Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

We Lost Another One....Singer Amy Winehouse, dead at 27

Notices

Old 07-23-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gee. So young.

Cause of death not yet determined.

Found fame with her hit entitled "Rehab".

She checked out of Rehab in June to do her European tour.

Got booed off stage last month for staggering around etc...

Found dead in her flat.

RIP Amy.

There but for the grace of God go I.

Last edited by Dee74; 07-23-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is so sad. Saw her last 2 performances on youtube, she was a mess. RIP Amy
Old 07-23-2011, 01:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What's bad is it didn't surprise me when I read it, though it does make me sad. (((Tuffenuff))) - you are so right...it could have been one of us.

RIP Amy W.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-23-2011, 01:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Impurrfect View Post
What's bad is it didn't surprise me when I read it, though it does make me sad
Ditto here. So sad.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I work in the music industry and every time we lose one of our own to addiction it hits me extra hard.

Just hits too close to home.

So sad.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ah....can a mod fix the thread title? Didn't catch the misspelling of the last name.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am also saddened by this news.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
TheMostSordidSpotOnEarth

I am so sorry to read this...

RIP Amy.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
The truth shall set you free

RIP Amy Winehouse
Old 07-24-2011, 10:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
FT

I'm going to say something at the risk of making everybody mad.

I was appalled a few weeks ago to see Ms. Winehouse stumbling around drunk or stoned or something on a concert stage, only to get booed off.

I, too, feel very sad for the loss of another human being to drugs or alcohol.

What does this say about us as a society that her song about refusing to go to rehab hits number one and gets a Grammy?

This woman was a pop icon over the past few years, and it sickens me what encouragement she may have given to young, impressionable people -- albeit older ones are not immune -- that getting so loaded you can't even walk across a stage is okay. Yeah, she got booed. But her most famous song? Refusing to stop drugs and alcohol?

It's the social message that makes me as heartsick as her death. I've seen a few posts shouting "Victim!" It sickens me that she had the opportunity to not only clean herself up but lead the way for other addicts in as deep of trouble as she obviously was. Are there no role models anymore? Why a 27 year old, now dead, drug addict? Victim? Maybe. But she also did this to herself.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Agreed ft. Funny I said the same thing last night to my family. When I told them she had died they were shocked and saddened and I found myself angry at their reaction for some reason. I yelled about that song "Rehab" and her being efd up on stage. I think my family was kind of surprised at my reaction, and frankly so am I. Pretty sure I would have felt like them just 12 days ago. Man, I'm changing....and fast.

I went back to edit this because I thought it might come off as too harsh, but when I looked at my kids I thought, no, it's just how I feel...
Old 07-24-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I remember the first time I heard the song "Rehab" I was disgusted. You betcha I was. I thought "what kind of person would sing a song like this?", and more so, what about the promoters and radio stations who picked it up. This was WAY before the Grammys.
Don't even get me started on that.

The more I think about it, the more I come to conclude she was a case study of possibly the worst case of denial seen anywhere.

She isn't to be pittied, or abhored. Heaven forbid emulated...and that is the point I think FT was tring to make. It just was what it was, and we ALL know it took what it took for US to get clean. For some unfortunates, it takes death. Who knows, maybe there is reincarnation and she will come back all innocent and squeaky clean.
Im sure she has paid her dues......
Old 07-24-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am sure that nobody was truly shocked by this. I know I wasn't. And I think her rehab song makes it all the more ironic.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think we have an extraordinary view of celebrity sometimes - we expect them to be somehow superhuman and impervious to the frailties and flaws we ourselves exhibit.

I've been surprised over the last few days to see a lack of compassion where I would have expected it the most.

Amy Winehouse obviously operated on a completely different level of public exposure to me, but I stumbled around on a stage a time or two myself, and I wrote and performed songs informed by my life and my experiences, including drugs and booze, sometimes celebrating them, sometimes the opposite.

I wasn't trying to be a role model - the very thought would have made me laugh - I was just a deeply unhappy, sick person trying getting through my crappy life, day by day.

