Notices

Once you decide to begin again...where do you go?

Old 08-04-2011, 07:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Once you decide to begin again...where do you go?

What does a person do before they fall into the abyss of homelessness? I have been told I am disabled (Major Depressive/Anxiety...alcoholic)...although, I dont know any different...so, I cant judge. Do I go to the State for help? Do I reapply for SS Disability? I have no income.. I am in a situation of non-existence. I feel used because others have received the help they want/need using my SSN. I really dont know what else to say. I love these people but, I want to live and move forward! I need to change not only myself but my surroundings. I just need a place to reach my hand out for help.

I have looked online (I have agoraphobia...comes and goes) for any assistance offered to help me get out to work or what ever I am capable of doing! If I can work... I WANT TO WORK! If I cant....at least I gave it a try. I was in the emergency room on the 11th for severe pain...I learned I need a hysterectomy...well, I dont see that happening anytime in the near or distant future.

Can someone tell me of some experiences they have had and what they did to get out of their situation. Where do I go....Health and Welfare?

Thanks Everybody!
Old 08-04-2011, 08:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Do you have a case worker/social worker? Maybe ask a state agency for help--if they don't (or won't) help, any charitable organizations where you live that can steer you in the right direction?

I don't know if this helps, but I got charity care at my local private hospital for several months--health care was free during this time--I had a job, but I still made-not-enough to qualify.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Most attorneys will file and take care of a disability claim on a contingency basis. In other words they do it for free unless you win then there is a cap on how much they can charge. In most states it is around $5000 dollars. But an attorney could tell you for sure. I would recommend starting there.

As far as housing goes there are some options I can think of right off hand. Have you gone to your community mental health center? I would suggest starting there and finding out what resources are available in your area for those fighting with mental health problems. Your local YMCA/YWCA are also good resource centers for free counseling and services. If you are in recovery you might look into Oxford Housing. I am sure there are more options that I can not think of right now.

One thing to keep in mind is not to give up trying.