Notices

Adderall?

Old 10-07-2011, 12:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Adderall?

Hey,

I have posted on the alcohol recovery before, but I feel my primary addiction was adderall. Before adderall, I drank normally and acted normally, afterwards, I did not. I feel I lost five years of my life to something I was not. It changed my appearance, my attitude, my spirituality, myself. My family all suffers from alcoholism, so I am not going to blame my issues on one substance (or even two). But for me, it was much too easy to obtain adderall...all I did was tell my doctor I couldnt concentrate.
Over 5 hard and painful years of the best of my youth I discovered that I was cruel to friends, uncaring to family, unresponsive to my god, and generally a big b*tch to basically everyone I knew. AND the worst part (maybe the best?) is that I have a glazed over, foggy remembrance of it all. Included the year my beloved grandfather died. I havent ever told anyone how much I regret starting adderall or how much I think it affected me, but I have been clean from it two months now after flushing many a months script down the toilet (yea i know its not good for the fishes you guys but they have treatment plants). It has been a hard battle, but for those of you on adderall who want to quit, it IS possible. I never thought it was, but then i never could picture myself ON IT FOR LIFE.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you - my drug was oxy but it seems that the end effect is the same - we seem to lose ourselves.

I am glad to hear that you were able to overcome this!!!
Old 10-07-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FT

You deserve a big congratulations on getting off Adderrall. I have heard it is hard to do.

You've recognized now that drugs and alcohol impair not just out ability to think, but our ability to feel. The insidious nature of addiction allows it to creep into our lives by our early self-justification for it, and to recognize that and beat it is empowering.

You're probably just now realizing the benefits of the good thing you just did for yourself. Your story is an inspiration that this can be done.

FT
Old 10-07-2011, 03:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Good for you and welcome! My first DOC was meth back in the 80's... then vicodin, but most recently (clean date is Dec. 28, 10) was adderal. I am so thankful to be free to and really start living! Keep on posting and welcome to SR!!

Lily
Old 10-07-2011, 06:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our Substance Abuse Forum...

Well done on getting away from that drug...
Old 10-07-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm an alcoholic and an Adderall addict.I haven't been clean for very long;thanks for posting.
Adderall(generic name the devil)
Old 10-07-2011, 09:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I must admit that I don't even know what adderall is! But any drug that causes you to lose yourself, fog your memory, take time out of living your life can't possibly do you any good. You said it's used for concentration? Concentration on what? How long til you can refill? Keep you checking the clock to see if been long enough so you can take more? Sounds like you did yourself (and your concentration) a favor by flushing. Don't worry about the fishes - they'll just concentrate on being harder to catch. See you may even have saved some fish lives along with your own!
...Ruby...
Old 10-07-2011, 11:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ruby-
Adderall is an Amphetamine which is relative of Methamphetamine. It's pretty much speed, my teammates and I would take it before a big football game to perform better... and it worked! But it is not a safe drug, especially combined with drinking. It causes you to feel sober for longer and therefore you drink a LOT more.
The saddest thing about Adderall in my opinion is that it is EXTREMELY over-prescribed to the teenagers in the US, mainly by clueless parents sending their kids to the doctor because they think their child is too "hyper". HYPER? That's what being young is all about! It's part of being a teen! Most doctors have absolutely no problem prescribing powerful medications to teens who do not need them at all.
It's horrifying to me how so many people in the US rely on pills to solve every single little problem they have and the amount of ads you see on TV about some new pill.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations for making the decision to take your life back.

My latest drug of choice was adderall, just 5 days clean after 6 months of "binges". I felt like a robot when on it...it is a very nasty drug and it is criminal that children get it so easily.

Hugs and prayers!
Old 10-08-2011, 08:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks you, bark, for filing me in. I was so busy taking Oxycontin for so long, I didn't pay much attention to anything else. It sounds like a very dangerous drug and I can't believe it is prescribed to kids. What a way to get introduced to the world of addiction!
Old 11-20-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting! It has been 8 days - every single one of them a struggle. I can't tell you how good it is to know I am not alone or crazy for not being able to just bounce back. And thank you even more for helping me remember why it is worth getting away from.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am scared that if I dont stop I will lose everything
Old 09-13-2012, 03:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dreamingon, are you ready to quit? This thread is pretty old, you might want to start a new thread to get some more support. We are here for you. Get some support, reach out, and do what you can to quit. My DOC is pills, mainly vicodin and oxy. I have been off of them now for 7 months. It feels like it is impossible, but it is possible. I feel that if I can quit cold turkey, in a foreign country, no real support, husband that is over me, baby that needs me, anyone can. Hang in there.