Notices

14 days straight

Old 09-26-2011, 08:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

14 days straight

Having all kinds of second thoughts, can't focus, can't concentrate, but I know I can't go back. Although there was peace of mind in using, the bad far out wieghed the good. I think the withdrawals are just beginning.
Anybody got any advice?
Thanks
neferkamichael
Old 09-26-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

Hi nefer,

The second thoughts are your "Addict Brain" trying to persuade you. Learning to be able to tell the difference between rational thought and "Addict Brain" thoughts is sometimes difficult early in recovery. Consider ANY thoughts of using to be "Addict Brain" in origin, and you should be okay. Of course you know it isn't a good idea to use, but those thoughts are tantalizing and convincing.

The withdrawals actually began within 24 hours of your quitting two weeks ago, but you will notice they have deep swings now, with the bad days feeling really bad. It will pass. Now begins the psychological battle. You CAN win it. Come here a lot, and listen to the other posters. It is SO worth it, and you will soon feel FREE instead of compelled to use.

FT
Old 09-26-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know it took me a good month before I could concentrate. Three months before I became clearheaded. I'm sure everyone is different. 2 weeks is still early IMO , but if you are concerned...perhaps a check up is in order to put your mind a ease?

I was just discussing this the other night. I love to read...couldn't get through a page while drinking. When I quit, it took me a good month to be able to focus. Seemed to be a common occurrence with many in recovery.

I figured I drank a lot longer than 3 months and just accepted it will take time to regain some functions. Patience is key.

Best Wishes To You!
Old 09-29-2011, 11:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My daughter had the same trouble , I know things will get better for you soon they did for her . Your post has made me realize that the different thing about her is "she's clear headed" This after over 3 years of being high and missing out on most of her 2 year olds life ...
Old 09-29-2011, 07:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((Michael))) - when I quit the crack, it took a while before my mind adjusted. I tried to stay really busy, had a job that didn't involve much thinking, but kept my mind occupied. I read SR a LOT, worked as often as I could, and just kept doing as they say..putting one foot in front of the other. I read a lot from the Friends & Family sections and saw how much our using is so hard on those who love us.

Our addict mind tries, really hard, to get our attention and it takes effort (or at least it did, me) to distract myself. Can't tell you how long it took before I heard the word "dime" (I was a server, and also worked the cash register) before it didn't shake me up a bit. I'd left my XABF, who was still doing crack, and he used to sing the oldies to me...they played it nonstop at my restaurant.

In other words, there were reminders all around me. I just had to remember my relapse, how bad it was, and remind myself that using just was not an option. I had to get past craving the high-drama lifestyle that went with my using..I was restless, irritable, you name it.

It gets better, I promise. I went from using 24/7, walking the streets, hiding from the cops, spending time in jail when they found me, to actually cherishing my quiet time. FWIW, my ex died of pneumonia in a crack house. All he had to do was go to the hospital, but he was more interested in smoking crack.

This stuff kills, just as every other substance we abuse can do. Life is too precious, and though I know it may not FEEL that way, right now, it will.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-29-2011, 10:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Amy, what a powerful and heartfelt post. thank you.