Notices

Done with smoking

Old 07-26-2011, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Done with smoking

Well I have decided to quit smoking weed for one year. My life has become unmanageable. Not to the extreme as everyone else takes this phase to mean. But I want to go out and smoke rather than spend time with my child. I go out 3 or 4 times a week and I go play cards or chess or pool but the main goal is to smoke. As for right now me going out and playing cards or whatever is not the problem. it's that I go out so I could do drugs. Plus I know if an emergency came up I would not be able to provide proper help. I have been ignoring those items and ignoring the guilts and just doing what I wanted to do. I also feel guilty for going out so much. But that is another issue that I can handle a bit later. As soon as I stop smoking then I bet I stop going out so much.

I am not the type of person that can smoke once in a while. If I am going to smoke then that's what I am going to do every chance I get. I like my mind being in an altered state. I know when I smoke I like to think it puts me in the zone. But I know it doesn't help. But on the flip side I am pretty sure it doesn't hurt. In other words I am just as bad at playing spades, poker, pool or chess with our without smoking. I have been in the zone both when I smoke and when I do not smoke. I know I can't play ping pong well when I smoke lol

If push comes to shove I am sure it hurts a little more.The above statements assumes that I have no child and the only life I affect is my own. But because I have a young child and I leave to do drugs it does hurt mine and our relationship. I know what I am doing is morally wrong and I am a very morally and realities person. I know that me quitting for ever may never happen. I will quit for 1 year and go from there. I have no doubts that I can quit for a year. If I said I would never smoke again that would be unreasonable and it would not work and I would be setting myself up for failure.
Old 07-26-2011, 12:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Or you could quit for today and quit each day and quit each day.. They add up these days. Do you really want a timeline as opposed to taking it a day at a time and see how it goes. After a year you'll still have a wife, a child--what will change if you start back. Just my thinking. Basically though, I best to you.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's already getting hard not to smoke. I have 2 execuses to smoke. But that's exactly what they are is excuses. My eating habits have gone down the drain. I still believe that I can make it my year.

Please tell me your tough times when you quit smoking.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey CC

Good on ya so far for holding out how many days has it been so far?

I know how you are feeling right now as I to was feeling this way a little more than a year ago when I decided enough was enough to quit both the booze and weed for good.

The first week was tough for sure and the not smoking was harder to give up than the booze.

Here is what I focused on during my first month to get through the worst of the physical and mental aspects of giving up smoking.

- The first week take it real easy on yourself Drink lots of water and if possible wear very lose comfortable clothing because your going to have lots of sweats. Also get yourself on some multivitamins if you are not already.

- If you do drink, even moderately you might have to give this up as it most likely will be a HUGE trigger to smoke.

- Try to stay away from to much junk food and start planning yourself a nice healthy diet "but don't do away with all junk food" as you should also be able to reward yourself for not smoking.

- Keep extra cloths near your bed at night as you will probably find for the first week that you wake up soaked to the bone in sweat so its nice to be able to just quickly strip and change into nice dry cloths without searching for them in the middle of the night.

- Exercise "outdoors" every day for at least an hour if you can. This will help your overall mood and get you into a positive new direction in life.

- Try to keep busy when the cravings come around. This could be cleaning your house from top to bottom or going outside for a bike ride or walk.

- Take up that hobby / interest that you have always been putting on the back burner. For me it was guitar and now I am addicted

After a week you will start feeling really good. And after 30 - 60 days you will wonder why you ever started smoking in the first place.

It took me about 9 months total to no longer have any cravings for weed and now I don't even give it a second thought. What ever happens do not listen to that little voice in your head trying to make a deal with you to have a smoke. You said it yourself that your life has become unmanageable, so keep this at the forefront of your mind when the cravings strike.

I have 4 kids myself and now instead of obsessing on when / where / how I will smoke, instead obsess about what new activities we will be planing on the evenings and weekends.

A life free from this awaits you. And it is SO worth the fight

Hope this helps
Old 07-28-2011, 06:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
FT

As far as I'm concerned, there is no better reason to quit drugs and alcohol than for the sake of your children.

Now, before everyone starts yelling that you have to quit for yourself and nothing else will work, I can't say I disagree with that.

You may lose your ability to be with your child by virtue of your pot use. Any family court that catches wind of your use will take your parental rights away faster than you can imagine.

Even if that doesn't happen, you are modeling behaviors to your child right now that you have no idea about. Kids learn behaviors from us that we don't even realize we are displaying. If you don't think you child can tell the difference between you high on weed and you not high on weed, you are sadly mistaken. Weed stays in your system for a LONG time because THC is stored in the fat cells, so it affects your behavior even if you haven't been smoking for weeks.

Look, I think weed should be legal. But I also know that some people can't use it "responsibly". Your self description identifies you as one of those people.

