Notices

mental health triggers

Old 09-14-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

mental health triggers

does anyone else find particular people seem to trigger onset of deterioration in mental health

in my case i seem to get suckered in my my mum and dad and then when i get the inevitable emotional mauling by my dad my mental health takes a nosedive
Old 09-14-2011, 10:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh yes, definitely. After some time I realized I have to part ways with anyone who triggers a depression relapse...my mental health depends on it. I used to think they'd change or I could change them, or that this time it will be different. It's not true. It's a sign of health to restrict your life to people who enhance it, not those who tear it down.

Perhaps you can decide to limit your time with your mother to an occasional hour....
Old 09-15-2011, 04:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thoughts of a guilt-ridden past & a vast to-do list of the future. Those things manifest into depression & anxiety. Be present in your body. Recognize that a thought is simply just a thought. And your inner state will be in more contentment.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

oh absolutely!! I have a sister in law and a mother in law.. who are extremely toxic to be around so I just avoid them at ALL costs....when I am in there energy...it takes me a week to recover!! just plain AWFUL!! throws me right off......
Old 09-17-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Yep, me too. I can only take my mom in small doses, to this day. She is not violent or aggressive, but she is totally checked out and in her own little world. It is kind of like having a department store mannequin for a mom.

But I will say that with time and LOTS of therapy, I can handle her a whole lot better than I used to. I feel compassion where I used to feel anger and hatred. I still don't spend a great deal of time with her, but when I need to it doesn't send me into a tailspin as it once did.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by onlythetruth View Post
Yep, me too. I can only take my mom in small doses, to this day. She is not violent or aggressive, but she is totally checked out and in her own little world.
Your mom sounds a lot like mine.

I have a better relationship with her today thanks to my program of recovery.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I definitely have some toxic people in my life...I try to stay away from friends that are constantly on a downer because it just depresses the hell out of me and I just feel worse...you know those people, they have that thundercloud hanging over them and you just want to stay as far away as possible.
I thank God that I have amazing parents that I am super close with and can tell anything to...
My problem is work though and colleagues...
The people at work - especially my a**hole manager - give me such stress and anxiety that I just all flustered and "depressed".
I am beginning to think that I may need to quit my job in order to keep sane.