Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

The SOBRIETY Game ... Fight the Boredom Trigger Right Here!

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 01:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I know boredom is a major trigger for many people. This forum is so helpful, so I thought if we started a long running "sobriety word game thread", it would give us something positive to do in between posts when the forum is slower.... PLUS it will provide each other with inspiration and suggestions to stay sober.

THE SOBRIETY WORD GAME - In alphabetical order, we state one word/phrase that starts with the appropriate letter. The reply MUST be something/someone that helped or motivated us during Detox and/or is helping us STAY Sober. (A short description after the word is fine.) Please copy and paste the previous (answers) before yours so when this game is over, we will have A through Z in an organized list.

Here is an example, the next post (after this one) will be the real start of the "Sobriety Game". Members can post as many times as they like, but it must stay in the same order as the alphabet. This is more than a game, it's to help beat the boredom trigger and share suggestions with others, so lets keep the answers relevant to recovery! I hope the Moderators and Members enjoy this so we can keep a healthy game running on the side.

Remember, no answer is silly. If it helped YOU, chances are it can help someone else! Even if doing puzzles helped you pass the time without using, then list it! (under "P" of course. lol) Seriously, I found that Sodoku took me somewhere else and made my cravings do a 180 and I keep a puzzle book with me at all times.

I AM SOBER BECAUSE ______________ HELPED and CONTINUES TO HELP ME. (These are only random example answers)
A - Al-Anon
B - B12 (miracle vitamin for energy during/after detox)
C - Church

for Participating... See Below... Official Game Starts again from the letter A.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

THE SOBRIETY WORD GAME

I AM SOBER BECAUSE ______________ HELPED and CONTINUES TO HELP ME.

A - Alcoholics Anonymous
B -
Old 07-14-2011, 03:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ok, I'll get it going with some more. lol

A - Alcoholics Anonymous
B - Books (Big Book)
C - Church
D -
Old 07-14-2011, 05:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FT

D
Old 07-14-2011, 07:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by failedtaper View Post
D
hehe, you are supposed to list something that starts with the letter D that helped or helps you stay sober.

A - Alcoholics Anonymous
B - Books (Big Book)
C - Church
D - Developmental Delay *until I sobered up, I never knew how child like I was when it comes to common sense and decision making skills... working on that every day (to catch up in my own mind keeps me in check).

Now, the next letter is E- and a word/phrase that starts with the letter E.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

A - Alcoholics Anonymous
B - Books (Big Book)
C - Church
D - Developmental Delay *until I sobered up, I never knew how child like I was when it comes to common sense and decision making skills... working on that every day (to catch up in my own mind keeps me in check).

E-Easy does it...I try to keep a sense of humor...
Old 07-14-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FT

Sarcasm

Originally Posted by oxyious View Post
hehe, you are supposed to list something that starts with the letter D that helped or helps you stay sober.

A - Alcoholics Anonymous
B - Books (Big Book)
C - Church

Now, the next letter is E- and a word/phrase that starts with the letter E.
Hey, I know. I have a tendency to throw a little sarcasm in here and there.

Okay.

F - Friends. Figure out who your real supporters are for your recovery and surround yourself with those people. Beware of False Friends who really want to see you fail, or try to give or sell you drugs, or for whatever reason are not as interested in your recovery as you are. Try not to recover in secret, because the more people who know you are in recovery, the more accountable you are to everyone who is not YOU.

FT
Old 07-14-2011, 09:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

good laugh- when I was in rehab I had the greatest time and I enjoyed making people laugh and smile even in the worst circumstances.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A - Alcoholics Anonymous

B - Books (Big Book)

C - Church

E-Easy does it...I try to keep a sense of humor

F - Friends. Figure out who your real supporters are for your recovery and surround yourself with those people. Beware of False Friends who really want to see you fail, or try to give or sell you drugs, or for whatever reason are not as interested in your recovery as you are. Try not to recover in secret, because the more people who know you are in recovery, the more accountable you are to everyone who is not YOU.

G-good laugh- when I was in rehab I had the greatest time and I enjoyed making people laugh and smile even in the worst circumstances.

H- Hope. Never ever give up hope that the next minute, the next second, the next day will be better.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

A - Alcoholics Anonymous

B - Books (Big Book)

C - Church

G-good laugh- when I was in rehab I had the greatest time and I enjoyed making people laugh and smile even in the worst circumstances.

H- Hope. Never ever give up hope that the next minute, the next second, the next day will be better.

I - Inventory (Taking inventory of my life and me as a person, an addict and a sober person. It’s like comparing an empty shell to a box full of unopened gifts – parts of me I’ve yet to discover and ugly parts of me I’ve found and want to put back in the box like Gradmas Xmas fruitcake. (Handy to hold down loose papers, but thats an insult to paperweights around the world.)
Old 07-14-2011, 05:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by failedtaper
D
thanks

A - Alcoholics Anonymous

B - Books (Big Book)

C - Church

I - Inventory (Taking inventory of my life and me as a person, an addict and a sober person. It’s like comparing an empty shell to a box full of unopened gifts – parts of me I’ve yet to discover and ugly parts of me I’ve found and want to put back in the box like Gradmas Xmas fruitcake. (Handy to hold down loose papers, but thats an insult to paperweights around the world.)

J - joy. I got it back in my recovery for which I've very grateful

D
Old 07-15-2011, 01:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
thanks

A - Alcoholics Anonymous

B - Books (Big Book)

C - Church

J - joy. I got it back in my recovery for which I've very grateful
K- Kisses. If you have a significant other , those are good. The best ones usually come from small children & puppies.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lots

of meetings!

Kelly
Old 07-15-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

M = Movement

Walking nearly everyday has helped establish a routine. Helps burn a few calories and gets me sleepier at nighttime... so it helps on many levels. I've noticed I breathe more deeply now and I think it's helped my anxiety some.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
N - Never, ever give up.

N - Never drink again, never change your mind.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
FT

You are quite welcomed!

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
thanks

D
Hey, dude, you rock.

FT
Old 07-15-2011, 10:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Recovering Addict

O- overwhelming amount of support from all the wonderful people whom I've never even met
<3
Old 07-16-2011, 05:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

P- perfect plate of pasta (without getting heart burn after)
Old 07-16-2011, 05:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I was hoping for a nice list when we were done, but I don't have the mental or physical energy to copy and paste the bits together, so I'll join in and break the letter Q

Q - questions (using forums and meetings allows you to ask questions and when you think you are weird and have one of a kind shameful behavior, by asking questions, you learn that you are a lot like other addicts.) Put the shame away and revel in your sobriety. AND Q for 'quarrels'.... that internal fight that happens every day whether you use or not.. and trying to figure out how to make peace with your addict mind and your sober mind.
Old 07-16-2011, 07:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
FT

R - REMEMBER why you quit. REACH for the stars. RECOVERY is worth it. RELAPSE is just NOT worth it. (I was going to say relapse is not an option, but it always is...)

As with any worthwhile goal in life, your REACH should ALWAYS exceed your grasp!

ROCK on dudes!

FT