I don't mean to be harsh, and I do wish you luck.

FT
Old 07-28-2011, 08:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi CoffeeClub...i am 2 weeks off weed myself. Everyday is a little better. I still have moments of cravings..i say moments because they do pass, but you have to wait them out. Once you have waited them out you realize they are over quick. The first week i pretty much watched tv and played on the internet on the couch. I let myself wallow in it and miss my friend. Believe me pot was my best friend. I woke up thinking about it everyday, immediately thinking how much i had for the day. If i knew i didnt have enough to get me thru the day i was already depressed before i was even out! But it does get better..everyday gets better. I cant wait till i have months/years behind me. I'm already so pi$$ed at myself looking back at all the hours/days/weeks/months and years i waisted high. We are all doing this together. Welcome and you can do this =)
Old 07-29-2011, 02:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for everyone's response. I am doing better in one way and worse in other ways.

It's hard because I am fighting myself because I want to smoke. It's really odd because I have no doubt that I will win this battle. But that does not mean it's going to be easy. If I let my gaurd down even for one afternoon I will lose.

On the bright side. I have told my friend why I am quitting. He understands. See I will not stop hanging around with him. I play cards,chess talk about politics and sports and I am not going to stop hanging out with him. But we are on the same page and he supports me. I know for a fact that I can be around it and not give in.

bcboy, you had some great idea. I like the fact that you think it's wise not to turn to food. It's funny because I have been giving myself more freedom with the junk food and I already felt that it was hurting me and you confirmed that belief.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So is anyone else struggling.

This weekend was pretty good. Saturday I did have urge's. But I fought them off. Sunday I played cards and I was with my friend's. They did smoke but it was pretty easy for me to decline to smoke. This is day 5.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi CoffeeClub...So glad you declined! I cant say i can be around it and decline. It still has alot of power over me at this point. This week (going into week 3) seems better, i think of it less and less. I am relearning to live life not being high. I am learning to reward and comfort myself with other things that are not bad for me..well except sweets, lol. Sounds like we both had a great wknd, YEA US
Old 08-02-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
lost n exhausted

Hi coffeeclub. Congrats to you for deciding on quitting. I quit smoking three years ago after smoking weed casually for a little over twenty years. I really have to agree with bcboy. Getting involved in physical activity was a big key for me. It's distracting to the mind and the endorphins were a much better buzz in my opinion. It really was that natural high people talk about. I felt better physically and also mentally as a result, but had to give it some time to work up to the 20 minutes or so of intense cardio to see that rush kick in. I remember actually feeling shaky from the brain chemical rush. If you really work out, your hands and lungs are busy. It also helps the lung tissue expel all kinds of nasties and can breathe easier. I stuck to a pretty strict diet during that time as I was also trying to lose weight, but every Friday night allowed myself the "pig out". Looking forward to that one meal of my choice (all u can eat fish fry lol) really kept me on track with everything else. Keep it up!
Old 08-03-2011, 05:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Does anyone out there remember the first really good time they had after quitting smoking?

This is day 7

A couple of things happened to me that made me want to smoke. I had reason to give in but I didn't. I did not give in to drinking either. I do not think I was at risk for smoking. But drinking was another story. Less assume the things that happened were stressful and a big deal. Well I tried to turn it in to a even bigger deal so I would have had a reason to drink. It did not work out and I'm glad.

I went out last night and had a real nice time. I played cards and chess and just talked. I have not had that much fun in a while. The chess game was cool because me and my buddy talked so much smack to each other and I have not joked like that for a very long time and it felt really nice.

I'm glad I didn't smoke or drink.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well done coffeeclub!
Your doing awesome!!!! All i'll say to you is you have to keep going. Trust me every day gets better and every day you go to bed feeling more proud with yourself.

Today, I'm 7 weeks off smoking. I couldn't be more proud of myself, and things in my life are starting to turn around. I have friends who smoke, in fact, almost all my good friends smoke. I hang out with them, but I don't smoke and don't want to either. Each and every one of them I know is jealous of where I'm at and that in itself makes me happy. Not because I feel like I'm better than them, but because I know that I am somewhat of a light for them and they can see that it is possible.

Socially, I'm still trying to get back to where I used to be. I think I did alot of damage to my concentration and memory in the time I smoked (4 years).

It's strange, I never thought that I would notice how much happier I am without it.

Again, well done coffeeclub, keep it up man.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Has any one ever tried to make something happen so they would have an excuse to drink or smoke?

I have made it 9 days. Had lots of stress but I pretty much road it out and life is less stressful. I almost started to drink. If one more thing would have happened I would have drank.

The bad part is that I wanted one more thing to happen and hell I even tried to make it happen. But I never was able to make it happen