job or career ideas for acoa's

Old 07-08-2011, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

job or career ideas for acoa's

does anyone know of any or any good books to read.

even though i dont see my family much now i still feel the need to impress them with a great career this is the burden of expectation i feel.

i used to do computers alot but they dont interest me really. i guess as a codependent a support type job would be suitable. i dont know really i went straight from a dysfunctional home to an active alcohol addiction [sober now 6 months] so ive never had a proper life really. i dont hardly even have hobbies other than tv/moves/music and my self help books.

have any other acoas felt similar. how did you get working

im not really qualified in anything textbook although i have some experience [if a bit old] in the computer and service sectors. the only job i ever enjoyed was a tech support role [typical codependant fixing things helping people].

i would like a job helping people for sure but really find computers a big turn off, i would maybe consider a tech support role i guess but there are not many local thats even if they would have me with my work history gaps and history of alcoholism [although i am sober 6 months]

ideas/thoughts please help anyone

further thinking im starting to realise i had a clear lack of direction regarding what it was to be a young person in the workplace from my parents so i still dont really know what fully to expect of others and indeed of myself.

i have a back to work mentor calling soon though from local government perhaps if i am able to explain my drug/acoa and codependecy situations they might help me
Old 07-08-2011, 09:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm in the exact same situation.
I've always had problems with keeping a job as I can't bear to be near an authority figure and even the best boss is a nightmare to me. I always tried doing something on my own, I was self-employed for a long time and I was depressed when I didn't work at all and I have huge gaps in my CV too because of this. So maybe I'll never work like other people, but it's allright, I like being self-employed although the stress is too much and I would've been better off working for someone. I also can be a workaholic and I end up burnt out because I either work, or relax but can't do both! When I write down my daily goals, I always write down relaxation too, otherwise I just forget about it.

I can't advise you in carreer choices as I don't know enough about you and even if I did, I think this is completely your choice. If you would like to do something, I say do it, try it and if you don't like it you can still change careers anytime. Be patient with yourself, you grew up in a dysfunctional family, you were dysfunctional for a very long time, we need time to heal and work as properly as possible. Good luck whatever your choice will be, I hope it will work out for you

And I nearly forgot, I don't think you should choose something in order to impress your family or others. I tried it and ended up with years of depression as I didn't have the strenght to do it properly and that path wasn't mine. Why try to impress anyone, anyway? It's my life, it's hard enough as it is without me trying to please other people.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I write down my daily goals, I always write down relaxation too, otherwise I just forget about it.
great work on doing daily goals. I hope you find balance too look after you
Old 07-08-2011, 05:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SusieC View Post
I've always had problems with keeping a job as I can't bear to be near an authority figure and even the best boss is a nightmare to me. I always tried doing something on my own, I was self-employed for a long time and I was depressed when I didn't work at all and I have huge gaps in my CV too because of this.

And I nearly forgot, I don't think you should choose something in order to impress your family or others. I tried it and ended up with years of depression as I didn't have the strenght to do it properly and that path wasn't mine. Why try to impress anyone, anyway? It's my life, it's hard enough as it is without me trying to please other people.
I'm a musician and writer. I almost never see any boss. I do some teaching for a program, and rarely see my boss at all. But I have noticed over the years that I get very tense every time she calls--although she never calls with complaints or criticisms, but in fact usually calls with positive things, asking me to take on difficult students and more work because she's happy with my work. But I still have that twinge of The Boss Is Calling every time.

I have to agree you can't look for a job that will impress anyone. Coming from an alcoholic family, you could become president of the United States, a senator, a great actor or author, and it doesn't mean they're going to change their opinion of you.

Instead of thinking about a career suitable for ACOA's, think about what YOU love to do. I love my job because I had a passion in life and I followed it, regardless of what anyone said.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with Evening Rose Kev - sometimes it's best to keep it simple I think.

What do/what would you love to do?

The best jobs I've ever had are the jobs I've loved, and I'd do for no money...kinda like this one LOL

D
Old 07-09-2011, 06:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh i think i was just dashing back into the workplace sort of thinking.

Ive decided i was becoming codependent on the oppertunity that i got offered yesterday [like i couldnt do it alone sort of thinking so i must take them up on it]. Ill trust my HP keep working and in time it will fall right