Notices

Addiction dreams

Old 09-16-2011, 07:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Addiction dreams

I know we've all had them.

I'm currently tapering off of methadone after being on a maintenance program for 2.5 years. The lower my dose gets, the more I feel it - both emotionally and physically.

Last night, I had my first heroin dream in years. Now it's all I can think about, and it's driving me crazy. I want to free of this physical dependancy, but I'm so scared my brain is going to sabotage me through my dreams. I used to have them all the time, and they got the better of me more than a few times (meaning that I would break down and use after having such a dream).

I've cut myself off from the people I knew when I was using heroin, and I'm in counselling and I have people who support me. I have goals, and I'm working toward making a better life for myself. Logically, I have all these things in place, but one dream can come along and affect me on such a visceral level.

How do you cope with addiction dreams?
Old 09-16-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You just have to realize that its just your mind playing tricks on you through your dreams. If I acted on every dream I ever had I would be fishing in the Bearing sea with one leg and guy that chases me with a knife and he is JUST out of reach for my punches!!

The dreams should slowing diminish over time but you just need to stay strong and dont listen to your subconcious "addict" brain. (Thanks FT for that saying! LOL).

Hang in there, keep us updated!!
Old 09-16-2011, 08:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Garden Variety Addict

I always thought using dreams were healthy. They remind us of our past. And our weakness. When you wake up in the morning and realize you didn't really use, it's like a gift.

I haven't had one in a while but I recall the last few using dreams were all about having stuff and not getting off. Try as I might, I would smoke and smoke but couldn't feel the high. Then I'd wake up and have coffee...and feel the high!
Old 09-27-2011, 08:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
July 8, 2011

i guess its just like melissa says, wake up and be grateful you're clrean. My using dreams used to make me go out and use, the last few months i wake up in a panic that i relasped....then i realize it was jsut a dream and am so grateful
Old 09-27-2011, 08:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FT

I quit drinking over 20 years ago, and once in awhile I find myself drinking wine in my dreams. Usually I just notice I'm drinking and find myself surprised, not upset about it. When I wake up, I'm always relieved to realize it was just a dream. ETOH was a huge monkey on my back for almost 20 years before I quit that.

Oxys are another story. I was "only" addicted for 2 years, but the addiction was far more rapid onset, and far worse to detox from (my experience only). Both, though, carry far greater psychological addiction than physical, though detox from either can be horrible.

So far, I have had more oxy withdrawal dreams where I feel sick and realize I am in withdrawal. So far, I've felt fine when awakening. Those are weird dreams.

FT
Old 10-15-2011, 03:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ya would think we would not think about the crap in our sleep huh? But I too, on occasion dream of buying my line, cutting it, putting it on the mirror, and using my straw and doing what I have done for years. I wake up sad. Sad that when my conscious mind tries so hard everyday to BEAT THIS, my unconsious mind has its free will at night making me think about it when I don't want to