Notices

Dealing with anger after trauma

Old 09-25-2011, 07:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dealing with anger after trauma

There was an arson fire in my apartment complex Saturday morning. I was woken up at 1 a.m. I didn't get to sleep last night until
10:30 p.m.

Fire in apartment complex caused by incendiary device - The Denver Post

I was able to grab a few essentials on my way out, but not my laptop or any other
important technology. I didn't grab all my meds, but managed to get to them by the end of the day. They wouldn't let me have my CPAP machine because of possible aesbestos contamination, but, at the last minute, I managed to get one. They did get my flashdrive with my writings on
it. They are still testing the air for aesbestos and depending on the
results, we may or may not be able to live there any longer. Right now
I'm staying at my parents house. Yesterday was really exhausting and traumatic. I thought I'd feel a lot better today, but now I'm dealing with all this anger and I'm not quite sure how to work through it. Any suggestions?
Old 09-25-2011, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think what I'm most angry/depressed about is the fact that I was supposed to go on a trip to a journalism conference in New Orleans today and that's not going to happen. I just want to find the idiots who did this and hurt them but I won't.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

Hello-
First, I am sorry about your fire.......you are alive.
Second, Anger is a secondary emotion that comes from fear or hurt. You have to be hurt about the fire and fearful of what could have happened to you. Just be grateful for today that you are fine. Yes, you probably want to hurt someone else, but what would it accomplish now. When you have this way of thinking, "Stop and Skid". Tomorrow will be a brighter day, hopefully and you have you.......that is good enough.........as you are safe.

Blessings,
Kahlia
Old 09-25-2011, 11:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

((((Clay)))) - when I was robbed at work (for the 2nd time), had a gun held to the base of my head, pistol-whipped, I was very angry. I'd begged my bosses to let us lock the doors at night (3rd shift in a restaurant) as our other store had been robbed, again, and we all felt it was just a matter of time. They refused.

I held that anger for a long time, had been made promises of 2nd shift hours (they shut down 3rd shift AFTER 3 of us were hurt), still have a little PTSD about that, but have worked through a lot of it with some great help of people here and f2f.

The guys who did it WERE who we thought. The 14-year-old kid who smacked me, went on with his gang, to kill 4 people the next day. I left the job behind, and the robbers will never see the light of day outside of prison.

I think anger is a natural response when we've been violated, but if we don't work through it, it can eat us alive. It took me quite a while to work through it.

Big hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 09-26-2011, 08:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh that is a trauma and I hope you get to move back in. It's a good thing your parents live nearby and you can camp with them.

When something that upsetting happens I keep the focus in today, remind myself to do one thing at a time and TALK about my feelings to another alcoholic.