Notices

Day r ROXY Withdrawal Support

Old 10-09-2011, 02:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day r ROXY Withdrawal Support

Hello! I used to be hook on Oxycontin but have been clean for about 5 yrs until this past month. I visited my hometown and proceeded to smoke about 80 30mg Roxy pills over a 25 day period. I have since left and came back "home" where I have no mental desire to go back to Roxy's, but I am being ravaged by WITHDRAWALS. I smoked my last one on Wed. night, felt pretty rough on Thursday(hot/cold, fatigue), even worse Friday when I started having weird bowel movements and then I woke up Saturday to it all. Puking, diarrhea, cold/hot flashes. I have been able to get about 5 hours of rest a night, and here I am on Sunday and I have ZERO energy but the sweats, hot/cold stuff seems to be residing greatly. I have been able to down some bananas, granola bars, and fiber/vitamin shakes. I am wondering if my WD symptoms will not last as long as others due to my only 25 day abuse???

I weigh 157, and I am 5ft 11 with a high metabolism. I hear this helps?? Does anyone have a story similar to mine that can give advice? I am on day 5 and I have a HUGE week ahead of me. I have to speak at meetings for hundreds of people from this Wed through Saturday. Should I be ok??? I need HELP and am grateful for every persons input. Xanax, and any other prescriptions ARE NOT an option.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Desperate, the worst of the symptoms are usually 3-5 days but you still could feel kind of lethargic and icky on day 7. Once you start feeling better you are definitely on the mend but there will still be the occasional bad day.

You are doing all the right things. Good luck on your presentations - we have a member here who had to go to conferences on her third week clean and she survived - not my story so I will stop there...

Good luck to you - it is good to hear that even a mini-lapse still has repercussions. I needed to hear that.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do you think I could be over it all by Wed??? A chance since I only abused for 25 days??
Old 10-09-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FT

DesperateFL,

Something I was told by my orthopedic surgeon's office after I had surgery might help you. I was struggling to quit after surgery, and I didn't for 2 years, which is way past the 3 weeks they told me I would need pain medication postop.

I was told that most people only need pain meds for 3 weeks, and OF THAT GROUP, their average orthopedic postop patient would usually have some amount of withdrawals after only 3 weeks of opiate use. She told me that most of them just figured they had a case of the flu, and most were over it in a week. When I asked her why they didn't warn them, she said something on the order of not wanting them to feel like they were "addicted or something".

Well, it's not likely to have a physical addiction at 3 weeks, but a physical DEPENDENCE develops rapidly. If you are anything like their average ortho patient, then it would be reasonable to assume your withdrawals should be over in about a week.

Having said that, however, doubt their average ortho patient was taking high doses of dilaudid -- in fact, pretty much all orthopedic postoperative patients are put on a tapering dose immediately after surgery, or at least starting about 3 or 4 days after surgery. So, we're looking at people who had already tapered down on their dose before quitting, and STILL had withdrawal symptoms from short term use of the drug.

Maybe that analogy will help you make some guesses.

FT
Old 10-09-2011, 04:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

FT - You are a blessing on here for real. I feel like I am coming through the worst of it, but I hear of a lot of people doing better and then worse all of a sudden. Is that likely or unlikely in my case. I like your guesses more than my own! =)
Old 10-09-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FT

I would expect rebound symptoms, just like you would when you are recovering from the flu and think you are better, then go out and do too much.

It's pretty common to do that in recovery, too, especially when you MUST get back out there to work, etc. If you treat yourself like you are getting over major surgery or a terrible illness, and go back to gradual activity and diet, you will be better off. Drink lots of fluids in recovery, because it helps with detox. Easy to eat foods (not fried or spicy, for example, favoring yogurt, soup, pudding, etc.), lots of rest, don't do too much the first few days. Then, when you are back at work, you can tell people who want you to do too much that you are just getting over the flu.

You'll be fine. I hope this experience will warn you off future opiate use that you can't avoid due to surgery or something.

FT
Old 10-10-2011, 07:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well it is Day 5 now, and I think I may have slept 4 hrs?? I have lied here with my eyes closed, mind racing for the last 4 or 5 hrs. Is this normal? I took melotonin last night, and nyquil, and still only managed 4 or 5 hrs. ROUGH! Is there anything I can do to speed this wretched process up? The Roxy's are EVIL!!!!
Old 10-10-2011, 07:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

3 days ahead of me

Hey there,

Im coming off hydrocodone vs the oxy but I imagine the withdraw is similar. Sorry to hear about your brief relapse, people warn about triggers such as going back to a hometown and such so I can completely see how it happened. Just think of those last few years when you had so much more clarity, that's where I wanna get to but not even close. I popped 4 advil PM's last night and sadly got no sleep at all, I think partly because I just discovered this sight and have been reading it off and on for the last 12 hours. Im only in the 2nd day but have most of the withdraw symptoms I have read about on here.

