Notices

Oxy withdrawal story and questions...

Old 07-12-2011, 11:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Oxy withdrawal story and questions...

Greetings,

I've had spinal issues since I was a kid. Over the last 5 years, my L4/L5 have become almost completely pancaked. The pain was just too much. Long story short (I'm sure you've heard it all before) the doc started me on Vicodin/percs/hydrocodone and then moved to oxycodone/oxycontin. The last two years, I was increasing my doses rapidly. In the middle of June this year, I realized I was doing a minimum of 140mg per day, and usually more like 200-300mg per day (even more on the weekends). By the end of June, I was snorting Oxy and would feel withdrawal symptoms after only 1.5-2hrs of not taking anything. I knew I was in trouble.

I've always had an extremely strong will. And for better or worse, I decided to quit, cold turkey. June 30th was my very last Oxy (or any prescribed drug, for that matter). Today I am 12 days sober. I detoxed over 4th of July weekend because I knew it would be the only 3-day weekend I would have away from work anytime soon. Wow, I didn't realize that I really needed a good week. But I did it, I fought through RLS (oh my god, I wanted to die due to that alone), massive diarrhea, crazy anxiety, etc. I had all those symptoms through the holiday weekend and actually went back to work on Tuesday without sleeping hardly at all the night before (even over-the-counter sleeping pills wouldn't work). That was one of the worst days of my life. I work in an office and it was all I could do just to hold my head up to look at my computer screen like I was working. I was absolutely useless. After the fourth day, my withdrawal symptoms started getting better (especially RLS) and I was able to actually do some work by the end of the week.

I thought (and still think) I was successful at quitting cold turkey. I no longer have any cravings or feel any withdrawal symptoms... except one. And that's where my questions start.

After about 7-8 days sober, all the usual withdrawal symptoms started to go away. But I started getting dizzy. Yesterday, I was so dizzy by the end of the day that I didn't sleep at all last night. Today, I started getting really dizzy at work... in a vertigo sort of way. It's like things are "swimming" around me and it comes in waves. I guess that is my question, is this part of the withdrawal, 12 days later? And if so, why would it get worse each day instead of gradually better?

I have a close friend who knows about my situation, and she actually suggested that it may not even be related. That because it's getting worse, maybe it's a sinus infection or something? I have no idea, I've never had one. Can anybody shed light on this? If it weren't for this dizziness (and the back pain) I'd feel like a million bucks right now! I'm not experiencing any post-withdrawal depression, I'm not having too much trouble concentrating at work (well, except when the dizziness starts) and I'd just feel like a badass for kicking this thing... if it wasn't for this damned dizziness!

FYI, I am seeing my doctor on Friday, so I will be asking him what he thinks it might be. He has no idea about my addiction and I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about the back pain, but that's something I'll have to figure out down the line. Unfortunately, it will probably mean getting back on Opiates/Opiods since those seem to be the only thing that curb the pain.

I've found all sorts of stories relating to the 4-7 day period during withdrawal, but I haven't read anything post 10-12 days regarding what I'm experiencing.

Geez, sorry for the book! I sure appreciate any help you guys can provide, this dizziness is driving me nuts!
Old 07-13-2011, 01:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats!!!..on being clean. I am 23 days clean and just recently stopped having what you describe as dizzy. It felt more like foggy brain to me, but I think we are both talking about the same thing. Scared the heck out of me, thought I would stay that way indefinitely....but it went away completely a few days ago. Wheeeww is all I can say. I also had blurry vision and that went away as well. I think there are some people on here who also have medical problems who use things other than opiates for their pain. Maybe someone will come along soon and can help you. I also got the sinus infection. I'm on antibiotics now. Hope you feel better soon.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey im sorry if im in the wrong thread, but im kind of a newbie to the site, actually very new tonight is my first nigt posting hha. i have been addictied to Opana, Roxicottin and OXYCOTTIN when it was still being made, i usually do between 40-160 mg a day, 2-4 pills a day, and i am snorting them. I want to get off of these things because i am usuing them recreational and to be honest ive almost drainined my bank account because of them and ive worked way to hard to get where im at and what i have, and i just want to be able to hand out with the guys at the river or in the desert and not worry about having enough pills to last me or not having enough money to make the trip. Like i said if im in the wrong forum can someone send me in the right direction and maybe send me an email or something? I read you stroy so i figured id ask you how it was kickin these cold turkey? ive gone a few days without taking anything and felt fine, but then i was stupid as figured oh i can take only one and ill be ok then i end up right back where i am. i just got insureance and have a friend who deoxed of norcos a few months back ( hes actually the one who gave me my first norco, then i moved up from there) the work i do i usually have a lot of free time on my hands ad thats when it seems like i want the pills the most. I wouldnt mindgoing to the the treatment or detox but id really like to kick this on my own if i can. im a smart kid and very strong willed. does anyone have any suggestions or opinons all are greatly appreciated.. thank you very much

