Notices

Feeling Cold

Old 07-31-2011, 10:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Feeling Cold

So to those who dont know my backstory- short version= I quit alcohol and weed a while ago- I relapsed on alcohol on July 23rd. July 23rd was also my last day of taking xanax after 2 years of abuse. Ive been going through the terrible benzo withdrawal and yes it is as bad as they say if not worse...

I find myself becoming cold towards other people. My level of sympathy towards others is running short. I have had a few deaths in the family recently and I am not reacting to them in the way one would expect.

My emotions are out of control and I just want to get everything under control again... I feel horrible for being so cold towards everyone but I can't.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm sure you have, but can someone help me? I feel like a terrible person for it but I don't know how to fix this.... I'm just kinda lost and will take any words of adivce someone is willing to offer...
Old 08-01-2011, 12:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh how i know...Benzo's are of the devil! I never became addicted to them or used them long term (maybe week straight etc, mostly when i was out of my DOC) But the days following using was horrible for me. They mess up my emotions so bad, and made me a raving b*tch, i hated everyone and everything they did was wrong (i should go apologize to my hubby now, lol)
I guess i have no advice for you, just letting you know i have been there. The emotions are not really you, just your brain without the drug. Hang in there, the cloud lifts and you do feel better
Old 08-01-2011, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I ditto the above post... Jenna, just hang in there and get that stuff outta your system. It will pass. I was cold, bitchy, hateful, angry at the world... it's not you.

You're doing this for you, so try not to let it bother you how you're coming across to other people right now. Especially strangers. You could tell friends/family what's going on if it would make you feel less guilty.

I think the biggest problem for me was dealing co-workers! Arrgghh... what an awful time, I do remember that. Just try to hang in there and don't be too hard yourself right now.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Insane Asylum Director

But you STILL feel towards other people. You're in touch with yourself, not disconnected.

That is a plus. Deaths in the family are hard on everybody, I'm sorry for whoever may have passed. Try and find comfort in the fact that you are doing the right thing for yourself. No one wants to be the way you have described. It will fade away.

You're doing the best you can with very little. You should be proud of that even if you don't see it now.