Notices

Quitting codeine today

Old 11-05-2011, 02:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting codeine today

Hi all, I've got a similar story to half the people here I expect. I was prescribed some high dosage codeine tablets for pain relief about three and a half years ago, I was only supposed to have them for two weeks, but after that I started getting my own supply because I enjoyed the high. Fast forward 3.5 years and I have only gone two days without in all that time. Both of which were horrible. I'm taking up to 600mg a day, I don't know how serious this is 'compared to other people' but I do know I need to get off them. They've caused problems at home, financial difficulties, and I've had enough. I've spent too long telling myself 'I'll quit tomorrow / next week / I need some for that meeting at work / I need some to get through this day or that day'. I want to be able to wake up and not have my first thought be 'have I got some codeine' and then panicking if I haven't. When I can't get hold of any strong tablets I buy weaker ones from the pharmacy and take more. I have about 10 stores in a 15 mile radius that I alternate between. I'm sick of this drug ruling my life. I am quitting cold turkey today. I've tried twice before, as I mentioned above, and had no luck. This time I am determined though. I took my last dose yesterday about this time so I'm 24 hours in now. So far so good, got real aches in my legs and a banging headache. Got an upset stomach, but no chills or sweats. Hopefully I wasn't taking enough to get some of the symptoms I've read about. We'll see. I'm just posting here because I wanted to be able to speak to people who've had similar experiences.

Well, that's it I guess. Fingers crossed. Thanks for reading.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR ZeroSum

D
Old 11-05-2011, 04:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I`ve been there

Hi,
I went through the same feelings about quitting.
I have been using for 20 plus years and tried to quit 3 times, finally this time I really want it and also I had enough of the chasing, money problems etc...
I wish you the best of luck, I had to go to rehab center, I couldn`t do it alone, but I know you can if you really want it.
Stay strong, lorilou1