Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

Well, I just performed a very minor surgical procedure on MYSELF.

Notices

Old 10-09-2011, 06:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

* DO NOT DO THIS AT HOME (or anywhere else for that matter).

The same pocket from my MRSA abcess on the arch of my foot filled back up. (The bottom of your foot is the hardest place to keep clean, and I never finished up the antibiotics they sent me home with) - which was also stupid.

I read that MRSA can linger in your system for weeks, months, years.

I did not pay my Health Insurance bill yet and it kept getting larger, buiding up the pressure making the pain ridiculous.

So, I dismantled a (brand new) ladies razor, doused it in Alcohol and Peroxide, here it comes................ and made an incision MYSELF. Now it isn't nearly as painful but I'm kicking myself in the ass for it. It went from feeling like a hard large marble, to maybe a fat pea.

My question and this isn't medical advice-- has anyone ever "RECURRING MRSA Infections"? I'll be going to see the Doctor later this week after I figure out how to pay my insurance. Last time the bills were covered by BCBS but in the tens of thousands of dollars (for the inpatient) costs.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Whoa! You are brave!!! Why don't you finish off the antibiotics that you have left over? And please keep that area super clean or it will get even worse. This is serious stuff. Take care.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

mrsa is hard to get rid of. phisohex is good to use to wash with.

you need to see your doctor. after treatment with ab's you need to get bloodwork done, in order to see if it is still in your system or not. be very careful, it is contagious too. and dangerous. you might have to take antibiotics for a while to get rid of it.
please get to your doctor right away. mrsa can get very very bad.
best wishes, get well.
Old 10-09-2011, 06:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I dunno if it was brave, stupid or a combo Sissy! lol Put the pain level went from an 8.5 to a 3. *unless I sit here an push on it, which I'm not doing* Before I semi-drained it, it felt like my foot was on fire, now it feels like I scratched it, if I keep pressure off of it.

So, it seems that MRSA is hard to shake and can stick around (I've done even more reading since I posted).

If you're back was against the wall and you had sterile equipment, knowing DAMN well, it's illadvised to do anything like this at home, out of desperation and pain, it shows you how far you'll go for relief... my mind was so set against any kind of prescription pill, I whipped out my own little drainage kit.

Again, Don't Try it! I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop, if I did something wrong.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would have drained it too. I wouldn't be able to sleep with all of that pressure. Just be careful. Please.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sissy07 View Post
Why don't you finish off the antibiotics that you have left over?
It doesn't do any good to take a partial course of antibiotics. Take the full course or don't bother.

Antibiotics: Misuse puts you and others at risk - MayoClinic.com

Consequences of antibiotic misuse

If antibiotics are used too often for things they can't treat — like colds, flu or other viral infections — they become less effective against the bacteria they're intended to treat. Not taking antibiotics exactly as prescribed also leads to problems. For example, if you take an antibiotic for only a few days — instead of the full course — the antibiotic may wipe out some but not all of the bacteria. The surviving bacteria become more resistant and can be spread to other people. When bacteria become resistant to first line treatments, the risk of complications and death is increased. In the United States alone, thousands of people die each year of antibiotic-resistant infections they contracted in the hospital.

The failure of first line antibiotics also means that doctors have to resort to less conventional medications, many of which are more costly and associated with more serious side effects. For instance, the drugs needed to treat drug-resistant forms of tuberculosis (TB) are much more expensive than are the drugs used to treat nonresistant TB. The course of treatment is long — up to two years — and the side effects can be severe.

Other consequences are the increased costs associated with prolonged illnesses, including expenses for additional tests, treatments and hospitalization, and indirect costs such as lost income.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey oxyious - I did exactly the same thing - I was out gardening three years ago (power gardening before my oxy ride got real bad) and noticed I had a bump on the front of my ankle. After a few days it was hideous - it had swollen up to the size of a softball. I won't go into great deal as to what it looked like but I was convinced from the swelling and pus that it was a Brown Recluse spider bite - after a week I lanced it (yeah, I was toasted on oxys) and used some old antibiotics. And yeah, the wound hurt like a son of a ***** before and after lancing.

Two months later the same exact thing happened on my other ankle after raking up more leaves. That time I went to the Dr. cause it got even worse than the previous ankle and that was when I learned about MRSA. That time they lanced it and dosed me up again with gobs of antibiotics. All that time I just thought I had a bunch of Brown Recluse spiders running around my yard.

The interesting thing is due to the MRSA I was put into a isolated room in the hospital this May when I broke my ankle and everyone had to gown up, use face masks and put on gloves before they came in even though it was three years after my ankle swelling incidences....I thought it was a pain but the kids thought it was cool when they came to visit me.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been hospitalized 3 times with MRSA, so yeah..it can recur. I'm told it's "latent" in me, which means I still have it, I just haven't had any flareups in a couple years. Last time a bug bite started looking not so good, I called my dr. and got a prescription and that did the trick because I'd caught it in time.

The REASON MRSA is around? In large part because people don't take their full course of antibiotics and the body gets just enough to build up a resistance. That's what the R in MRSA stands for - resistant. Might wanna call your dr. and get a refill and take the whole thing.

I'm not preaching...one OR visit and 2 incision/drainages were enough for me.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-10-2011, 07:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FT

Hi oxyious,

Everybody above is right! Not only don't people not kill all the bacteria when they don't take ALL their antibiotic, the STRONG ONES DIE LAST, so now you have the strongest MRSA bug from your infection still living on, and in, your body. No, you can't always get rid of it, but you can avoid it gaining entrance to cracks and crevices, and cuts, in your body.

I'd call the doctor today, tell him/her what happened, and they will probably put you on an additional course of antibiotics, probably a different one. Sometimes it was the wrong one to start with, and this is how they find out.

FT
Old 10-10-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Listen, its never gone till its gone. You need to get to the ER. What you did may spread it even more. I have had MRSA and also have seen it run rampant through the Florida DOC. Very nasty stuff. Just sayin...
Old 10-10-2011, 09:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yea bad stuff my dad ignored it and it made the bone where hid shoulder was replaced degrade now he has no shoulderand his arm hangs helplessly.Go see a Dr it can get bad
Old 10-11-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tbeit View Post
Yea bad stuff my dad ignored it and it made the bone where hid shoulder was replaced degrade now he has no shoulderand his arm hangs helplessly.Go see a Dr it can get bad
I'm successfully freaked out. Since I drained it, it's staying flat, hardly hot and no redness... NO pain at all anymore. The antibiotcs I had were for 1o days- I had/have 8.5 days worth. I can't afford a doctor or ER visit, so I'll take all of those and hope and pray that it works out. What I did was stupid in retro, but so far it's worked, but nothing is ever that smooth for me, something will go wrong, (but please send prayers) I just want this one miracle, I can't come up with 1900 for insurance and I can't have a hospital bill that big on my back. (THE US, if I had to pick one thing that sucked the worse-- its the healthcare system (screw the ppl that can't afford it)
Old 10-11-2011, 05:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

you might consider going to urgent care tomorrow. They tend to be much less expensive than going to the ER.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

(((Oxyious))) - I don't have insurance either. It's one reason I try to stay as healthy as I can, as I can't afford to get sick. If it seems to get worse, PLEASE get back to a dr. Yeah, a huge hospital bill is nothing anyone wants, but do you really wanna have this stuff get totally into your bloodstream? Trust me, you don't.

When I got home from having my last incision/drainage, I washed the tub out with bleach after I took a bath, made sure I got rid of bandages and stuff with NO chance of it coming in touch with anyone else. It's contagious and though I was on heavy-duty antibiotics, I didn't want to ever go through that again.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy