Notices

hanging by a thread

Old 09-30-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy hanging by a thread

Hello everyone, I've been on opiates for six months. I had a spinal fusion in late June. I was on 75mcg fentyl patches, as well as 15mg Oxycodone pills 1-2 every six hours.

In four weeks I was able to come off most of it. 75 to 50 to 25 to 12mcg patches was easy for me. Then came the weening of the Oxycodone.
Two weeks ago I have come down in dosage, and about to be pill free on Monday.. I have all the symptoms of withdrawal. I do mean all.
So, right now Im taking 5mg twice a day, tomorrow, Saturday I go to one 5mg a day, as well as Sunday.

I extremely dislike the feeling of opiates...

I guess my inquiry is, about how long after my last pill Sunday night, will I experience withdrawal, I can say Im at the end of my rope, so to speak, and I need to prepare myself for Monday morning.
About how long do the withdrawal symptoms last after the last dosage.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

Most people seem to notice symptoms of withdrawal as soon as they reduce their dose.

You are already in withdrawal, it will just get worse when you stop entirely. But stop entirely you must if you want to be free of this drug.

FT
Old 09-30-2011, 09:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For what it is worth, you may not have a terrible time with the withdrawal phase - if I read right (please bear with me - three weeks with hardly any sleep - my mind is not 100%) you have not been on oxy for years and you have kept your dosages reasonable.

There is a chance it will be a relatively smooth and easy transition for you. Maybe 3 - 5 days of some discomfort - we are all a little different.

The folks on this board have alot of wisdom and support to share so I hope you will share your journey with us as you go through this process.

All the best to you!!
Old 10-01-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you very much! That was very inspiring. that just gave me hope that I can and will beat this. I feel for your insomnia. Sending you strength and possitive thoughts.

I have always disliked the feeling that opiates give me. Im trying to focus on that, and distract myself with everything I can think of. If indeed I am to experience extreme withdrawal for about a week, I can prepare my mind for the haul. Again thank you for the hope. Keep fighting the Good fight.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The worst should be the chills, tummy upset, shaky legs (restless leg syndrome) soreness. Do expect some sleepless evenings. You may not even get all of these.

My detox progression started with uncontrollable yawning and runny eyes the first day then progressed to the shaking, tummy, hot, cold, etc. I was in bed for close to 8 days but my dosage was orders of magnitude beyond yours and I had been abusing for over five years.

The worst does go away - most people compare it to an icky bout with the flu.

Be patient with yourself for the next few days. Take warm baths or showers, wear comfy clothes, take immodium for tummy stuff and before you know it we will be hearing you share that you feel better.

Vitamins and a healty diet also help on the road to being oxy free...

Sending positive thoughts your way!!!
Old 10-02-2011, 01:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, to intense for words. Full swing symptoms again. Im loosening it very quickly. Can I die from withdrawal?? I feel like it could
Old 10-02-2011, 01:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you were just on opiates the answer is no - however, if you have an underlying medical condition such as high blood pressure it is best to see a Dr.

If it is just opiates you will be uncomfortable - I wish I could help you with the pain but remember this is your body ridding itself of all that poison.

Please hang in there - the chills/ hot flashes / tummy distress / restless legs WILL PASS - sooner than you think - each day after day 3-4 should bring you some relief...

I have read posts where some folks were coming off of 1000mgs of OXY and they were feeling better in just 15 days... I was up to ~800mg of OXY and it is day 20 for me and I am starting to make sense again. Your detox will not get anywhere close to this - you simply were not on a high enough dose to have to endure for weeks - just days...

The pain does PASS! Acute withdrawals (the part you are going through right now) is short lived, we just feel really miserable when we are going through it. But it DOES PASS.

Keep posting and let us know how you are doing - how ever many times you need to post - you will get a lot of help here.

If you have any specific questions please feel free to PM me - ANYTIME!!!!

Hang in there!!!
Old 10-02-2011, 01:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

grinding teeth

Pheeew, ok ok. Just need to bare down. Thanks so much, you have kept me sane, I am very grateful for that. Is night time always the hardest time? It seems to be and my wife doesn't understand why I get worse
Old 10-02-2011, 05:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dependantC View Post
Pheeew, ok ok. Just need to bare down. Thanks so much, you have kept me sane, I am very grateful for that. Is night time always the hardest time? It seems to be and my wife doesn't understand why I get worse
Night time and early mornings were by far the worst for me too. I never knew why. I wouldn't be surprised if some of what you are experiencing is anxiety of not knowing how long this will last and how intense this will get. I know it feels like it'll never end, but I guarantee you the bad symptoms will pass, and sooner than you think. Just hang in there. I CT'd a daily habit of oxycodone 400mg on many occasions and I always came out the other side okay.

Good luck
Old 10-02-2011, 08:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes yes anxiety is what's got me. I have Valium but seeing that I already take it regularly it doesn't do much.
Im disabled from anxiety to start with so, im at level 10 with anxiety 24 hrs a day. When I was reading on coping methods, my wife yelled at me for not paying attention him. When what I was reading was to help me and my family get through this. The threats of her taking my boy away are making me suicidal. She still thinks all this is done with tomorrow. Im only hanging on for them, I wish she could feel this for ten seconds and no more. She would stop the negativity. I hate to say im glad she goes to work tomorrow, but I do.
It would be so easy to end it all. Especially if there's nobody here... oh man, what the heck am I saying.

Gotta find more strength, the withdrawal symptoms have me completely blinded. I must hold tight through this week to come. I dealing with such a small dose in comparison to everyone. I feel weak. I don't even know what im saying anymore. These darn shadow hallucinations are so creepy.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
FT

Hi dependantC,

Often after major medical trauma (which you have just been through), there is a period of anxiety and depression that follows. It resembles PTSD to a point, and with time it usually passes. Combined with quitting opiates, you have a double whammy.

