Notices

Question about pain after opiates

Old 10-03-2011, 09:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Question about pain after opiates

I took a lot of opiates over the last year and a half. I am now on day 13 cold turkey, and all of a sudden I am getting pain in my ankle (which has gone through 2 surgeries). I am hoping it is because of the opiate withdrawal, and not because my ankle injury has not been resolved. Just wondering if anyone knows about pain after quitting opiates? Thanks
Old 10-03-2011, 10:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, I broke my ankle in three places this May (18th to be exact). Fell off the roof when the ladder slipped out from under me. The break was classified as an open malleolar fracture. My foot was hanging off at a 90 degree angle and bones were visible everywhere. I am now the proud owner of thirteen screws and two plates. (Not to mention the Frankenstein scars on the ankle). The X-ray looks like something out of an X-Men movie.

Fast forward five months and I have to honestly admit that there are some painful days - I opted out of physical therapy since I have no insurance at this time. I started to walk on it when the doc gave me clearance and I can now walk on it fully unassisted for over 2 miles a night with minimal swelling and three aspirin every 6 hours.

Sometimes the pain is more uncomfortable than at other times but I do not want to go back on the oxy train. The aspirin seems to be helping more as time goes by – I understand that those of us walking away from the OX have to give ourselves time to let our natural opiate receptors begin to heal. Not always fun.

I find it ironic that now that I can walk into any pain mill and get my hands on my favorite poison I have chosen to walk away from it – this is the smartest decision I have ever made…as that way only lies madness and more madness…I won’t be melodramatic and say death simply because I should have been dead several times over from the dosages I started to use but I am still kicking (well, barely now…more like limping carefully).

I find that for me - the pain I feel in my ankle now is a useful indicator as to when I need to take it slower. Back on the OX I would move around waaay too much when I should not have and then would end up with an ankle the size of a softball for two days.

I don’t know if this helps but wanted to share my story…
Old 10-03-2011, 11:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spica View Post
Oh yeah, I broke my ankle in three places this May (18th to be exact). Fell off the roof when the ladder slipped out from under me. The break was classified as an open malleolar fracture. My foot was hanging off at a 90 degree angle and bones were visible everywhere. I am now the proud owner of thirteen screws and two plates. (Not to mention the Frankenstein scars on the ankle). The X-ray looks like something out of an X-Men movie.

Fast forward five months and I have to honestly admit that there are some painful days - I opted out of physical therapy since I have no insurance at this time. I started to walk on it when the doc gave me clearance and I can now walk on it fully unassisted for over 2 miles a night with minimal swelling and three aspirin every 6 hours.

Sometimes the pain is more uncomfortable than at other times but I do not want to go back on the oxy train. The aspirin seems to be helping more as time goes by – I understand that those of us walking away from the OX have to give ourselves time to let our natural opiate receptors begin to heal. Not always fun.

I find it ironic that now that I can walk into any pain mill and get my hands on my favorite poison I have chosen to walk away from it – this is the smartest decision I have ever made…as that way only lies madness and more madness…I won’t be melodramatic and say death simply because I should have been dead several times over from the dosages I started to use but I am still kicking (well, barely now…more like limping carefully).

I find that for me - the pain I feel in my ankle now is a useful indicator as to when I need to take it slower. Back on the OX I would move around waaay too much when I should not have and then would end up with an ankle the size of a softball for two days.

I don’t know if this helps but wanted to share my story…
Yes, had the ankle swelling issue. They put in hardware, they took out hardware, then gave me a cortisone shot when I still had pain after they removed the hardware. But was good for 60 days after the cortisone, until now, less than 2 weeks opiate free. I just hope its the opiate withdrawl making the pain seem worse than it is, or worse, that the removal of the hardware didnt solve me problem.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FT

Hi guys,

I just answered this on your other thread.

FT
Old 10-04-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's the thing about going through W/D. When you are on opiods, your brain no longer produces it's own since you're doing the supply. Not only does your brain stop producing it's own painkillers, you also have Hyperalgesia (an increased sensitivity to pain, which may be caused by damage to nociceptors or peripheral nerves). Any little minor pain your body signals to the brain is magnified 10X. Your brain and body has to begin a major repair and it takes time for everything to get back on track.
When I've gone through W/D. my back hurts (literally) like I've been in a car accident. Not only does my back hurt, but I get these pains all over my body! After week two, The pains decrease to a point where I'm able to manage it with Motrin or advil.
So, to answer your question - you're going to have all these weird pains for at least another weeks or two while your brain is slowly starting to produce it's own chemicals.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, I am on day 14. Had trouble sleeping last night, pain in ankle didn't help. Everytime I woke up in pain I felt like crying. Seeing the doctor at 4pm today. If my ankle pain is worse today. If the pain comes back full throttle it will be devestating. I don't know how I would be able to cope with that. If the doctor offers painkillers, I don't know how I will cope with that. I am terrified.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there...my ankle is acting up today, too. I decided to try the power walk thing at 3am and am VERY uncomfortable - aspirin isn't helping - I have a friend who has ibuprofen 800's but refuse to go over there as they also have my drug of choice and damn if that doesn't sound doable when the pain hits.