PS i wish i would have neber taken these stupid things in the first place. ive thoight about trying to taper myself down but that is so super hard when i have them in front of me. ive even tried givong them to my mom and having her dish me out them accordin to my taper plan but she wants to know if it has a chance of working and if so what kind of tapering schedule should i be on? thanks again guys, and sorry for jacking your post it just seemed like u were going threw the same thing and migh have some insite, and me bieng new i didnt know where this belonged. thanks again guys i greatly appreciate it..

NICK aka BUZZY
Old 07-13-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FT

Hi guys,
You are on the right forum. To get a lot of withdrawal information, go to the "I'm quitting oxycodone cold turkey...", and "Kicking the ox..." threads, as well as "Oxycodone withdrawal help..." thread. There's a lot of information there from the past 6 months, with a bunch of helpful posts. I don't have time to post a huge reply here, so I'd say go there but keep asking questions on more current threads, too.

The dizziness thing does not seem typical of the usual withdrawals. No one can give medical advice here even if we think we know what is going on, but we can share our experiences.

I agree with your friend that it may be totally unrelated. I've had some similar stuff going on, which for me turned out to be inner ear stuff from allergies. So don't automatically think "withdrawal" on this one.

Talk at ya later.

FT
Old 07-13-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recovering Addict

I'm on day 5 of no oxys & I have to admit, I feel like crap I can't WAIT to be on day 12!! I haven't slept more thAn a few hours in three nights now & I have work tonight I'm so annoyed with waking up every hour being covered in sweat (gross!) then freezing the next 5 minutes. I'm also craving like no other today. Thank you for your post, let's me see that I, too, can kick this OX.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
FT

Hi hopeful,

In the first week off the OX, I counted my progress in hours, then days. After the first week, I started counting in weeks. Amazingly, I will be 7 months clean in two days, and I STILL am noticing improvement, only now I count it on a monthly scale. Ha! It's kind of like that wacky way parents count the age of their children in months until they are about two and a half years old. Hey! I did that too!

Yes, in the first week, probably two, my sweat glands did NOT know what they were supposed to do. I would be freezing cold, but putting on a hot pad would make me feel sicker. Crap like that.

What's going on is your body doesn't know what equilibrium is for awhile, because you threw a monkey wrench into the "normal" gauge while using. Oxy is so toxic, it's no wonder you feel sick for at least a week after stopping. Then you still have to relearn "normal".

Just remember all the weird sweating and bowel problems are part of detoxifying. Drink LOTS of fluids. I had a lot of soup and yogurt my first few days. Plus I drank a lot of green tea, which SOME argue helps to detox. I don't know, but the fluids will help.

Hang in there!

FT
Old 07-14-2011, 08:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I'm still feeling dizzy and I'm starting to become afraid that it really is some sort of "brain synapse screwup" due to my body starving for Oxy. I see my doctor in the morning, I'll let you know what he thinks.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Recovering Addict

Thank you failedtaper, just trying to take it day by day. I've noticed today that I've been craving sweets & chocolate bad!! Is this just pms or what hah. I've been in a decent mood & even found myself cracking jokes tonight at work
Old 07-15-2011, 10:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great to hear the positivity, hopeful8523! I literally forced myself to think and do positive things (and still do, I'm not THAT far out from my last Oxy). It certainly helps.

And GOOD NEWS! The doc said he's pretty sure I have a sinus infection! I've never been so happy in my life to learn of an infection