Notices

Bipolar-Off Medications: Feeling Numb

Old 09-29-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Bipolar-Off Medications: Feeling Numb

A few months ago I went off of my medications cold turkey. Now I'm feeling really numb both physically and emotionally. I used to hate being on medication because it would do this to me. My ideology was I'd rather feel pain then nothing at all. Probably not the best thinking... but it was how I felt. Yet, now I'm feeling this way without the aid of medication. I also have trouble with my memory. Is there any way I can pierce through this numbness without taking medications? Has anyone else had this problem? I don't have the money to pay for the doctor's visits and for my medications but that might be only option to feeling better. I hope not. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by sunshineandrain; 09-29-2011 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Added more information
Old 09-29-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR.

I can relate a lot to your post. I recently after much thought and more than 10 years of struggling with different meds, stopped taking my mood stabilizer. My feelings were similar although not quite the same as yours. My mood stabilizer was not keeping the depressions at bay only the hypomanias. So basically I felt like I was existing between periods of dying. I decided that there had to be more to life than that. I did discuss this with my doctor and am doing it while under the care of a psychiatrist. We are trying a different class of medications to try and treat and prevent the depressions but for now leaving the typical mood stabilizers out of the mix.

Unlike what you are experiencing though I am experiencing a more alive feeling. Color is coming back into my world. I actually have caught myself laughing out loud which has not happened in years. It may have to do with the new medication or it may have to do with the mood stabilizer leaving my system.

The only suggestions I guess I have are to try the basics; exercise, eating right, nutritional supplements, etc... I do hope that you are able to find a way though this without medications. I am not willing to give up on them completely yet.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunshineandrain View Post
A few months ago I went off of my medications cold turkey. Now I'm feeling really numb both physically and emotionally. I used to hate being on medication because it would do this to me. My ideology was I'd rather feel pain then nothing at all. Probably not the best thinking... but it was how I felt. Yet, now I'm feeling this way without the aid of medication. I also have trouble with my memory. Is there any way I can pierce through this numbness without taking medications? Has anyone else had this problem? I don't have the money to pay for the doctor's visits and for my medications but that might be only option to feeling better. I hope not. Thanks for your input.
You should search <medication>, discontinuation, and anhedonia.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I recently stopped taking my mood stabilizer..and I am feeling...yes feeling!! ya hoo! I keep track of my moods, and will go back to them should I feel I need to...being on those meds just caused me not to feel anything... although it's never advisable to discontinue meds without your doctors ok.. I think that we know what's best for us....
Old 10-03-2011, 10:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I would never go off of any medications, especially cold turkey, without doctor supervision.

There is a reason that drug labels include a warning against discontinuing abruptly on your own.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you guys for the feedback. I do agree with you all that it was not a wise decision to discontinue my medication without consulting a doctor. Usually I would not do it however I no longer had the money to pay for either doctor's visits or copays for the medications. nandm, thanks for the welcome. I also really appreciated your input and am glad that your new medications are making you feel more alive. Thank you MickeyAnMeisce for the tags to look up. I'm glad you're feeling better also loveon2legs. It's such a nice feeling to be able to feel. Freedom1990, I understand what you're saying.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If needed, you can also phone your county medical health services and get info on free meds and medical care or programs to reduce the costs of your meds should you choose to remain on some or all. Stay safe.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Before I got Medicare and Medicaid, I got my medications free through here:

Prescription Assistance Program |