Notices

2.5 years sober,accused of narcotic use!

Old 11-03-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2.5 years sober,accused of narcotic use!

I am new to this forum, so i guess i should start at the beginning. I am an RN who got busted sorting oxys (30 mg blues) at work almost 3 years ago. I had a huge habit of 300-400$ a day. I went through IOP, aftercare, countless NA and AA meetings. I am in a monitoring program for 5 years to keep my nursing license. I have to call daily for the color and submit pee once or twice a month. I have not had a dirty urine since being in IPN. (intervention program for nurses). I made my family broke due to my addiction and treatment. I finally got a job (after being unemployed for almost 2 years). I do not have access to narcotics, my new job is a discharge nurse at the same hospital I worked at before. I have never been given privledges to dispense meds, since the job description doesnt warrent it. Yesterday, I got pulled into the supervisors office and accused of diverting narcs. This was so shocking to me that it nearly threw me into a panic attack!!! I had to submit a ua and blood sample. Now I am not allowed to go back to work until the labs come back.Do I have a sign on my back saying "Hey, I am a drug addict, please blame me"? I know the labs will come back neg, but this whole incident brings back the despair, anxiety, fear and depression. I pray I can make it!
Help!!! B55
Old 11-03-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Let's assume you don't use....

Yes, there IS a target on our back. Other abusers will use use as an escape vehicle. Not a darned thing you can do about it except profess your innocence through a clean test.
Once your test is clean, you should request management test the accuser.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In recovery we do go thru different changes
in life. A change in marriages, maybe a job
change, relocating to a different city or state
and so on.

Hi Im Sharon and Im an Alcoholic.

My addiction was for alcohol instead of pills.

In recovery Ive learned that I was called
for a different kind of job in my life. Ive
had some paying jobs like Banker Teller,
Bakery Customer Service, Grocery Store
Customer Service and Retail. Today im
retired from that kind of work, however,
my new job is helping others who are still
sick with addiction by sharing my own ESH-
experiences, strengths and hopes with them.

This job doesnt pay money but Ive collected
many days sober by doing so.

Recovery is a new way of life for me for the
past 21 yrs. that has kept my bank filled with
dividends to draw on of service work for just
such emergencies.

Maybe my other jobs didnt last because they
werent the ones I was suppose to be doing
in order to help people. They werent the right
jobs to help people in.

AA service work was my calling in life. The job
I was called to do.

Your job is helping people and I pray it is not
in jeopardy.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel a little better tonight knowing I am not hiding in a corner and covering my face! I was very near suicide when I went through this for real a couple of years ago. I refuse to go down that road! I am proud of my sobriety and will fight this till the bitter end, even if I lose my job. I think this is some kind of test and I will overcome and prosper! I work with many nurses that call off for hangovers, come to work hung over, some on benzos and pain pills! I come to work clean. Havent missed a day of work since starting back at the end of March. I am a scape goat for some other addict that needs help...I hope they find the one that needs to be caught. I am grateful every day for being back to work and being alive. My labs will come back clean, as I have had clean UA's 4 times in the last month. Drug and etoh test the 7,000 people that work for this organization, and believe me, half the work force will be in forced recovery programs! This must be a test of my belief in a higher power to pull me outa this mess! Thanks for all the responses i have recieved and possibly will recieve. Just venting helps so much, as I don't feel like talking about this in face time.
bella
Old 11-03-2011, 04:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry Bella - I think sometimes our history does make us an easy target - especially in a field like yours - but all you can do, all any of us can do, is not worry about anyone else - always keep your own side of the street clean, and always hold your head up high

Welcome to the boards

D
Old 11-03-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks so Dee, I will remember this!
Bella
Old 11-03-2011, 04:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((Bella))) - I gave up my nursing career, rather than jump through the hoops, but I have a friend going through it and I admire you both. I'm back in school for health information tech and am going to have to face the "why did you leave nursing" and several not-good references (plus a hospital chain I am banned from working) when I get out and try to get a job.

