Notices

Opiate addiction is a lifetime gig !

Old 10-05-2011, 05:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Opiate addiction is a lifetime gig !

With almost three opiate free years under my belt, I don't think of them as often. Although, I still can't look at a pill bottle without thinking of them.My mother in law has huge bottles of 10/325 vicodin my eyes are drawn to them and I wonder... I have had some recent dental work and difficulties. I know I may have to take a pill at some point, but it is now a badge of honor to survive some severe pain with only OTC meds. I have actually been carrying one around with me just in case my tooth blows up. I don't know if I would get addicted again, but when my tooth was hurting I was thinking. I'm going to grab a 24 oz labatt 7.3 and wash this pill down as was my custom back in the day, not exactly the Dr. prescribed way to use them. I read a post from somebody who said they did everything better on Vicodin. I felt that way too. I have some serious back problems, that got me started on them in the first place. I can't be as active as I was on them, and my mood was always great. Just too apathetic to acomplish anything. Also, I gained 30 lbs after I detoxed. that I can't seem to get rid of. I think the one thing that keeps me off is the idea of having to score all the time. Even with a generous scrip from the DR. I was working full time to have hundreds of pills in reserve. 4web sites going, 65 yr old ladies selling me 600 at a time it was nuts. Can you even get them online anymore ?? I was in a position that $ 1200.00 month wasn't killing me. I'm very glad now I'm not spending that money. Not too many problems with PAWS at this time so life is good, but still have to be very careful, because even a big shot CEO like me can be humbled again in a hurry. Good luck to all who are struggling !!
Old 10-05-2011, 08:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
What would Captain America do?

I agree with your above post, but we are not a special/unique breed. It's not the drug's problem, it's ours. We are no different than the obese who can't resist the late night snack. We are all imperfect beings, it's just that some of our imperfections manifest into a very dangerous hobby. I truly believe everyone has something they can counter their addiction with, whether it be faith, family, cooking, or for me, working out and nutrition. In our case, the drugs gave us something we lacked, and it doesn't necessarily mean we had a bad childhood or tramatic experience. For some, the imperfection is that we are never simply content. Obviously, I'm not speaking about everyone, as everyone is different, but I think this rings true for a lot of us. Find your new "drug" a healthy one My wife knows if I quit going to gym, start using tobacco, or staying up late, those are the red flags and she needs to call me out. That hasn't happened yet and I'll be damned if it ever will.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good to see you Vicodaniel - I remember you from when I first started to post in '08. It is a tough road to follow giving up my favorite drug...but when I look back at the money I wasted, the job I lost and the fact that here I am basically starting over - I have to remember no matter what happens I can't go back.

I tried everything I thought I could to control my usage - HAH - no matter what I always ended up whacking our my brain cells and spending every penny I could...

SO OTC stuff it is - I too have some discomfort but at least I am starting to think a little straighter.

Good to see you are hanging in there - be careful with the tooth stuff - tooth pain can quickly become beyond unbearable - I would rather deal with my broken ankle than another root canal.