Notices

First time wthdrawls and detox

Old 07-07-2011, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool First time wthdrawls and detox

Hello everyone. I posted for the first time the other night, and to be honest it felt great to be able to tell someone about my problem. For those of you who did not read it, I have been addicted to prescription pain meds for 3 years. (oxys and vicodin) All of this happened following a major surgery that went terribly wrong. It caused alot of long term pain. Anyhow, im trying to kick my problem and today is my first day clean. Im scared I will not be able to do this. The withdrawls have been aggrevating and I know its just going to get worse as the days go by. Im on my own with this bc im too scared to tell my family. They wouldnt understand. My husband is a wonderful man and we do have a very good relationship, but my fear is that he will be disappointed. He loves me so much and I saw the hurt he went through when he almost lost me. I just cant bare to put him through this if I can help it. The withdrawls are probably going to be obvious by tomorrow so im hoping I wont have to tell him. Maybe he will just know. Sounds stupid but its how I feel. Please wish me luck. Im excited about getting my life back and I know its not going to be easy. I will keep u all posted on my progress. Thank u for the support.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FT

Hi Lynet,

I quit oxycodone almost 7 months ago after a 2 year addiction associated with orthopedic surgery. My husband did not know how much I was taking, and I tried to go through withdrawals without telling him the truth. But the "bad flu" thing only works for a couple of days. My husband thought I had tapered down to almost zero before I quit, so he thought I should feel "fine" within 3 days of stopping.

I came on here, and a great poster urged me to come clean with my husband. I was so sick, and so scared, but that's what I did. He was incredibly p!ssed off at me and would barely speak to me for a few days, angry because I had lied to him about my use. However, he became my best ally, and we both learned so much about addiction.

Based on my experience, I think it's best to line up your allies, and live your life without the lies. It is so much easier to go through this with a loving man by your side. He may be shocked and angry, but if he loves you, he will help you get through this.

FT
Old 07-07-2011, 04:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just wanted to send you a hug