Notices

Embarrasing and Weird Question

Old 07-14-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Embarrasing and Weird Question

Ok, since we're all adults here (and anonymous), what the heck, I'll ask

I'm 14 days clean and over the last ~7 days, I've noticed something come back that had been gone for quite some time... my sex drive. And when I say sex drive, I mean SEX DRIVE! I'm 35 and feel like I'm 17 again lol. Is it just me? Is it just men? Or do most "return" to their sex drive after recovery so rapidly?

This is normal, right? If not, I feel like a horses ass
Old 07-14-2011, 08:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol's a depressant, it depresses lots of things. Also it tends to become the priority in one's physical, mental, emotional, spiritual life. Take it out of the equation and things tend to right themselves (no pun intended). I think what you're experiencing is normal. With time lots of things that make up real life reappear. In the meantime don't look a gift horse...
Old 07-14-2011, 09:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm a 51 year old female. On and off opiates for the past 15 months. My sex drive is definitely affected by them. While on them i have no drive. After i quit them and withdrawal is over it comes back strong! So no, not a weird question at all..
Old 07-14-2011, 09:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Very normal!! It happens to us girls too! When I was on the OX train I had zero sex drive, now that I've been clean for 6 weeks I feel like a new woman!!

That was a great thing to look foreward too after detox!!
Old 07-14-2011, 09:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great question
Old 07-14-2011, 10:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I should have mentioned I cleaned up from Oxy, not alcohol. But it's interesting that alcohol addicts go through the same thing.

Well thank god, I feel a little more normal now

That brings up an interesting point, now I almost wish I was recovering with a recovering female :~p
Old 07-14-2011, 10:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Mine went from healthy to extreme and my wife's went the opposite , so I have been going to SAA.

I needed SAA regardless.....

You're drive increase is common
Old 07-15-2011, 12:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I noticed it after a week or so. It was actually astounding... Sober sex. Huge difference!
Old 07-15-2011, 12:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

At 3 weeks sober I felt like I was 20 again. Alcohol and drugs affect nearly every system of our body.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, my bf gets annoyed that we can't enjoy those activites when he's on opiates - but his drive does come back within a week or two after stopping. I mean...in his brain he wants it, but his body just doesn't seep to agree.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My sex drive came back after being put on a shelf for many, many years and hit me like a semi truck. But I'm alone so it didn't do me much good. lol (The lack of it helped with the demise of my dating life and it reappears when I don't need/want it.) Oye veh.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm the opposite. When I was a drinker I felt like I always needed to be having sex. Now that I'm sober I almost never think about it.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I always felt like I needed to be messed up to perform well because Im so shy and socialy awkward when I'm sober.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Abnormally normal

For me, not so much change in the sex drive department since for some reason, it's always there and on full max. My problem was performance and how much I would enjoy it.

I too wanted it all the time while I was drinking. Once I got sober, I got extremely self conscious about sex and how I would perform, since having sex while drinking throws all inhabitions out the window.
Thankfully, once I got over the hump (no pun intended) I found that I had nothing to worry about and actually enjoy it so much more.
I'm able to not just enjoy the physical act of it, but the emotional connection is back and was very missed.
My SO does complain that I drain him, but that's a problem I don't mind having between us. So much better than him complaining that he can't be with me because I smell too much like alcohol.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It came back so much for me, that I had a wet dream in the middle of the night...hadn't had one of those since maybe 14 years old, I'll be 40 this month. But yes...it comes back for sure.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Going2Change View Post
It came back so much for me, that I had a wet dream in the middle of the night...hadn't had one of those since maybe 14 years old, I'll be 40 this month. But yes...it comes back for sure.
Ha! That is exactly what happened to me. In fact, it is what prompted me posting the question here
Old 07-18-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

if you're gonna put it out there, then just go ahead and put it out there...who cares? but it was a bit odd, that is for sure..
Old 07-20-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Yep, comes back with a vengeance. A cat couldn't scratch it.