Notices

meth addiction

Old 10-23-2011, 05:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

meth addiction

My boyfriend relapsed from meth...last night and I'm having trouble trusting him with everything. Any advice from anybody? What is it like trying to stop using??
Old 10-23-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome greengrumby

You'll find a lot of support here.

I never did meth but once and hated it...but I certainly had to work hard to regain my loved ones trust from other drug and alcohol use.

Trying to stop is damn hard but support makes it a little more bearable, at least in my experience. I hope your bf is thinking about support.

As far as you yourself, what's your support?

you might find the Friends and Family forums here is useful to you too:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...tance-abusers/

D
Old 10-23-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((greengumby))) - meth was never my thing either, but I was a die-hard crackhead. My stepbrother did meth and stole a lot of stuff from my dad. He also got really, really paranoid and I've known several meth addicts that turned violent.

(((Dee))) is right about YOU finding support. He needs support of people who understand addiction. Not saying you can't support him, but there's a difference between being supportive and being an enabler (I'm also a recovering codependent so spend a lot of time on the thread ((Dee)) gave the link to).

Personally, I'd make sure he has no, or very limited access to money, checks (they'll take one out of the middle so you don't notice), jewelry, or anything that can be pawned. My ex wiped me out of everything including the vacuum cleaner when I first started crack, got locked up, came home to an 1800 square foot home totally empty.

I admit I'm a bit skeptical. I used to trust everyone, and I do, to some extent. However, when an addiction is involved, you have to PROVE to me I can trust you, and that means working recovery. I had to do the same with my family...prove I was worthy of their trust.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-24-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Meth was my drug of choice, and I gotta say...relapsing is serious business. Not only do you have the actual use itself, but you gotta remember that your boyfriend is probably hanging out with other meth users.

I've known some very scary and dangerous people when involved with meth, and my advice to you would be to continue to support him...but from a distance. You don't want any harm coming to you because of his use.