Notices

Struggling

Old 08-30-2011, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling

I've been struggling with a lot of things recently - finally attempting to get sober again after several weeks out...but mostly it's the mental stuff that's getting me right now. I can tell I'm starting to slip quickly down the depression slope - I've started staying in bed for no reason; I slept the entire day yesterday when I should have been at work (I didn't even want to get up to get high!). The world just seems scary and overwhelming right now and I don't really know what to do or how to get out of it. I have an appointment with my psychiatrist next week but what I'd really like to do is call my therapist. However, she doesn't work M-W and I see her on Thurs anyway...this is all just rambling, I know, but I'm really kind of scared right now. I'm trying to get out of bed today and I just can't - I have to, because I have class...but it's almost 10am and I haven't moved yet.

I hate these days. I can't be the only one - how do y'all cope with them?
Old 08-30-2011, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I shave it down to a minute at a time. I can do for one minute what would overwhelm me for the day.

I'm sorry you are struggling! I know what that is like, and depression can be so debilitating.

Sometimes I just have to remind myself, one foot in front of the other, baby steps. Deep breaths in between steps can help too.

Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing as we care, okay?
Old 08-30-2011, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Freedom is right....sometimes it is just baby steps, putting one foot in front of the other. I hate those days when it is exhausting just to breathe. Sometimes it seems they will never end but eventually they do. Take care and keep moving forward
Old 09-01-2011, 10:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I started doing as y'all suggested and taking things one minute at a time - it got a little easier and I'm feeling much more functional now. I didn't have any issues getting out of bed either today or yesterday and sobriety is...not easy, but possible. I also wasn't taking my medication properly and have started doing so - that helps too Thanks!
Old 09-03-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you are doing better! Thanks for checking back in, and hope you continue to post! Sending hugs of support!