Notices

Hep c?

Old 10-04-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
July 8, 2011

Hep c?

I just had an ultrasound done on my liver, although she wasnt supposed to, i got the tech. to nod yes or no to my questions (i can be quite prsuasive) No, i dont have a tumor and I'm probably not going to die soon. Yes, I have fatty liver and that can be from a few different things, including hep c or just plain liver damage from all the drugs. so i feel like i can deal with having liver damage/disease, but i dont know how to handle having hep c. I was sharing needles with my x boyfriend and he has since been tested for hep c and came out neg. does this mean that 100% i do not have hep c, or is there still a chance that i do have it? thanks
Old 10-04-2011, 10:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your doctor can be able to tell you if you have Hep C with a blood test. That's the only definitive way I know and I used to be a nurse until I lost that career to my own addiction.

A lot of drugs are really hard on the liver, so it could be that, too.

Sorry I can't answer your question, but hopefully you can get an answer from your dr. soon.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-04-2011, 11:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

if hep c shows as positive, they will do liver biopsy to check what stage of hep c you have

i went through the same thing. after going through 2 cancers, then this....I totally freaked out, but found out there's many more people out ther with hep c and a lot don't even know it

thank goodness there's treatment for that too

best wishes
Old 10-04-2011, 11:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Let us know what you find out and keep posting - we are here for you!!!

Eventually I have to get my blood work done and I am dreading finding our just how badly I have $#@%$# up my system...
Old 10-04-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FT

Originally Posted by SaraMichelle View Post
I just had an ultrasound done on my liver, although she wasnt supposed to, i got the tech. to nod yes or no to my questions (i can be quite prsuasive) No, i dont have a tumor and I'm probably not going to die soon. Yes, I have fatty liver and that can be from a few different things, including hep c or just plain liver damage from all the drugs. so i feel like i can deal with having liver damage/disease, but i dont know how to handle having hep c. I was sharing needles with my x boyfriend and he has since been tested for hep c and came out neg. does this mean that 100% i do not have hep c, or is there still a chance that i do have it? thanks
Hi SaraMichelle,

Why were you getting a liver ultrasound? If you have known fatty liver, that could be from alcohol abuse, but opiates don't usually cause liver damage. Other drugs can, depending on how they are metabolized.

Depending on how long ago you were tested for hep C, you could have since become infected and might test positive now. Or was it the boyfriend that was tested and was negative? It is a very easy blood test to have done. It's a good thing to know, because there are medical therapies for it. I'd get tested right away.

Be aware that, while hep is not usually sexually transmitted, it can be. So be very careful about who you are exposed to and who you expose.

FT
Old 10-04-2011, 06:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
July 8, 2011

Originally Posted by failedtaper View Post
Hi SaraMichelle,

Why were you getting a liver ultrasound? If you have known fatty liver, that could be from alcohol abuse, but opiates don't usually cause liver damage. Other drugs can, depending on how they are metabolized.

Depending on how long ago you were tested for hep C, you could have since become infected and might test positive now. Or was it the boyfriend that was tested and was negative? It is a very easy blood test to have done. It's a good thing to know, because there are medical therapies for it. I'd get tested right away.

Be aware that, while hep is not usually sexually transmitted, it can be. So be very careful about who you are exposed to and who you expose.

FT

well i had some blood work done to see if i had something wrong with my thyroid, and then the liver enzyme thing came up. so the doc said i probably had liver disease, so she sent me to get an ultra sound which was today. i have never been into the opiate scene, i was an IV meth user. I was tested for it about a year about (HEP C) and it was neg. i used after that (im going on 3 months clean) with my X hes since been tested for HEP C and was neg. i havent been with anyone else or shared needles with anyone else

thanks for the advice will get tested tomarrow!! thanks all