Notices

Struggling with my addiction

Old 09-25-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling with my addiction

[NB][/B][B]Need help,still have not been able to quit,i am destroying my body taking oxycontin and dilauded for the last ten years. I go to meetings every weekend and have asked a few people for help,they give me their phone numbers to call them so I do and they dont call me back or nothing. It seems like nobody wants to help me because I am still in active addiction so what am I to do,cant go to rehab,need to support my family,please any help,thank you.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I don't have experience with you DOC so I can't offer much there, but I have lots of experience with being alone with my addiction. Feeling trapped, hopeless,wondering why someone out there wouldn't or couldn't save me.

Scary stuff.

I wanted someone to save me, lots of days I still do. There is no way out but for me to stop using, and then I have to figure out how to deal with life...without using.

The good news is I only have to do it a minute at a time. If I think of having to do it for the rest of my life, I freak.

everyone's path is different, but knowing people have recovered before me gives me hope.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Don't give up there is hope...one day at a time. As a suggestion maybe find a sponsor to help you in working the steps and support you in your recovery?
Old 09-25-2011, 07:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
I don't have experience with you DOC so I can't offer much there, but I have lots of experience with being alone with my addiction. Feeling trapped, hopeless,wondering why someone out there wouldn't or couldn't save me.

Scary stuff.

I wanted someone to save me, lots of days I still do. There is no way out but for me to stop using, and then I have to figure out how to deal with life...without using.

The good news is I only have to do it a minute at a time. If I think of having to do it for the rest of my life, I freak.

everyone's path is different, but knowing people have recovered before me gives me hope.
Thank you for what you write and I have plenty of hope but I wish it would come to me quicker,that would be great,but I am getting a relationship with my higher power so hopefuuly it will be soon.Thanks again.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dragon....You and I have alot in common other than I have been clean and sober for 8 1/2 months. You really need to quit using so people or sponsers can take you seriously. If you aren't willing to put in the effort why should they? This is the powerlessness of drugs. It sucks when you want that damn drug everyday. Your head won't clear for at least 3 months until you can get rid of it. My DOC was dilaudid. I had a wicked withdrawl but I had to quit.

I go to meetings regularly and I still struggle daily and want instant gratification of feeling better and life being wonderful. Well it takes awhile to clean up our crap and working the steps made me realize just why I want to use all the time and when I sobered up realized just how my depression contributed to wanting live in a fog everyday. Drug induced happiness just doesn't work.

I know how hard it is and hope that you can find someone to help you out cause face to face is the best. I would try going to meetings everyday and occupying your down time. Good luck and keep in touch. I do get your agony and feel for you.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

DH,
Many of us have been in the same spot you have. As a matter of fact, I was taking the EXACT meds you were. I got to the point where I decided that I'd rather deal with the physical pain than deal with the devil. It was a rough time but it was over with in a couple of weeks. You have to decide for yourself and don't let the fear and addiction run your life.
I HATE the pain but I have my life back as many other have too. I no longer count my meds and worry about missing a doc appointment for refills.
If you have have no serious medical condition where you need the meds, then go for it!
in 30 days YOU WILL be the person you want to be rather than the shell of the person you are now.
For many of us, we were helped by a higher power.
The key for you is losing the fear and forging ahead to a new life of clarity and purpose.
There is a plan for all of us but YOU get to decide which plan you take.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IvanKatz View Post
DH,
Many of us have been in the same spot you have. As a matter of fact, I was taking the EXACT meds you were. I got to the point where I decided that I'd rather deal with the physical pain than deal with the devil. It was a rough time but it was over with in a couple of weeks. You have to decide for yourself and don't let the fear and addiction run your life.
I HATE the pain but I have my life back as many other have too. I no longer count my meds and worry about missing a doc appointment for refills.
If you have have no serious medical condition where you need the meds, then go for it!
in 30 days YOU WILL be the person you want to be rather than the shell of the person you are now.
For many of us, we were helped by a higher power.
The key for you is losing the fear and forging ahead to a new life of clarity and purpose.
There is a plan for all of us but YOU get to decide which plan you take.
thanks for the input,but what is the best way to cut down and actually quit because its been ten years already,thanks again.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

See a Dr. maybe there's an outpatient program you could attend or maybe a Dr. can help setup a taper.

Seeking medical advice from a Dr. will ensure you are physically okay when quitting the drugs...

Keep going to meetings. maybe you could ask some people in the meetings if they know of any programs to help you detox. Detox programs are typically much shorter than rehab stays.

For me the fear of changing was overpowered by the pain of not changing and I quit. Withdrawal sucks and is painful but you don't ever have to feel that way again...
Old 10-09-2011, 07:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

29 days crack free

dragonheart you can do it.

I made a commitment on 7-10-2010 to stop everything, alcohol, cocaine marijuana, and cigarettes.

Stopping cigarettes lasted 15 minutes, still smoke cigs
Stopping crack smoking lasted 2 weeks?, but now I am crack free for 29 days

marijauna 2 or 3 times in the last year.

The reason I will be sober for 1 year and 3 months tomorrow is because i go to AA meetings regularly, it works

You have described exactly how I have felt and I am on an emotional roller coaster ride as we speak.

Dont give up I haven't. All the people that create these threads and reply to yours care, and so do I. I'm 29 days free of crack because I found Soberrecovery.com. Keep talking to people, thats what encourages me to keep trying.