I think you should discuss this with your doc and maybe get a referral to someone who knows how to diagnose and treat the anxiety that follows surgery. There are better ways than continuing to suffer in misery. This is really common, and treatable, but only if you tell your medical provider what is going on. It is too easy to put on your "good face" when you see your doctor, because surgically you are improved. But psychologically, you are not, and it should not be ignored.

Coming here is good, too. Hang in there.

FT
Old 10-02-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am calling my phych doc tomorrow morning. He is very supportive. Im not willing to use another form of opiate to help ease the agony. Other than flexerill Valium and the colnidine patch, there's not much they can do, other than more opiates. I think he does want to dose me up with a "done" of some kind. He asks me to take one every visit.

You all have been very helpful, I would like to express my thanks to everyone.

Being mentally unstable to begin with, makes this a lot harder.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Im extremely confused. I was tired but fine all-day. So I fell asleep a d woke up after less than an hour. When I woke I immediatly into full withdrawal. Like WHOA withdrawal. I took a dose lastnight at 3am. And thought with only one dose left, I should stopped tomorrow. Any encouraging thoughts on how to cope?
Old 10-03-2011, 02:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thumbs down hurting pup

Im still fighting. I honestly would welcome death, if I didnt have my wife and son, I wouldn't be posting right now. Im guessing the WD will come back, just as it did last night. Called the doc he's right there for me and wants to put me on another opiate. Have no energy at all. No appitite etc... I am hoping the WD is less than last Eve. Tryn to muster more strength. I'll let everyone know how it goes. Thanks everybody...:rotfxko
Old 10-03-2011, 03:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hang in there. I am sorry you are having a rough go of it.

I had surgery for a hernia repair that was much more extensive than originally planned.

I was prescribed percocet for the pain.

Never again.

I went through horrible psychological withdrawals when I ran out. There were days I thought I was going to come out of my skin.

I hit a lot of meetings, talked to my sponsor, and prayed.

This too shall pass.

Sending you hugs of support!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I extremely dislike the feeling of opiates...
Don't ever forget that! Don't ever go back thinking one pill will help.

Withdrawl is no fun, but you were on a very little compared to other horror stories so you should be fine.

Withdrawl feelings can happen as soon as 4 hours your already going 12. You have already weined and feel bad, it shouldn't get much worse. If you think about taking one pill to help? FORGET IT!!! Please don't ever go back. If you need to be talked/ scared/horrified into going without? There are plenty of threads here to do that!

Good luck and God bless!
Old 10-03-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow, to intense for words. Full swing symptoms again. Im loosening it very quickly. Can I die from withdrawal?? I feel like it could
Your feeling is normal. DO NOT GIVE IN! You are so close!
Old 10-03-2011, 07:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
FT

Im extremely confused. I was tired but fine all-day. So I fell asleep a d woke up after less than an hour. When I woke I immediatly into full withdrawal. Like WHOA withdrawal. I took a dose lastnight at 3am. And thought with only one dose left, I should stopped tomorrow. Any encouraging thoughts on how to cope?
Hi again,

I'm not sure why this happens, but here and there I try to warn people about it. You will feel as though the worst is behind you, only to have a setback for a day or so. It does not mean in any way that you will continue to backslide -- quite the opposite. These are just bumps in the road, and you will continue to improve. For sure, recovery is not linear. Much in the same way that "normal" people don't ALWAYS feel good or have good days, you'll still be subject to bad days, bouts with the real flu, days when you are tired and achy for unknown reasons. Just normal life kind of stuff.

I remember when I quit drinking over 20 years ago, I was surprised to discover that not ALL my bad days were actually attributable to drinking too much the night before. I used to blame everything on drinking, and I had "hair of the dog" on my shopping list more times than I could count. I guess I didn't have nearly as many hangovers as I thought I did.

I think opiate recovery is not unlike that. Hang in there because it really does get better and better.

FT
Old 10-04-2011, 02:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Wow, I made it through the night. Wonderful... my gut is yelling at me for food. I haven't been able to eat, so today the fridge is getting raided! I am of course not 100% but now there is no going back. The restless leg, happened in my arms. That's very strange, and is quite uncomfortable. Im sure some symptoms will return, but I believe im over the hump. I can feel that my kidneys hurt, water should help that. I moved to the sofa to sleep lastnight. My bed is real crappy and I think that may have been a contributer as well. Oh glorious day... I imagine it should be downhill from here. A few more days and I hope im up and running. My poor wife needs help around here.
Our little boy started crying lastnight for Daddy. My wife brought him to me and he layed on me saying "daddy's here" over and over. That was a great kick start. Pheeew This is one evil chemical. No wonder way back in the day they thought people were possessed. Thank everybody so much for the support, it has been invaluable. You all are special to help people through this. You're all going to have good thing happen for you. Ill never go backwards now nor will I take Oxycodone for anything again. I walked around in a level 9 out of 10 pain scale for about a year before submitting to taking it. Thanks again all! Im going to Sss, and eat all the eggs I can cook. Much love and respect to you all! :day6
I think in a few days I'll be IndependentC, if not already.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:05 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, definitely had a backslide. Restless leg and arms are intense this night. I haven't taken any Oxy in three days. Im still off kilter for sure. I hope to be better sooner than later. When winter arrives Ill be taking back raising my 2yr old son, so we will money for heat. I was his main caregiver for the first yr of his life. He misses me as well I him.
Im still not clear headed and have zero energy, but Im pushing through. I hope this gets better soon...