Notices

Need help re: 11 yr old son (right area??)

Old 10-25-2011, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need help re: 11 yr old son (right area??)

I posted this under the forum of "Disassociative Disorders" as well because I am seeking guidance. It's not word for word, but general idea.....thanks!

I have an 11 year old son. He is a sensitive, smart, good boy. He has in the past year struggled with anxiety over storms. We live in Florida, so afternoon thunderstorms during the summer are very common and hurricane tracking, tropical storms, etc...He has "worried" about storms, but this year it seemed to get progressively worse. He actually had at least 2 panic type attacks that I am aware of. He avoided spending the night places, or even going in town with us, so he could be at home if a storm came. He obsessed about them. That is concerning, but what concerns me even more is the fact that he has had a few conversations with me now about "reality." Last night was the most recent and probably our third one over the past year. He has said things like, "He feels that this world is a program," "He feel like maybe he is the only person left in the world and and has been transported here and is in a "pod" type of thing and we are taking care of him," "He has said he feels like this life is only happening to him and not anyone else." He also will ask us (mainly me and his brother) questions to confirm that we are here with him and that this world is real. Last night we were all reading together on his bed and he would ask me what color was his desk that was behind me. He feels like if he questions us about something we can't see, but he can then he can confirm that we are here.

Me and his dad have been married for 14 yrs, and he has one older brother who is 13. I have had panic attacks and had episodes of disassociation, but they were abuse related. He has not suffered from any abuse or traumatic incidents. My husband has gone through several layoffs, but we have managed to keep our home. Any ideas.... disassociation, depersonalization, something more serious?? Thank you!
Old 10-25-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome

I'm not sure anyone can diagnose your son over the net seekinganswrs - have you spoken with a therapist, Dr, or counsellor?

D
Old 10-27-2011, 09:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's really time to see a therapist ... good luck!