it.

What is the best thing about sobriety? inner peace!

What are the main differences between you then and you now? i do the next right thing....i dont look over my shoulder...i have no regrets during my sobriety.

How were relationships then as compared to now? so much harder then...so very easy and right...now.

6 days shy of 10 months
Old 11-13-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sorry for the double post
Old 11-13-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by steelmagnolia View Post
6 days shy of 10 months
I was kind of hoping people with 10 months or whatever would still respond. I should've worded the question differently, I was hoping people would end up responding just to share their experiences thus far; no matter how much time they had.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FT

Okay, I'm in.

What was your first year of sobriety like? Well, if I had to put it on a graph, it would NOT be linear. After initial detox was done, the worst thing has been regaining my strength over months and months. I was shocked at the initial lethargic, which did drag on for a few months. What has truly surprised me is that, even at 11 months now for me, I continue to feel better on a monthly basis. Better sleep, more energy, better looking skin even. Also, my endorphins now work -- i.e, I now get the old rush I used to get from exercising -- mountain biking and walking for me.

Pretty much what I just said.

What is the toughest thing about the first year? Depression, for sure. It has always been an issue for me. I've had to learn other ways to deal with it, some of which is doctor prescribed mild antidepressants, much of which is going back to doing activities I used to enjoy. For me, I went back to school.

What is the best thing about sobriety? By FAR, the sense of total FREEDOM from doctor visits, pharmacies, and pill counting. Also, I can go anywhere any time, and not fear someone catching me using. (like driving, no DUI worries)

The me now is redefined. The new definition is non-opiate-user. I've been a non-drinker for many years. Being a non-opiate-user is just as fantastic. The "simple" act of self-definition makes every decision not to use an easy one.

How were relationships then as compared to now? Married 40+ years to the same guy, who stuck with me through all this. Amazing he did not leave me. Now, we are even stronger together than we have ever been in all these years. The recovery actually enhanced our relationship, with him having witnessed my fall down and ability to get back up and live again.

It will be a year in December.