I saw a great quote which sums it up for me:

The fact that she had drug and alcohol problems did not make her a bad person, what it meant is at some point - earlier than most - she would face a fight for her life. This time she did not win.

D
Old 07-24-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Earth Child

We are not Shocked by her death , We are just sad that she is gone
But countless other people die of Alcohol and drug addictions every day and people don't seem to care and say that its there own fault. when its not
its a disease .
Old 07-24-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I knew of Amy's reputation, but don't know ANY of her music (yes, I live in a hole in the ground..literally, no tv, no radio) When I heard she was dead, and some FB pals were "oh, such a shock" I was like..huh? Shock?

Do people really have their heads up their arses THAT much?

I'm not knocking Amy, I understand the power of addiction. I can't even begin to imagine the sort of stress her career kept her under. Her lifestyle, her image, and a self esteem that needs to be on top...to keep from going under. I know that terror, that pressure, that needing to escape somehow from my own mind, and denying that my substance abuse was killing me, hey, I swore it was the only thing keeping me sane and alive.

Sad? it's more than sad, but yeah, there but for the grace of the powers that be, go I. Scares the crap out of me. I'm only back a couple months after my last relapse. I OD'd then. Doubt I have another relapse left in me.

I'm no smarter, or stronger than Amy, just lucky enough to have been able to put my pride and image behind me and get sober, hope I never pick up my pride and image again, because with it, I most likely will pick up the crap that will kill me dead. I learned that the "right between the eyes" way. I nearly was like Amy, a hopeless addict who's fix became permanent, just 10 weeks ago.

If I cry, it's not just for her, but for me, for all addicts and all the people who think they are too smart and too strong to ever have that happen to them, until they find out, it happened to them.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Makes a good song or story but...

Originally Posted by failedtaper View Post
I'm going to say something at the risk of making everybody mad.

I was appalled a few weeks ago to see Ms. Winehouse stumbling around drunk or stoned or something on a concert stage, only to get booed off.

I, too, feel very sad for the loss of another human being to drugs or alcohol.

What does this say about us as a society that her song about refusing to go to rehab hits number one and gets a Grammy?

This woman was a pop icon over the past few years, and it sickens me what encouragement she may have given to young, impressionable people -- albeit older ones are not immune -- that getting so loaded you can't even walk across a stage is okay. Yeah, she got booed. But her most famous song? Refusing to stop drugs and alcohol?

It's the social message that makes me as heartsick as her death. I've seen a few posts shouting "Victim!" It sickens me that she had the opportunity to not only clean herself up but lead the way for other addicts in as deep of trouble as she obviously was. Are there no role models anymore? Why a 27 year old, now dead, drug addict? Victim? Maybe. But she also did this to herself.
You got that right. The contradictions and conflicted messages about drugs and alcohol abuse never end. Tonight while channel surfing I was able to flip back and fourth between Bar Rehab and Celebrity Rehab followed by an episode of Breaking Bad. Or watch some news about Amy's passing.

The only good thing with alot of these celebs passing on from drug abuse is that their money does enable them but stops them from screwing others over by having to rob and steal for their habits. They can buy their way into oblivion. Just hope she didn't bring too many down with her by passing away.

And yes another life and talent wasted.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Everyone:

Please read and consider this rule before you post again.

4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of, or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
D
Old 07-25-2011, 02:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Addiction isn't choosy. It will take any person it can, from any profession, from any lifestyle. I am still sad about Amy. I hoped she'd make it, but she was too much in the clutches of the addicted mindset. It really could have been me too, I OD'D and woke up in an ICU, trying to figure out where the last 15 hours of my life had gone and what had happened. I was lucky to pass out in a medical parking lot, I am lucky to be alive, and Amy just was unable to rise out of this, I understand it. I hope she's somewhere in green grass and blue water and fluffy blue clouds surrounded by loving people in the hereafter.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Why is anybody shocked at this? Death is just one of the promises of addiction.