Notices

Addict or just mentally ill?

Old 11-06-2011, 08:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addict or just mentally ill?

So the quest for mental health treatment finally finished two weeks ago. I got into a good doc who seemed to accurately diagnose me. (Major depression and PTSD). He prescribed citalopram 40mgs.

Aside from some side effects (sleepiness, dry mouth), I haven't had the full effects hit yet but I am already less anxious. I haven't felt like using anything at all since then. I'm hoping this trend continues. I've never been medicated or had a good psych doc before.

Now I have this lingering question in my mind whether I am actually a drug addict or if I've just been self medicating my whole life. Is that possible? I guess time will tell right? we'll see how I feel at 1 month and 2 months.

Anyways things are okay..
<3
Old 11-06-2011, 08:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I guess only time will tell Texas, but it'd be nice, huh?
I wish you the best whatever happens

D
Old 11-06-2011, 09:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I have been sober nearly 11 years now and still the thought crosses my mind at times that it is possible I am not an alcoholic just a person who self medicated and wound up over medicating with alcohol for my bipolar/PTSD/depression. But ultimately the conclusion I come to each time is that it really does not matter because I am not willing to risk losing any of the ground I have gained over the years. I just don't consider the off chance that I could have a drink or two without impunity worth risking having everything crash back down on my head. It has been a big enough struggle to gain what little ground I have gained in the mental health area of my life. The memory of what my life was like at the end of my drinking is still very fresh in my mind. I never want to take the chance of becoming that person again.

I wish you well in your mental health treatment and hope you find relief.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's totally true. I don't want to give up the months I have. These sober/clean months have been amazing and I <3 the stability. I guess some wishful thinking. It's probably not the case but ya know, dreams

I'd miss my NA/AA friends though. I'd also have to find something to do on all those nights during the week when I'd normally be there.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great post...and great reply nandm...so true.... I have asked myself the same thing! and came to that same conclusion!!
Old 11-08-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been treated for major depression most of my life and I'm also a recovering alcoholic. I've read that the majority of recovering alcoholics also have a mental disease. They're separate and need different "meds".... medication and a serious program of recovery. AA works great in keeping me sober while my shrink keeps me sane. I need both.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations! It sounds like you might be good!

I started Zoloft 4 weeks ago, no effect yet good or bad it seems, but I am patient....

Went to my first NA meeting today

I know I'm an addict tho