Notices

Xanex 30 years Want Off !!!

Old 11-01-2011, 08:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Xanex 30 years Want Off !!!

Hi, I have been prescribed xanex for 30 years. I started at .25 and am now at 2 1/2 mgs. every night. I weaned down from 3 mgs. for months and still have problems, I think ?
I am Terrified of going to get help, I don't know what or how much they will do for me ? I am afraid the Dr. won't want to help me because she should not have rxed for so long as it is.
I am Terrified either way, I have severe depression, panic attacks and ocd, this is what they started me on them for.
I feel all of these problems are Worse due to the Xanex ? I am afraid I have Brain Damage after this long ?
Anyone know what they do in Detox?

Thanks for any insight
Old 11-01-2011, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi nohope

I've never taken xanax on a regular basis but I think it's pretty much common sense to suggest you think about seeing another Dr, preferably one who's versed in benzos and withdrawal from them.

I hope others with more benzo experience than me will be along soon.

Welcome to SR - I think there's a lot of hope for you, by the way
D
Old 11-01-2011, 10:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((nohope))) - welcome to SR! I agree with ((Dee)) - find another dr. that is knowledgeable about benzos and withdrawal. There are a few threads on the substance abuse forum, I believe, about benzo withdrawal. My limited experience is that a family member had to go into detox for them, and they had her taper down, but not quit, until she could get in.

You are not alone, there are a lot of people here who are in recovery or still struggling but trying. Our DOCs (drugs of choice) may be different, but I've found that we all have a lot of similarities.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-01-2011, 10:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would definitely see another doctor, but first look around or call around to find someone versed in benzo withdrawal. Thirty years is a long tie, but the dosage you are on won't win any prizes -- I detoxed from a prescribed dose of 20 milligrams of Klonopin.

The present wisdom is to taper the drug for a relatively long period. The Ashton method is described at benzo.org.

You might want to talk to your doctor about tapering and ash if he/she is versed in the tapering method.

I would strongly advise against going cold turkey or following anyone's advice who says just stop taking it. That could set up up for a protracted withdrawal...not pretty.

But you can do it. And I admire your courage for recognizing it for what it is -- an addiction. Personally, I found I needed the help of AA and Na to get clean.

Many people find they can taper relatively quickly and get by without significant withdrawal symptoms.

I also advise against freaking out an believing everything you read about the severity of withdrawal -- we're all different.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Impurrfect, First I want to Thank You for your your reply.
I LOVE your name and pictures, I am a Feline Fanatic myself.

Thanks Again, hopeless
Old 11-02-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi, How long did you take this Drug ? That is what scares me a lot, 30 years is a looooong time !
I am sure I am Dependent on it in every way possible and I know it has to have changed my Brain to some degree. I'm not even sure with my Panic if I want to try getting off 100% ? I am 57 have other health problems and if it takes years, I may go through hell and then die ?
I know I make no sence sometimes/hence "xanex" I want to feel Normal and not Depressed all of the time. I think Xanex has worsened my depression, that is why I want off ?
I need to figure it out? I am thinking about getting the ASHTON Manuel and start by HER methods, to at least start tapering. I will go Very Slow because I am Terrified of the withdrawl.
I have to see my Dr. in a few weeks and I am going to ask her about it again, she said I would have to go into a Re-hab, so just stay on it !

Thank You, (so much for quick reply) sorry
Old 11-02-2011, 02:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi dee74, Thanks for your reply. I agree I think I will have to look for another Dr.
I am just so Terrified !