Notices

Detox help

Old 10-13-2011, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detox help

After 2 year pain management stint on Fentanyl patch, dillaudid, opana, and Oxy, I decided to get clean. I got myself off the long acting stuff by switching to Roxy. I was taking about 8 or 9 Roxy a day for last two months with some Dillaudid thrown in.

Went to detox and they used Subutex for 8 day taper. I left detox on day 8. Felt sketchy still and took some Oxy to try and work. Felt okay last night, but woke up at 2 and 6 and took percocet each time.

I don't want to take anything else and want this nightmare to stop. So hard robot take just a little to function, but I should be past the worst.

I am probably just dragging it out by taking anything. Just need help and want to stop.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey RoxyBlues, whether it is from suboxone or roxys you are going to experience some withdrawals. Continuing to dose will only keep you from getting clean and getting the toxins out of your system. In a nutshell, yes you are dragging it out.

When you stop, expect a few days of flu like symptoms and most likely some insomnia. What dose did they taper you down to with the suboxone? That will help me know what you can expect in the withdrawal dept. Been there, done that...
Old 10-13-2011, 12:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Started last Tuesday.

14, 8, 8, 6, 4, 6, 4, 2 on Tuesday.

I think what I took pretty much got blocked. I just hit the gym and walked. Sitting out in Sun. Need to go back to work though.

Percocets I took last night are long worn off. Feel okay. I have some Ativan and sleep meds if necessary. Never took Ativan so no worries about getting hooked on it and would only use for a couple of days if withdrawal sets in.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like you may have ~3-5 days of light flu like symptoms ahead of you. The worst may be done over the weekend. Or maybe you dodged a bullet.

I have never done the rapid taper off of the subs but I do know that they are much longer acting than oxy/roxy. I am sad to say I do not know what the withdrawal period is for a rapid taper. Usually after being on them for a while it takes ~2-3 days before withdrawals get going in earnest off of them. Many folks have the traditional flu like symptoms and are back to themselves in a short while (~two weeks give or take at the 2mg dose) but each of us is different - some have had great success with the taper off of subs - some not so much. Hopefully someone else will jump on with more experience. There is also a suboxone thread below this substance abuse one that may shed additional light.

You are doing all the right things. If you start to feel bad post here and we will all jump on with suggestions on how to work through the discomfort. One thing that may linger, it has with me, is insomnia. That takes a while but you have meds so you may be set!
Old 10-13-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you so much. I have to get through this. Brand new baby girl counting on me.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All the best to you!!

PM me if you have any questions!!!
Old 10-14-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I keep taking 2 or 3 percocets a day for last three days since detox. Take one at night and one in the morning to try and go to work. I can tell subtext is starting to exit my system. I am hopeful that I can just ditch the percocets and sleep it off over the weekend since nothing needing to be done.

I am thinking the 20 to 30 mg of percocets is a far cry than the 300 plus mg of Roxy a day. Will the low dose percocets ease the subutex existing my system with a gentle little wean of 30, 20, 10 and them done or should I just bite the bullet and bear it now since I am at day 11.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Roxy, the lower the dose the easier the withdrawals for most of us.

I want you to understand that due to the length of time and the amount you were using - once everything is out of your system - you will most likely be uncomfortable for awhile. Chances are you will not be sleeping through anything unless the sleep medication you have is really potent ( I certainly do not advise taking any more than prescribed if you can't sleep).

It is my hope that you have a smooth landing but I also do not want you to be overconfident and not expect some uncomfortable symptoms. When we do not know what to expect we end up getting scared and running back to the oxy.

Hang in there - I look forward to hearing how you are doing!!! As always, if you have any questions please ask!!
Old 10-15-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Damn, woke up in pain and took two percocets. So bummed. The pain seemed to come back after Subutex is wearing off. Cannot live in pain and cannot live on narcotics to control pain. Anti inflamatories gave me 9 ulcers a year ago so my options are limited.

Only have 2 and 1/2 percocets left so no more cheating. I need to man up and endure the crap and pray that God will take care if me and my pain issue so I can live a sober life. My 3 week and 1 day little girl laying besides me needs me.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
FT

Roxyblues,

You might want to check out something called "hyperalgesia". It's easy to Google it. Sometimes opiates like Percocet can create the opposite effect to that which it is designed to treat -- they can create more pain than they cause.

Oftentimes when you stop opiates, you will have an enhanced pain reaction over and above what you had before. It is temporary and you just have to get through it. Later, other non-narcotic pain relievers will start to work again.

Meanwhile, you MUST chuck the pills, or you will just take them. When you are serious about recovery, you won't keep pills around "just in case."

FT
Old 10-15-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Roxy, sorry to hear you are in pain. Also very sorry to hear about the ulcers.

I broke my ankle in May and I am very happy to say that I can manage the pain comfortably with ibuprofen now. One of my good friends is an ER nurse and she keeps fussing at me to be careful with the NSAIDS and their effect on the tummy - I was eating them like candy to keep the pain at bay after I detoxed.

Any chance you can see a Dr. to see if there is a non-opioid method of pain relief that may work? There is also the option of going on a longer term suboxone treatment plan. Just be careful - my first sub doctor tried to keep me on them for life (long story - one that got very expensive as each visit and refill cost me upwards of $450.00 - I ended up having to taper off them myself over a period of several months). If you have good medical insurance you may be covered in the cost dept.

By the way - congratulations on your baby girl! I can barely remember what my son looked like when he was that young. Enjoy the young years because they eventually turn into teenagers who know EVERYTHING!!!
Old 10-15-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Now that I hear all of you I'm wondering I may not be doing this right. My doctor prescribed me Xanax for the anxiety which is unbearable for still on day 18. My live in fiancé keeps them in a safe so I don't over do it. If not I'd sleep for the next 2 weeks. So in the morning he gives me 1 mg Xanax and about 3 pm another 1 mg. For bedtime I take a 2 mg for sleep which doesn't really work but helps I think. Cause I'm starting to sleep a whole 6 to 7 hours straight now. I had no aches or pains last night! I eventually expect I will no longer need the Xanax like this morning I woke up feeling good for once and didn't even ask for my Meds till 1:00pm when anxiety came back. What do you think am I being realistic?
Old 10-15-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sent you a PM...

Old 10-15-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

FT. So true. Oxycodone gone. Gotta make it now. Can tell Subutex is out of system for most part. I do have some clonodine if needed.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Roxy, how is the detox going?
Old 10-18-2011, 07:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Feel better today. Last two days were rough. No more oxycodone. Did take an ultram, maybe 5 over two days. This morning got to work around 9:00 and feel better. Slight anxiety and a little bit of a head ache. I am hoping all uphill now. Been 15 days since I went to detox. A guy from a treatment center called me and said days 5 and 6 off the sub detox are the hardest. Yesterday was day 6 off the Subutex 8 day taper so hopefully I am getting close.

So wanted to go to my doctor appoinmeny and get my free bottle of Roxy yesterday just to not feel like death, but I didn't go.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good to hear Roxy, adding opiates to the equation takes us back to square one. I for one do not want to live through another detox.

The "feeling like death" stuff will not last. It just feels like it will. Hang in there - you are doing great!!!!