Yes, I think it is like we are going to be the ones suspected, but as long as we're not using, just take the test. Personally, I hate the consequences of my using and wonder if they're ever gonna go away, but have faith that we will, eventually, have that "target off our back". The charge nurse in the ER I was eventually caught in was in the GA program, and admin absolutely adored her...recommended I talk to her (with her permission) and I did, but I was too stuck in denial.

My sponsor (back when I went to AA) was another nurse..worked in the treatment center. They both went through the "proving themselves" and got through it. You will too

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-04-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Bella,
Congrads on coming clean (pun intended). I will tell you that I (with FEW exceptions) have never told anyone that I had trouble with prescription medications. I know from my family and former law enforcement days that a "druggie" label NEVER goes away. As a matter of fact, it compounds your every day life because 1. No one understands what you've been through and 2. It's easier for people to cast you in that negative light than give you any benefit of the doubt.
It's a shame but an unfortunate part of life.
Always remember that you are always responsible for yourself. Don't worry about what others do, but rather worry about yourself and those close to you.
You are probably right about half the med staff abusing... Those that know you were a former abuser will certainly paint a target on you to draw attention for yourself.

I will give you a good example...
About 22 years ago I had a fellow service member accuse another of taking narcotics off duty. He was quite adamant about it. While a discreet investigation ensued, I told the Command officer that the accuser's actions were a little disproportionate to the situation and that some attention needed to be paid to the accuser. I took our drug dog to his apartment (it was on base so no warrant needed) and the dog alerted. We didn't find anything at first but weeks later we found cocaine and mushrooms. He was busted, court marshalled, and dishonorably discharged.
What happened was that the accuser was running defense with someone he didn't like. He did not count on someone calling his bluff.
Is this what has happened to you? Maybe!
Just remember to keep yourself in check and you'll be OK. Don't freak out, Keep your witts about you. The Truth will set you free - cheesy cliche but soooo true!
Old 11-06-2011, 01:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for all your replies! Yes, I am beginning to realize that I might always have to deal with situations like this. I will be calling my supervisor twice daily starting Monday for the lab results. I am trying to stay calm...I know the labs will be clean, but they can still terminate me if they think i did it. If that happens, the IPN will force me back in rehab, make me start this thing all over again! This is what freaks me out to no end!! I have been clean for over 2 years, I don't need rehab, i need to keep my job for my sanity and my pocket book! I love my new job and i want to keep it!! does anyone out there in sobriety land know if if i can do anything legally if i get wrongly terminated?
I flat do not think this is fair!

Bella
Old 11-06-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think part of keeping your cool is NOT phoning twice a day for the results.

That might seem like you aren't sure if you're getting away with a dirty test.

Memeber, you are clean, you will not test pos.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

The good thing, they didn't fire you. Where I work, if you fail a drug test, they don't have to keep you employed.
Trust can take many years to rebuild. Sounds like, you have a co worker that doesn't like you.. No matter where you work, you'll have people that, will lie about you.
Since, you're clean, you'll be vindicated.
It's a humbling process we have to go through. Hold your head up and be a good worker. The best revenge is living well
Old 11-08-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Bella,

I too am a recoverying addict. I was working at a mail order pharmacy back in 1996. I had 5 years clean. I remember a bottle of 500 T3's were missing from another station. Well, they were found at the very top of MY STATION, in fact, I found them while filling a script. So not only did someone rip them off, but stashed them in MY STATION till they could safely remove them at a later time.

Well, I was kind of bummed, feeling a bit set up, however I knew I was not at fault whatsoever, so I never really let it bother me too much as I knew I had nothing to hide. Eventually I took another job at a different company and left. 2 weeks after starting my new job Jimmy our pill stocker got busted for ripping off, you guessed it, T3's! They sent him to rehab, and I never heard anything after that.

You too will be vindicated, as your test will come back clean but the other guy, he will get caught eventually..... however it might not be in your timing, and it may be down the road, but just remember, you and your HP know the truth!!

Blessings, Lily