Anyways your not alone and keep it up!
Old 10-10-2011, 10:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Just did the hardest thing I have ever done. I told those closest to me, and boy do I feel better. I am grateful these men have a REAL relationship with God and have extended the same grace and mercy Jesus does. They are gonna help me battle back to my feet with me, and I literally feel a thousand times better now that I got it in the open with those closest too me.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great to hear - bringing it out into the open with those we care about and finding support makes the trasition that much easier.

Good luck to you - sounds like you are doing great! The fact that you were able to log 4 hours of sleep so soon is a VERY good indicator!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good to Hear

Thanks for the feedback Desperate,

Knowing that those closest to you are being very supportive is comforting to hear. Im still struggling to work up the courage to tell those around me but that helps. Im also going to look into an NA meeting in my area, there's gotta be one or ten nearby I live in a very populated city. Well at least I got a couple hours of sleep once the sun came up, still not to excited about the prospects of the day but it's not like I really HAVE to do anything today. Have a great day!
Old 10-11-2011, 04:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 6. Slept maybe an hour last night??? Is this normal? Feel terrible today. What can I get to help me sleep?

To LostinLaLaLand - It was the best decision I have made. No longer will I not have accountability in this area. I need help and have hid my struggle for too long. I urge you to do whats tough. We will always justify and lie to ourselves. Do it for your future and for those who love you!!
Old 10-11-2011, 06:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Perfectly normal. When we abuse opiates we seem to inhibit our adrenal function and when we stop it seems to take a while for everything to revert to normal - it took me about 1 month to start sleeping halfway well. (Well, between 4-5 hours some nights, 15 minutes others...)

FT said it best: "Recovery is not a linear progression..." I will feel good for a while and then have a bad day or night as my body continues to recover from the toxins I so readily ingested.

The article below helped me to understand a little of what my body is going through.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1821355/

Last edited by Spica; 10-11-2011 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Link issues (again)...
Old 10-11-2011, 09:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oxycodone vs hydrocodone

Man from what I'm reading on here it seems like maybe oxy withdrawl is worse than hydro, im happy I never found a good hook for that because I did prefer oxy over hydro, everyone just to be selling hydro around here.

I totally agree with you that I need to just get this out in the open to those closest to me because despite my no money no job state right now I've always excelled at pretty much everything and it has made me cocky. I can totally see in a few weeks thinking that I could just take a few and be O.K. but we all know that's a super slippery slope that will lead right back to where were at now.

Keep up the fighting, I'm sure ill be on and off here for a good part of the day, just trying to garner the courage to divulge this horrible situation to my parents.

Peace and Love!
Old 10-11-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Cocky is dangerous, been there, my friend!!

Good luck to you!
Old 10-11-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Despite no sleep it has been a great day. Still feel like a 90 year old man(I am 29 and an avid athlete) yet I feel so free now that I got my junk out in the open. Spent some time with people who love me and tell me the truth and not what just is easy to say or what feels/sounds good. Gotta love true friends who point me back to the truth. In the begininng, nothing did not blow up into something. So if GOD is real, I can go to Him for help, but I must not "cover" my sin, but reveal it to actually find mercy and help. Real talk

MESSAGE « CLEAR SIGHT MUSIC is a GREAT link!!!!!
Old 10-11-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Way to go!!! Pretty soon you will be feeling like a 29 year old athlete again...

Old 10-12-2011, 12:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Slept for 4 or 5 hours last night!! Woohoo!! Feel a bit like I have the flu today. LOL. So glad to be off the pills. They will not rule me again!!!

Old 10-12-2011, 12:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great Job~!

It sounds like you are doing great with this and it is very encouraging! Wish I had slept last night but I have got zero sleep, my eyes feel really dry. But I did bite the bullet and get the problem out in the open and have an amazing show of support from my family so that's awesome. It was super hard to do and helped me gain some humility, I think I will work on being more humble going forward as well. But as for you my friend keep it up it really helps to hear how other people are doing because I felt alot better last night than I do right now. But I feel so hopeful and excited about the prospects of the future that I will power through.

Happy Wednesday! It's Wednesday right? Yep just checked Happy Wednesday!
Old 10-12-2011, 01:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey Lost - it is great to hear a positive tone in your voice - way to go!!!!!

Remember there will be the occasional icky day as you go forward but it is all part of the process.