Notices

1st day off vicodin

Old 10-10-2011, 02:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st day off vicodin

Hello everyone this is my first time here, any info or help would be very usefull. Well here is my story, I'm a 28 year old male that has been strugling with addictions since I was 16 wether it was pot, alchohol, or pain killers (the one I'm having a problem with now). I have quit the pot and booze with very little problems but I can't seem to kick the vicodin. I was up to 25 750s a day and went on suboxone and thought I was doing good, I was clean for 3 months but my doc didn't reduce my dose and then I lost my insurance. That's when my problem came back to haunt me the withdraws from the suboxone were worse than those from vicodin I fell off the wagon and am back to takin 16 pills a day, 8 at a time. I can make it a day or two but that's as far as I've been able to make it. I'm on the verge of loosing my home, wife, and kids AGAIN and I am lost as to what to do. Anybody on here in the same boat as me, I'm hoping that talking to someone will help me beat this once and for all. Feel free to share anyadvice you may have. Thanks to all who read this
Old 10-10-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's tough!

Sounds like your in the same position as me with no insurance. My DOC has also been painkillers as of late although I never quit smoking pot and don't really drink and the occasional rail of coke. Is Suboxone super expensive without insurance? Are the people in your life aware of the problem or are you hiding, I myself have already lost the job, but not married or any kids so no risk of losing what you dont have. Im seriously contemplating my parents tonight or tomorrow I'm just trying to work up the courage to do so. I can't imagine my parents will turn me away and I bet that's the case if your family doesn't already know as well. I too was taking about 15 norcos a day which is a bit stronger than what you were and would gobble up 10 at a time. Just trying to get thru a couple more days of withdrawls before I really start seeking serious help other than on here, although I may try an NA meeting tonight if I Can find one. Don't lose everything, stop now while you still have things and people in your life it will only be worse if you don't. Hope this helped a little, and if you have came clean to your loved ones please share how and their reactions because im agaonizing over this.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey In Need - you are in the right place. Unless you taper down off of the suboxone the withdrawals are very uncomfortable. It is scary how many folks I am seeing on these boards who are not tapered down over a period of time by their docs.

I personally had to do the detox the hard way - I quit cold turkey from everything - subs and oxy and it is not fun but it is doable. You do not have to do it yourself - there are detox places in most metropolitan areas and you may be able to find one that works for you.

There are a ton of folks on here with your same story who have been able to make it to the other side and start a new life away from the painkillers, etc.

If you choose the detox at home way - you will find you will need a couple of weeks minimum to get the worst of the toxins out of your system. If you want more detail please ask and I will be glad to share my detox experiences with you. You can also PM me with any questions.

If you do not want to do this alone - you might want to google detox centers in your area or contact your local Salvation Army chapter. It is my understanding that they can refer you to the assistance you may need.

Please let us know how it goes.