Good luck with the Dr. I hope they are able to find a suitable alternative that brings you relief but keeps you from the OX.

I, too, used to be big into a healthy lifestyle. 12 mile bike rides every night. My passion was cave diving and dry caving. I had to be in top shape to lug around more gear on my back than I weighed at the time. I alternated weight training and cardio religiously and felt great...now I am bloated and pasty looking and sore and shaking my head going "How the hell did I let myself get this way?"

Everyone here keeps telling me it will get better. I have to believe them. 9/11/11 is my clean date and I have to hang around here - I want my life back...

Good luck to you!!!
Old 10-04-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The pain did get worse early today, I would say up to a 4 or 5 out of ten. I didn’t take any OTC meds before seeing the doctor because I didn’t want to mask any pain. X-Ray looked good, he thinks it’s just a soft tissue issue, but I have heard that more than 30 times, and it ALWAYS got worse. So naturally this morning me and my wife were freaking out. Is it going back to that intense pain? Will the cortisone work again? Because I can’t go back on opiates. I am on day 14, not going back now. Doc asked if I needed “anything”. I said “no”.

I couldn’t believe that I actually said it.

My wife is so proud of me. It was a huge goal to get past a situation like that and I did. And not only was my ankle hurting, but today was a very bad day, and not a fake bad day I get with withdrawal, but real, bad news throughout the day. It would have been nice to escape that a bit with opiates, but I know the bad news isn’t going anywhere, and pills would make me feel even worse the day after using. Then I would have to go through this whole awful experience again! No thanks.

The worst case scenario is that my ankle goes back to hurting like it did before and the cortisone shot doesn’t work at all, or that it gets really painful before I can get my next cortisone shot (Nov). I fear this happening, but I know the odds are stacked against that.

The best odds are that it is just a little soft tissue flare-up, exacerbated by my nervous system reboot.

I did such a great thing today by refusing pills, but for some reason I still feel sad. Of course the minor ankle pain is terrifying, HOWEVER it also resulted with me saying no to pills!

Today is my Birthday in more ways than one! What a great present to give myself! I already ordered flowers to my wife’s job to surprise her tomorrow. This has been hard on her as much as me. I will owe her for the rest of my life.

Thanks again to everyone that helped get me to this point.

I owe you as well.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear you are still in pain but WAY TO GO on hanging tough!!

Hearing about you working through the pain helps me realize I can do it, too!

Hope the wife loves the flowers - sounds like you are a keeper!

Old 10-04-2011, 07:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Actually, Failed Taper gave me the flower idea a while ago.

Speaking of time. I feel like I quit pills and ciggs months ago, even though it has been a couple of weeks. Time is moving much slower for now. It's a strange feeling.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah, ya' gotta love temporal displacement...it's not just for ganja users...I understand it gets better after we log some ZZZ's - I am not quite there yet.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
FT

Hey Drummer,

Is it really your birthday today? Or just your clean date? Either way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Of COURSE you still feel sad. Letting go of opiates is a grief reaction on many levels, almost like a good friend you can't talk to any more. I think a lot of us feel it, but don't realize that's part of our sadness.

Amazing thing you did to day by saying no to more opiates. Your wife has every reason to be proud of you. By the way, the flowers thing NEVER gets old. Believe me, it's a rare woman who is not affected by flowers from her man. Especially out of the blue, on a day there is no other reason for them but to express your love for her.

I had thought it was soft tissue, too. As I said, bone heals much faster than soft tissue does. But soft tissue responds better to cortisone than bone does, so I'd go for it when it's okay to proceed. Carefully used, cortisone can bridge the gap between the slowness of soft tissue healing and full healing and full pain resolution. Then, however, it will swell again with overuse, so be careful. Some people take glucosamine for joints, but it also works for other cartilaginous healing.

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you. Life is always a circuitous journey, in so many ways. Stuff that appears to be bad today, later on can look far different in retrospect. I hope that's the viewpoint you reach at some point. All these struggles are empowering for you as you meet each challenge and triumph. I've always hated the phrase that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, but I suppose it's at least partially true.

Rest well tonight.

FT
Old 10-04-2011, 08:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, it is my real birthday!
Old 10-04-2011, 10:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday!!! Here's to many, many more!!!
Old 10-05-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks every for the Birthday wishes!

Ankle not any worse today, in fact, I would say it is better than what it was last night.

1800Flowers screwed up the flower delivery to my wife. Ugh. At least I got a refund, but I wanted to make her happy.

Well here I am on day 15, $$$ issues really dragging me down. I don't think the depression would be as bad if I was working. Fingers crossed that something happens soon!

Still using the nicotine gum, but that is all, no other bad substances. Still a nervous mess, but digging out of it day by day and hour by hour.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Another take on that saying is, "What doesn't kill you defines you." Not sure what that says about me right now...but what the hell - I am clean today...

Here's hoping your ankle continues to do well, Drummer!!!