Notices

Quick question

Old 10-29-2011, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quick question

Was wondering if any body on here that is addicted to opiates has tried wellbutrin or seroquel? I just got put on the wellb. for depression and seroquel for anxiety but the seroquel tends to give me a euphoria .....i have read up on it and sum say its addictive i just dont wnna start another pill that i cud end up addicted too. Just wondering cuz i do have anxiety and depression very very bad and im thinking seroquel is less addictive thn valium or xanax so just some input if any of u wonderful people have one ~~~~
Old 10-29-2011, 02:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Listen,
I read your earlier post about how you relapsed. You need to seriously ask yourself if you are ready to stop. It is so important that ALL of you - all of SaVeMe81 -be on board for this journey: Mentally, emotionally, spiritually, and physically. The addicts and former addicts on here struggling for recovery every hour of every day face the challenge of temptation. But, you have to find it in yourself to just STOP. I read that post about you relapsing today, and I was reading the DRUGS talk, not you.

I'm an addict to opiates, and I'm in recovery. I've got about a month under neath my belt (with one relapse - one pill one day), but I'm over a week away from that slip-up. So, I'm speaking from experience.

The fact that you are reaching out for help is a positive. It says that there is a part of you that does want help. You need to cling onto that voice that gets drowned out every time you have/want the chance to get high. The drugs are making you a slave to it, remember that. And you won't magically wake up one day and want sobriety unless (1) you are literally on your death bed because your body is giving out, (2) you are in jeopardy of losing your marriage or children, (3) you are flat broke and in danger of losing your job, home, etc, or (4) you are arrested and jail might be your next home, or (5) your literally have no access to the drugs anymore and will face withdrawals.

If you harness the desire to get clean, the above scenarios won't force you into it.

Now, onto your depression. It goes hand in hand with drug/alcohol abuse. Realize that. Most of us addicts have depression and that is why we escape to drugs in order to not deal with it. But, at the end of the road, we must face it. And sometimes that requires the help of anti-depressants. There is no shame in that.

Wellbrutrin - you should read up on it. It takes a few weeks to really get in your system, and during this time, some find it difficult to tolerate. I was on it for 2 weeks, and the side effect of nausea and severe migraines were enough for me to stop taking it. My doctor told me that is typical. It usually takes 3 weeks for it to work and stabilize in your system.

That was my experience on it, however, everybody's body chemistry is different. Just make sure you do the research and know what to expect.

As far as Seroquel, I was put on that a long time ago. Again, I didn't have a good reaction. I literally felt like a zombie, was numb to feelings, couldn't hold an intelligent conversation, couldn't laugh or cry - just numb. But, it could have been that I was on too high of a dose. I know plenty of folks on it, and do good with it. I never experienced euphoria on it...I experienced complete disconnectedness with everything.

Seeing as you have anxiety and depression really bad, these drugs may or may not work for you. If they do, and you can get to an appropriate dose for your body, great. If they don't work - there are plenty of other medications that are out there - under a doctor's supervision - that you can try if these initiate ones don't work. Make sure you are completely honest with your doctor. That is critical.

Keep in mind, though, that just because you are on an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety drug, doesn't mean you can ignore your addiction tendencies. Those meds won't solve your drug issue. Don't rely on the meds to "fix" that part of you...it is still there. You have to do some seriously difficult work in stopping your addiction. No med in the world is going to cure that for you.

Please stay strong during all this, and know we are out here to help you. But, YOU need to commit. You need to seriously commit towards a choice for sobriety. No words on here can magically do that for you, but keep reading and taking in information, and perhaps at some point, your brain will be like, "Oh my god, I want out of my addiction". But, it is entirely YOUR choice. Take that step...take it NOW. No more drugs, party time needs to be over now my friend. We are here for you, but show us you are ready, ok?

Prayers and hugs to you.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you trying ! I know wat u are telling me is oh so true i just wish this wasnt like the hardest thing ive ever had to do in my life i think back how i have wasted eight years of my life as a slave to my drugs .........this isnt a way to live its defintly a way to end up in jail or dead ......i thank u for ur support and tomorrow is a new day , i am erasing all my dealers numbers outta my cell phone and since i dont know their numbers by heart once i delete i will have no way to contact them in fact i just did it right now .....so i guess tomorrow starts the road to recovery for me i must take this not one DAY at a time but more like ONE HOUR at a time ...that advice came from a good friend who was addicted to crack for ten years he told me go hour to hour and not worry about anything else he said to first detox stop using then start NA meetings ... im really scared to go to meetings alone and idk everything is scary right now i hope and pray this can finally be it ! I used to work in a nursing home ... i loved my job a cna ...worked there a few years then tried pills and never stopped after seven years working full time there i got fired for multiple reasons number one calling in sick wen i was withdrawling so now i have no job my days filled with finding my pills or crying sick in bed ...a shame cuz i took alot of pride in my job but now days i wont even fill out an application in fear i know i wont be able to hold it down as long as im using ......ive lost so very much using im praying to get clean get a good job and be myself again the girl i know i can be a girl i once was before the devil (Opiates/benzos) got such a tight grip on me! I cannot tell u how this site helps reading that i am not alone that many others suffer addiction just like me ......and to read how people like you have been opiate free for a month two months etc is VERy inspiring to me ........maybe im not hopeless ~~~:ghug3
Old 10-29-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have spoken to your Dr about your concerns, SaVe?
Might be the best place to start?

D
Old 10-29-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sav, from my own personal experience, Wellbutrin doesn't work at all if you are on opiates. And my Dr seconds this. I quit Wellbutrin after being on it for many years after being on Oxycodone for a year. I suffered no withdrawal from the Wellbutrin whatsoever and noticed no difference or drop in my mood (which was elevated from Oxycodone).

I quit Oxycodone a few months back and fell onto a terrible depression. I started up again on Wellbutrin. It had been about a year since I stopped taking it. For the first 4 or 5 weeks I had a terribly difficult time adjusting to it. Then it seemed to kick in and I was doing ok. Unfortunately I started using on Oxy again ( stupid!) and again stopped the Wellbutrin. Dumb.

Anyway, I quit Oxy again almost one week ago. This time I did something different though. I called all my Drs and told them I was an addict and to NOT fill any scripts for
me. I have no street source so this time has to be the end.

By the way, today is Day 6 free from opiates and I feel good!