Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Question for military - especially if you've been to Afganistan. Hash?

Notices

Old 10-18-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I read on another thread about a US solider coming home from his 1-yr tour of duty in Afganistan with an addiction problem because he started smoking "local hash" while he was there.

How pervasive is its use among our US troops?

Is it just a small minority that are secretly using this stuff? Or are the majority of them are using it and there's no risk of getting busted because the NCOs and COs are either using it too or looking the other way?

I looked it up and it sounds like it's similar to pot...which is just awesome because my SO use to be addicted to pot back in college and one of the biggest reasons he stopped was because the military does drug tests. He is an E7 in admin now and is going to Afganistan in early 2013. Three yrs ago, he started drinking and quickly developed an addiction. I had broke off our engagement serveral month ago because of his drinking. He has been sober now for 2 months (using antabuse) and is convinced he has the problem licked. He recently stopped taking antabuse and is still pushing to get married but Im unsure...and his coming deployment....along with this local hashish is making me nervous.

I found this article where a Commander is claiming we should have our troops smoke this stuff to make friends with the afgan soliders!
Those Politicos: Sharing hashish pipe key to winning Afghan hearts and minds, U.S. commander says
Old 10-18-2011, 10:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Afgan and Iraq

Hey there! I read your post and it made me curious so I talked to a buddy who's been to both Irag and Afganistan about the whole hashish dealio. He said he heard of some peeps smoking but that it was not very pervassive, mostly because it's lengthy stay in your system and the possibility of drug testing but that it is readily available.

He said the DOC over there for the troops are stimulants I.E. blow, which makes sense it only stays in your system briefly and keeps them super alert. I personally could not imagine running around with automatic weapons and what not on blow but that's the word on the street. Hope that helps ya and I hope your man returns safely. God Bless!
Old 10-18-2011, 11:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for looking into it! Your post helped lot!

Do you know if blow is addictive? Is it similar to cocaine>

This is the link to that article i mentioned in my above post:
Those Politicos: Sharing hashish pipe key to winning Afghan hearts and minds, U.S. commander says
Old 10-19-2011, 07:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Anyone read that link? Ridiculous
Hard to take it seriously.....I mean come on...what Genreral would be seen useing drugs?
He would be immediately removed of his command ..awaiting a court martial trial.

I'm guessing there are milatairy members who use all sorts of addictive substances...just like civilians
Grateful to know the VA has free de tox and treatment centers scattered around the USA..
has them since the '40's. they were instumental in the use of Antabuse.

My grandson served there for 2 years..came back multi wounded...now in college via theGI Bill.
He has never been addicted to anything...except trying to improve his life...

Last edited by CarolD; 10-19-2011 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have a good friend that has talked about smoking hash regularly during his deployment in Afghanistan. According to him the drug testing isn't as random as it seems. People will always find ways around any system. From what iIunderstand it's not a big thing just small groups of soldiers that get into it. "Blow" is super addictive but also nothing like pot or booze.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Addictive

Yes, coke can be quite addictive indeed. Everyone is different and how quickly one can become addicted will vary from person to person, but for me it took a while, kinda snuck up one me. However, when I wanted to stop it was not some huge ordeal where I was struggling to quit, I think I just wore it out or something, but it took like five years LOL. Anyways good luck with your boyfriend, if possible just nip it in the bud that way no time is lost.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not again

Originally Posted by AutumnBeauty View Post
First of all this is a joke aka; satire (google it, the whole qoute)

But good luck with your SO.....love those pet names the kids are using, how endearing.

Larry

PS and read the second google response "POLITICAL SATIRE...FAKE NEWS"
Old 10-20-2011, 10:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Larry, I almost didn't recognize you with the new avatar. I like it much better. Great cast - like the pink.

How is the arm healing?