Notices

Not sure I can do it..

Old 09-11-2011, 11:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure I can do it..

Hello everyone,

I used to have a problem with cocain years ago and because of it I found out I have a heart condtion. I was able to stop cold turkey even though the withdraw was terrible. I was put on meds to help control my heart and for awhile everything was going really well. About a year ago I was in an accident and was prescribed percocets because they were able to do help my pain and on their own they did everything all my heart meds did. Less than a week after my script was up I started getting them from another source and now I'm realizing that I can't keep doing this anymore. I end up spending all of my money to make sure I have them, I can't sleep without them, and when I try to take some time off from them I become so overwhelmed. I finally talked to my doctor and told him everything and he told me that there is no way my heart will be able to handle withdraw if I stop cold turkey and reccomended a tappering schedule. It's all just so much and I feel like I'm going to have a much harder time if I have to taper. I feel so discouraged and I haven't even started yet. I thought maybe joining would help me stay focused and help me out and keep me positive.

-omaha
Old 09-11-2011, 11:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Omaha

I don;t know much about percs, but common sensically it sounds to me like the responsible thing is to follow your Dr's advice...

after all, there's no harder time than having heart problems, or worse.

You'll find a lot of support here though, no matter what you decide
D
Old 09-12-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Omaha,

I am sure its going to be rough but with the help of your doctor I am sure you can do it!! good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FT

Hi Omaha,

Coming here is a great idea. You will find lots of opinions on whether to taper or whether to go cold turkey. Personally, I tried to taper and failed at doing that, and so I ended up going cold turkey last December.

You are doing the right thing getting your doctor involved in your stopping pain drugs. Make sure your health is strong enough before doing a drastic withdrawal, and so take your doctor's advice about that.

Once you have the go ahead, do this in whatever way works for you. Read a lot of the threads and you'll get a lot of good information about what to expect. When I came here, I headed right for the "I'm going cold turkey..." thread. It has since morphed to "Kicking the Ox....", but I hijacked it long ago and there has been a lot of coming and going of people on the thread.

Most of all, though, is to post your questions here and get real life experience answers. We can't give medical advice, but we sure can tell you how this went, and how it is going, for us.

Good luck. Getting clean is SO worth it. Hard, but very worth it.

FT
Old 09-15-2011, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Is there a way to wean off of percocet

Hello< I really need help! I have no one to talk to. I am on day three of withdraw. Tuesday I took nothing, yesterday I took two 5mg, and today so far nothing and I am in so much pain and anxiety. Is there a better way to do this? Or a way to wean off to avoid withdraw? I am a single mom and have no clue how I am even going to be able to get my son from school today because I am so sick! PLEASSEE HELP!
Old 09-15-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FT

Hello Help,

Wow. What better reason to get clean than to be a drug free mom. I'm so proud of you!

Hey, even when people try to taper off, the jump off point where you take NO more pills is going to involve feeling REALLY sick for about a week. There's no way around the fact that your body is detoxing from the drug. It's almost like just having had a major illness. Your body is doing damage control, and when it does that you will have stomach cramps, bowel issues, aching and jitteriness all over, and usually lack of sleep. Another HUGE part is the lethargy. Extreme lethargy is common to most of us, and lasts a few days, and gradually gets better over a few weeks.

Can someone else go get your son? If not, take a shower or hot bath, drinks LOTS of fluids and soups, and eat something light like yogurt. Then go about your business as though you have a bad flu that you need to recover from. Maybe keep him home from school tomorrow and use the weekend to do the first major recovery. This is SO IMPORTANT.

Hang in there. You NEED to do this for your future as a mom to your precious child.

FT
Old 09-15-2011, 10:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As always, I agree with FT.

You need to take some time for yourself and just get through the detox/WD symptoms and you will gradually feel better. I am on day 10 and never thought I would make it through day 3, it was rough. My 3 year old is my reason for living and she is the reason I was able to make it through the worst of it.

I know you dont want to hear this, but FT is totally right, youre going to be feeling like crap for at least 5 days, in my situation, then you will start feelling a little better each day instead of worse.

