Notices

lamictal & fatigue

Old 10-25-2011, 03:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

lamictal & fatigue

i saw a psych. about a month before going on suboxone, and in turn, stopping pills/alcohol. he said he wanted to try me on lamictal (mood stabilizer) - unfortunately, i didn't go back to him because i was seeing a psych who specialized in substance abuse and was prescribing suboxone. he now does all my med management.

i was taking 50mg for a month or 2, i dont remember, and then my current psych upped it to 100. that was too much for me, because i experienced extreme fatigue. i was falling asleep while driving (which is NOT common for me). we went back a step to 75mg at night, and stayed there for a few months. last week, we increased it to 100mg, still at night.

my extreme tiredness has gotten so much worse - this weekend, i slept from fri night at midnight until 1pm saturday afternoon, then on and off until 3:30pm when i had to get up to go somewhere. then i slept from 2am until about noon on sunday - i felt like i couldn't sleep anymore! until a few hours later, when i was barely staying awake again and then did fall asleep. i'm falling asleep practically any time i drive, at work, etc. this is even with increased caffeine. i'm pretty healthy overall - i go to the gym regularly, eat pretty well, take a multivitamin. so i don't understand why i'm just SO tired.

i have to get off this medicine! i'm not looking for medical advice, because i will speak with my psychiatrist, but i really would love to hear any personal experience from anyone who has been on this or similiar meds, or even experienced the same fatigue after sobriety. (fyi, i'll be 5 months sober in 1 week, if the timeframe makes any difference) something has to change asap because not only is it really crappy, it's dangerous.

thanks in advance!

eta: i am not bipolar, but have some manic/depressive tendencies. i have severe anxiety and sometimes depression, and borderline personality disorder. i take prozac and xanax, too, as well as suboxone.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Try checking out a site called www.crazymeds.org. It's great and full of personal experiences.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

@Esyla I am not a Dr but I'm not exactly sure y they would put on lamictal in the first place? And im going to guess that if the meds affect u like that you that's not what u need. I know that our bodies tell us what we need and it sounds like ur body ia rejecting it. Personally this medication has done wonders for me but then agian I am bipolar. My body needs the med u however dnt sound like its what u need. i have never heard it being used as a mood stabilizer .I have no side effects which os y I like it it helps me w/o changing me . O hope tjis was somewhat helpful . Maybe u should get a second opinion from a different Dr.