DONT GIVE UP, YOU CAN QUIT
Life, Health, Prosperity
neferkamichael
Old 10-09-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the help and I wont give up because my family is more important,even though I live with a lot of pain,i am still going to do it. I had a couple of close calls with death already with having blood clots and im not even 40 yet. I thank my god every day and pray for my family,i just hope I stop really soon and get to live another forty years,clean years,thank you for listening.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sober in AA and still smoking crack. Reading shut like this discourages me and makes me wonder if anyone in AA is really sober or if it really works.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Roxyblues View Post
Sober in AA and still smoking crack. Reading shut like this discourages me and makes me wonder if anyone in AA is really sober or if it really works.
I am asking for help so please dont reply if you dont have something nice to say like what you wrote here,thank you.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah,

I know what ya mean DH (about the negative comments and all). You're already down on yourself. Putting that pill in your mouth and the guilt that follows. But then the relief washes over you. I sure do know how you feel.

So tell me, why can't ya do rehab?
Old 10-23-2011, 03:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dragonheart View Post
I am asking for help so please dont reply if you dont have something nice to say like what you wrote here,thank you.
Sorry man. I empathize with you and fighting the same demons. I need hope that AA and meetings actually work so I get pretty down hearing people are not really clean in meetings. Saw a dude puck up white chip once who had like 10 or 15 years after smoking pot and then like 6 months later celebrate birthday 15 or something. I am like WTF. My sponsor with 20 plus years who is my age is popping percocets and etc.

I know for me I only have a chance if I totally abstain from all chemicals. I have lost years of sobriety through use of ambien and even benedryl set up tr craving for me once. Have had over a year 5 times and once had about 4 or 5 years.

I would just keep calling and leaving heart felt messages. Say you need help and are being honest.

I get the family and job thing, bur book says something like wife, no wife, job no job, we simply will not get sober as ling as we places people, places or things ahead of our sobriety. I would go to detox ASAP and get off everything so you can actually work the steps and get into recovery. Probably just lose that job or family if not willing to do whatever it takes to get clean. Once your willing to do whatever it takes, including losing family and job, you will get off the pills and find relief or a sufficient substitute for the pills in the steps. Takes a total surrender.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Baby Girl D

You need to have the will power to stop its easy sayin than it bein done I'm on my first night of detoxin and I don't know what the night ahead gonna be like but I want to be clean before I lose everythin and my kids. I've read on other sites bout alcohol & drugs they say think of the negatives of them rather than the positives and look at affects that it as on your life x
Old 10-23-2011, 04:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dawnie24 View Post
You need to have the will power to stop its easy sayin than it bein done I'm on my first night of detoxin and I don't know what the night ahead gonna be like but I want to be clean before I lose everythin and my kids. I've read on other sites bout alcohol & drugs they say think of the negatives of them rather than the positives and look at affects that it as on your life x
If your an addict, will power won't make you stop. Addicts have lost the power if choice. It is actually a physical malady as the mid brain over powers the reasoning of the cortex after over stimulation of endorphins caused by chronic opiate use. The mid brain is responsible for breathing, heart rate and etc. which eliminates the necessity for us to remember to take a breathe or make our heart beat. The cortex is reasoning center which says, yeah if I use I won't go to kids game, get in trouble with wife, lose job or whatever the consequence maybe. The mid brain over rides the reasoning ability so we use despite knowing consequences.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm glad to see you got mostly positive feedback. Don't let the negative discourage you from seeking help here. I know I didn't. The ones with negative opinions usually are still dealing with their own stuff. No one should be judged here, we are all seeking to lead drug free lives no matter how we got there. Posting and asking questions is commendable. And there are many here who are sympathetic and truly want to help.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hey ALL! I just wanted to post because it makes me so freakin mad when people say go to a meeting. MEETINGS DON'T GET YOU SOBER!!! I promise I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I tried quitting over and over and over and no matter how bad I wanted to stay sober - I couldn't pull it off. I would detox off opiates - withdrawals for days - then a few days later I would start using again. People would say I didn't want it bad enough! ********! When you are a real dope fein (ME) you cannot manage the decision to stay away from the stuff. I got sober 1/28/11 and I am finally free. I didn't do it by going to a meeting, I did it because I found a group of people that took me through the steps - not 1 a month either - I did them quickly, like the Big Book said to do. I spend my time sponsoring other addicts now (the 12th step). If you're out there and you're sick of doing dope message me. I would love to help you. I don't keep myself sober today, GOD is doing that for me.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Dragon, I was taking Dilaudid for Chronic pain until I realized it was taking over my life. I was able to quit it and I'm out of shape and in my mid 40's. I won't lie to you and tell you it was easy. On the contrary, it was bad... But only for 5 days. It was a little rough for the next week but manageable. Within 2 weeks I no longer had any physical W/D. I had been taking the meds for quite a while too which made the W/D painful- nearly 80mg a day!
Now, I'm going to provide full disclosure here. I went back on oxy 2 months later because of my chronic pain condition *BUT* I went 60 days dang it. I have some serious medical issues that will require major back surgery (as soon as I can afford it). I told my Pain Management Doc everything and he put me on a low dose.
Currently, I'm clean and intend to stay this way until I have my surgery. I told myself I was going to do this on my terms and not the docs. I have pain 24 hours a day but right now, despite the pain I really like where I am. I have control and not my pain medication. Imagine what it would be like to not have your life revolve around your DOC? Have feelings, emotions, have sex, go to the bathroom on a regular basis. Those little things really add up buddy! Right now I'm there and YOU CAN BE THERE TOO!

Now, If you have no medical condition that requires these meds, YOU CAN DO THIS!
Ask yourself if you want to do this on your terms or the terms that the local Sherif dictates? How are you going to support your family from county? Not trying to be an ass about it, just trying to be real about it.
Being former law enforcement, I've seen what happens to families when things get out of hand.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Titanium

Originally Posted by Roxyblues View Post
they are, and the only requirement for AA is the DESIRE to stop. If AA were only for sober people, it wouldn't quite work.