Hang in there, you can do it!!!!
Old 09-15-2011, 11:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your responses! I cant tell you how much I appreciate it. I am so anqxious and achy that I cant stand it. The baths help, but not for long. I am taking vitamins, b12, b6, and D, and a multi vitamin. I am trying to drink as much as possible but still not sure ituiess enough. I have one more question. Monday I took four ten mg percocet, Tuesday I took nothing, Wed I took two 5mg percocet, and today so far nothing. DO you think the two fives interupted my withdraw time or can I say I am still on day three?
Old 09-15-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

PS..I am soooo sick, so weak, my body aches unbelievable and all I can do is cry!
Old 09-15-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
FT

Help,

Hang in there. Your "taper" was somewhat like mine. I did 24, 12, 6, 3, and then zero, over the course of 4 days. I don't think it matters what day you count from. Your withdrawals started on the first day you started to taper off. That's why prolonged tapering is such torture. The mini withdrawals over and over are horrid.

You are getting there. Expect to feel sick. WELCOME IT, as crazy as that sounds, because it means you are SUCCEEDING at detoxing! Your body is just reacting to the lack of drug. And that is GOOD! You'll feel so much better soon, and it is SO worth going through this now.

Keep going. You can do this.

FT
Old 09-15-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I hope so. I am so depressed and hurt so bad. Nothing helps the pain
Old 09-15-2011, 01:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Help1981 View Post
I hope so. I am so depressed and hurt so bad. Nothing helps the pain
and nothing is supposed to help the pain, thats all part of the detox experience. The good thing about it, if you look at it the way I do is this. The sickness and WD was like stepping through the gates of Hell for 5 days, but guess what, THATS my motivation to not use anymore. I sure as H$LL dont want to go through that again!!!

Stay positive, stay focused, it DOES get better, you should feel a little better over the next day or so, IMO.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I took benadryl and valume and slept all night, but I still feel so sick and my body aches soooooooo bad. Does anyone know what I can do. Do you think a vicodan would hurt my detox process? Today is the start of day four for me
Old 09-16-2011, 04:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If I take a 5or 10 mg percocet Today to ease the pain a little do you think it will ruin my detox period?
Old 09-16-2011, 04:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

If I take a 5or 10 mg percocet Today to ease the pain a little do you think it will ruin my detox period?
I couldn't do it or I'd be back at it full tilt. I had to go cold turkey and fight through it. The first few days I'd jump in very hot bath or shower when I felt as you do.

I also got rid of everything in the house so it wasn't an option.

Good luck, you can do it!
Old 09-16-2011, 05:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know I can take just a five or ten mg. Do you think if I take it will re start the withdraw Process?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I know I can take just a five or ten mg. Do you think if I take it will re start the withdraw Process?
Let me put it to you like this..............

YES, IT WILL START THE EVIL OVER AGAIN!!!

If you "just take 5 or 10mg" thats going to lead to you feeling good, and thats going to lead to you using more.....

Its the vicious cycle of addiction and you are in the worst of the detox now, just hang in there for one more day, it should start to get better day by day now.

If you HAVE to take something for the aches, take aspirin or something, dont take more opiates....................
Old 09-16-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have taken taken motrin, anvil, Tylenol. All of it. Nothing works and I'm at my wits end.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have taken taken motrin, anvil, Tylenol. All of it. Nothing works and I'm at my wits end.
Nothing is working because your mind is helping work against you right now. You are going to have to just suck it up and make it through the day and get some rest tonight.
We will support you no matter what you do, but I would suggest not taking anymore pills................
Old 09-16-2011, 07:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by failedtaper View Post
Help,

Hang in there. Your "taper" was somewhat like mine. I did 24, 12, 6, 3, and then zero, over the course of 4 days. I don't think it matters what day you count from. Your withdrawals started on the first day you started to taper off. That's why prolonged tapering is such torture. The mini withdrawals over and over are horrid.

You are getting there. Expect to feel sick. WELCOME IT, as crazy as that sounds, because it means you are SUCCEEDING at detoxing! Your body is just reacting to the lack of drug. And that is GOOD! You'll feel so much better soon, and it is SO worth going through this now.
Keep going. You can do this.

FT

I really needed to hear that right now. Thanks.