Notices

oxycodone 5mg user wanting to quit!!!

Old 11-01-2011, 09:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

oxycodone 5mg user wanting to quit!!!

I am new to this forum site... In january I was diagnosed with stage 3 rectal cancer. My Dr. prescribed me oxycodone 5mg for my pains. This was the very first time I ever took oxycodone. I started taking 2 pills as needed for pain. got to the point where I was taking roughly 6 pills a day. I have been on oxycodone ever since. And the only reason I continue to take them is because I tryed quitting and the withdrawls were too much. My cancer is gone and I have no pain... and I want so much to be off these pills. But I can never sleep and I have to work. I have about 6 pills left and I dont want to refill them. Can anyone tell me what to do as far as the sleepless nights, and withdrawl syptoms?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Tampanate
you'll find a lot of support here

I'm glad you beat the cancer

D
Old 11-02-2011, 12:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you!! now I have to beat the withdrawls!!
Old 11-02-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Tampa - congratulations on your great medical news!!!

You have not been on too high a dosage so your withdrawals should not be too bad - maybe a week of discomfort followed by a little bit of extra tiredness. With a low dosage the worst of the acute symptoms seem to run 3-4 days but every one is a little different.

The typical withdrawal symptoms tend to mimic a tummy virus with restless legs and some insomnia thrown in. I took lots of hot showers, immodium for the tummy stuff and did my best to rest. Pump LOTS of fluids for at least the first two weeks!!! Preferably gatorade, juice, vitamin water - anything but soda or caffeine (although some like ginger ale for nausea). As soon as I was through the worst of the acute symptoms I forced myself outside to get a walk in everyday to get my endorphins flowing again...

I did not get an ounce of sleep for the first 2.5 weeks but then my usage (length of time and dosage) was orders of magnitude greater than yours. 50 some odd days later I am sleeping lots and have regained most of my original energy level.

If you would like more into about the withdrawal process please ask and a bunch of us will be glad to share more.

Hang in there and let us know how you are doing....