Like a rebelious teenager

Old 07-24-2011, 11:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Like a rebelious teenager

Vent and rant alert!

Is it normal for senior citizens to act rebelious or do things in spite a form a regression. Alcoholic senior father refuses to take advice from darn near anyone. He's even ranted on I occassion I want control or make some decisions. REFUSES to learn anything really. It's not like he hasn't been around to make decisions in the past, maybe he can't remember them.

He flatout refuses advice and recommendations for his own benefit. Especially for his health, his house, car, finances etc. He is a complete and utter failure as a consumer. Minus well stamp 'professional victim' on his forhead. He has gotten ripped off so much and he will not acknowledge it and will spend hours rationalizing his decision, I mean with no break in the conversation he will spend HOURS RATIONALIZING and gets mad when he feels he doesn't get full attention or says no more questions. Instead of a debate he'll turn the situation into a rationalizing SESSION.

He currently wants to call a contractor back where the work needed re-doing after a few years or was never done right. An unlicensed handyman. He defends him by saying he too much to do on his own. Something about this contractor. First my dad hired him because he had a hard luck STORY. Then the guy left a small pile of misc stuff(nothing expensive) so over year later we ask when will you call him back for his stuff. 2-3 years later no call,same pile. He also refused to give blanket permission to use,sell or toss. I had to start going through because of a rusted/leaking can and other moldy, dirt,rust, cobbweb filled stuff. I started using somethings and he hasn't said a word(although the pile is still there).

He's very... funny about what he will take advice on or let you do for him. Although he likes to insult you by saying his situation needs a professional only. The simplier jobs he won't let you touch and yet will call you in a flash when even I admit a pro would be better for him anyway.

Do seniors actually regress(without disease) or do we get to see a truer picture of their character and personality as they age? If they're acting like a rebellious teenager is that the age they stopped maturing, especially an abuser of somekind?
Old 07-24-2011, 03:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Yes, this behavior is very common place. It is all about control and not letting anything go.

You have described my 85 year old mother to a tee. I go thru h#ll with my mother, she is so bullheaded, and most always her decisions result in a big mess.

She is now the child, in an wrinkly old body. I have backed out, hopefully, some day she will learn, but, I doubt it.