Notices

Gripe

Old 10-21-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Gripe

You know, I've been feeling pretty good on this last drug I've been taking, Effexor. It's the first SNRI I have ever taken and the added energy boost has been great for me on top of it helping my mood.

Recently, we upped the dosage due to the shortening of days and colder weather setting in. An annoying cough that I developed since taking Effexor got HORRIBLY worse. I was waking up in the middle of the night coughing to the point of almost choking. I had to go to an ENT and he prescribed Nexium, which didn't help at all. I've also developed IBS since taking it and yesterday I was told by my gynecologist that my thyroid looks and feels enlarged and to get it checked out.

Since reducing my dosage by 1/2 (due to my cough turned into almost choking at night), which was a REAL problem, this cough has almost stopped so I know Effexor is what caused it (how exactly, i don't know...nexium did nothing so I do not think it was acid reflux). However my hair is still falling out and now I am worried about my thyroid.

I guess I am just venting because I feel the one major, and I mean MAJOR, issue with all the antidepressants is this wide range of serious side effects that a lot of doctors are not familiar with or don't want to believe is related to the drug. Some of these side effects are listed as "rare" even though they become a major issue for a significant problem for a lot of people. Every psychiatrist I have seen just sort of looks at me blankly if I ever describe side effects because the range of possible side effects for different people is so huge.

I've taken everything: Prozac, Zoloft, Effexor, Lexapro...the list goes on and on. They have all had side effects that make me feel it is pure stupid to keep taking them. It really sucks that I am left to feel I don't feel like taking this stuff at all anymore because the side effects are just not well known enough or taken seriously enough. I am tired of playing guinea pig with my body.

Thanks for letting me vent!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh yea side effects. Effexor can raise blood pressure which it did in me. So I was prescribed a BP medication which also lowers potassium (which it did in me). So I was prescribed potassium. My BP was still high so I was prescribed a second BP. So, I'm taking three more meds each day because of Effexor.

You know what? If I had to take 10 more meds I'd do it because my life, my mind is fabulous on Effexor.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have that GERD reaction, waking up coughing on vomit and vomiting on my pillow from remeron occasionally. That is more than unpleasant it is very scary. However with decades of prescriptions behind me it is the only thing I can take to help me sleep. One of the side effects is that it is also prescribed for people who need to gain weight. yuk, makes me munch down and crave carbs and sugars and then I have that GERD. So, I just have to mainly control what I eat in the evenings. My pdr suggested prilosec and raising the head of my bed if needed. He is an awesome pdr. I have had many lousy ones.

I take effexor, it is working well for me after a long list of rejected antidepressants. I guess we never know which will work and which ones will cause which side effects. They seem to react with such wide variety between individuals.

You know your history, your feelings, thoughts, needs best. Be your own advocate with your dr until you are able to resolve things in a way that satisfies you.

Like dglover, I choose to continue the remeron most of the time because it is uniquely helpful to me where everything else has failed. It is worth the trade off to me to find a way to work with it. That is my choice. If I change my mind I will go discuss trying something else..maybe something that didn't work 15 years ago because my life and chemistry has changed in the last 15 years with my dr.

Ultimately it is your choice to make.

Almost everyone I know has been the guineau pig and HATES it. We all agree with you there.

Most of us have side effects. I went from being 105 or so my whole life to gaining 80 pounds. 80 freaking pounds at one point. I turned into an oink and it was devastating to me. I do not weight quite that much now still I am very heavy for me. But the misery I was in at 105 pounds is not worth dropping the meds that are finally helping me heal so that I can fit into my smaller stylish clothes again.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Poison Eater Extraordinaire

Just an update....I switched to Cymbalta (another SNRI) and have been on it for a couple of weeks. Not feeling *as* up and I notice I have start ruminating over things a lot more that upset me (as in annoy). I am only on 60mg so I may see if the dr. will up it - but I can't give up with the antidepressants....but man, I loved how I felt on effexor....so positive, energetic and clear.