Well, it doesn’t “work”…people work.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Well, it doesn’t “work”…people work.

Excerpts form: Well, it doesn’t “work”…people work.
"I know that embarrassment and frustration very well. I know the hopeless feeling of continuing to drink after I’d sworn I had to stop, and the fear that my drinking was something beyond my ability to arrest.

Now I know that there was nothing to fear, that sobriety really is achievable, that I don’t have to drink. You will know these things too."
I know from my experience, at no time I was completely unaware of choosing to do drugs (including the 'beverage' alcohol).. I know denial is strong and it is possible, as I see this example in others to be completely oblivious to ones actions, as i was with mine. Its an usual story of 'I didn't know what I was doing' type thingie. Slurping the booze up, all the wile being innocent without fault. The mind will protect one of guilty pleasures that way. I do as I will but its out of my control. A convenient delusion that negates personal responsibility. Other wise known as BS in the material world.

Yes recovery from a life of denial, delusion, negation of personal responsibility is challenging. So much so that many fail to come about from a sickness that the mind/brain/chemistry/construct attaches such significance to a compulsion to, in essence self-destruct. The absurdity of it all IMO is the depth that the individual, at no fault of their own, will protect continued drug use wile being bazaar at justification for continued drug use.

As much as I find the experiences of my recovery counter parts that have a frame of mind that differs form me. The confusion of continued drug use looks as much as an interesting interpretation of experience to fit ones flux of beliefs as I flow from a continuation of my beliefs. I'll stick with the ever growing foundation of 'I' compared to the evident unfixed position of 'who knows where you land' in the landscape of sobriety.

Last edited by Dee74; 07-17-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Removed quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you Zen! This is exactly my experience. Once I learned that I control MY destiny it taught me that although many times it didn't feel like MY decision it ultimately always was....at least for me.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Nice post, Zencat! I chose the Hemingway quote in my signature for these reasons.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the Lifering link as well, it basically described what I did but I used SR and my wife as the support mechanism.