Notices

Recovery - yet another sign that it works

Old 11-04-2011, 12:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery - yet another sign that it works

I've been in recovery a little over 4-1/2 years. After living on the streets, obviously having no car (crack was more important), I found someone who took a chance on me (and my horrid credit report) that financed a car. I thought "okay, I really CAN get my life back". I'd always had a car, since I was 17, and it was a bit of a milestone.

5-6 years later and 2 cars (I totaled one..totally NOT drug related), and I just got the title to my car..it's MINE!!

To some, this may not seem a big deal. To me? It's proof that doing "the next right thing" really does work. I made one late payment, in all those years, and worked it out in advance, as I had enormous dental bills.

The title arrived today, and is up on my "special wall" of things that give me gratitude..the serenity prayer, cards from SR friends, pictures of me, mom and dad, etc.

When I relapsed, the thought of losing my car (AND the prospect of prison if my dad reported me to my PO) was what got me into recovery...not just "not using", which obviously did not work. My XABF#3 said "f the car" and that was my bottom with him. My car was the one thing that told me I COULD get my life back.

It gives me faith that all the struggles I'm going through with school will also be worth it.

We each have our own things that tell us "wow, this recovery stuff WORKS!". My car was one of those things.

I may still have the engine light on my car (needs a tuneup), have replaced the alternator, brakes and tires, but I've done it (except the tuneup). I have the most awesome mechanic in the world. His daughter has been MIA with drugs for years, he and his wife are raising her son who has spina bifida. He is like family. We absolutely adore each other and he has often done stuff without charging me. I've NEVER seen him without a huge smile on his face and he is an inspiration.

For those who are struggling, I can only say this. I've met many, many a struggle, but doing "the next right thing" has always paid off. It may take some time, the consequences of our using days may haunt us for a long time, but bit by bit, we get past them. Do NOT give up. I can honestly say that if it weren't for my friends here? I wouldn't be where I am.

"Recovery road" has it's ups and downs. I've had a lot of "downs" but each one has made me stronger. I've got over 4-1/2 years in recovery and STILL have consequences that I will have to deal with. Today? I have total faith that I will get past them.

Don't give up when life smacks you in the head. Reach out for support, and keep on working recovery. It is totally worth it

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-04-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's good that you have a solid positive perspective! Keep it up!
Old 11-04-2011, 01:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations (((Amy)))!

D
Old 11-04-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to you too Sickness

D
Old 11-04-2011, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Amy...very inspirational. Keep doing what you are doing...it is working and shows. A hugh congrats!! Glad you are here at SR.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Amy...thanks for sharing this wonderful milestone so I can say "YAY AMY!"

Note to self: "Do the next right thing." <--I like it!
Old 11-04-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Was just reading about momentum in another thread. Yes, the "next right thing" creates the positive upward spiral that I believe so strongly in. Your post is beautiful, Amy. Thank you.