Notices

STILL Here!

Old 07-06-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

STILL Here!

Hey everyone. I know I havent been around a lot, but summer is tough! Well, at least this summer is, being that I am not sitting around doing oxy and surfing the net all the time, lol. I have been out and about, playing ball 5 days a week, plus travel ball on the weekends. Been going to concerts, working out, running, swimming and HAVING FUN!!!

Yes its been almost 8 months and I am sooooo freaking happy. The only thing i am mad about and i still get upset about is that I wasted 2 years of my life doing dumb sh!t.

Yes, if I can do it, you can do it. Just believe me when I say...IT GETS BETTER....A LOT BETTER!
Old 07-06-2011, 09:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Servant of God

Well don't let those 2 years get you too mad...focus on where you are now an how much you are loving it.

I was talking to a friend this week about stupid theories I have about sobriety and this guy I was talking too had about 8 weeks clean from booze after 30 years of addiction and he had the nerve (sarcasm) to constantly complain about that 8 weeks and how his mind is ruined forever and his body and that everything is all crap. We were with a couple other people and all of us were offering him some positive tools to help him feel better bit his instant response was always about why it won't work.

What I'm trying to say is that I believe that in early sobriety (rest of life for that matter). Every given interaction or situation that you may get into will give you the opportunity to have one of two possible reactions, positive or negative. The addict brain, while still active for a while after we quit, needs us to react to everything in a negative (glass half empty) way. That's the easy way. As addicts striving for sobriety we desperately need to look at these situations I a positive way (even if we know we are wrong because it's not about that). Forcing ourselves to put a positive spin on these things creates new innate behaviors if stuck too long enough. After a few months of years we may find that our negative to positive response went from 90/10 to a while later 50-50 and another while 20-80. Insisting of putting a positive spin on something is not lying to yourself, it's changing long time of poorly learned behavior. Soon, we will all be taking the best out of life.

Juice, my comment wasn't directed at you but rather somethin you Sao reminded of this thought. But, with that, forget about those two years, there's no pointanyways and it's just a mind trick to lure u back.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

Originally Posted by FNB3 View Post
Well don't let those 2 years get you too mad...focus on where you are now an how much you are loving it.

I was talking to a friend this week about stupid theories I have about sobriety and this guy I was talking too had about 8 weeks clean from booze after 30 years of addiction and he had the nerve (sarcasm) to constantly complain about that 8 weeks and how his mind is ruined forever and his body and that everything is all crap. We were with a couple other people and all of us were offering him some positive tools to help him feel better bit his instant response was always about why it won't work.

What I'm trying to say is that I believe that in early sobriety (rest of life for that matter). Every given interaction or situation that you may get into will give you the opportunity to have one of two possible reactions, positive or negative. The addict brain, while still active for a while after we quit, needs us to react to everything in a negative (glass half empty) way. That's the easy way. As addicts striving for sobriety we desperately need to look at these situations I a positive way (even if we know we are wrong because it's not about that). Forcing ourselves to put a positive spin on these things creates new innate behaviors if stuck too long enough. After a few months of years we may find that our negative to positive response went from 90/10 to a while later 50-50 and another while 20-80. Insisting of putting a positive spin on something is not lying to yourself, it's changing long time of poorly learned behavior. Soon, we will all be taking the best out of life.

Juice, my comment wasn't directed at you but rather somethin you Sao reminded of this thought. But, with that, forget about those two years, there's no pointanyways and it's just a mind trick to lure u back.
Trust me, I don't dwell on it. I was more so just saying how stupid opiate use is and how much better life without them is.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Thanks for the encouraging post, reminding me how much better sobriety is. I know this, having been clean for a year+ before letting it slip away. I am angry with myself for relapsing, giving up the head way I'd made, forgetting the lessons I learned. I am back at this recovery thing, but as you know, the first few months, as the fog lifts are some uncomfortable ones (why don't I get that pink cloud thing some people speak of?)

Don't get me wrong I am overjoyed to have gotten myself back into recovery, but it's hard to face the time lost, the years of addiction and the months of relapse. Why do I do that to myself?

Feeling pretty exhausted this morning and really needed to be reminded of all the good life ahead of me.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
MIND OF DESTRUCTIVE TASTE

Wow! Congrats on your *almost* 8 months. I love reading success stories as they fill me with hope for a better life.

Keep up the great work!!

-Jess
Old 07-07-2011, 08:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Hiya Juice-

Sober too or just clean?

Just curious as to your progress.

Kjell~
Old 07-07-2011, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
Hiya Juice-

Sober too or just clean?

Just curious as to your progress.

Kjell~
I have a few beers once in while, but its not like I get fall down drunk or anything, lol. I don't touch any other drugs. A few beers is about it. I have never had a problem with addiction other than opiates, so I am not recommending to the majority here to "have a few". I love being clean and living life the way its supposed to be lived!
Old 07-12-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thejuiceman View Post
I have a few beers once in while, but its not like I get fall down drunk or anything, lol. I don't touch any other drugs. A few beers is about it. I have never had a problem with addiction other than opiates, so I am not recommending to the majority here to "have a few". I love being clean and living life the way its supposed to be lived!
Cool dude. So you're no longer taking 20 shots of Petron without thinking about doing an oxy? LMAO.

Those were YOUR words brother.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FT

It's kind of like asking, "When did you stop beating your wife?"
Old 07-13-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Good job, Juice ! I have drinks too. Some people can drink and others cannot. Glad you are clean and sober ! Keep up the good work !
Old 07-13-2011, 09:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

Originally Posted by Squizz View Post
Cool dude. So you're no longer taking 20 shots of Petron without thinking about doing an oxy? LMAO.

Those were YOUR words brother.
Lol, I said I "could" do that. But 20 shots would kill me long before anyways. Lol. Opiates are long behind me and nothing could make me use again, that really just the bottom line.

On the other hand, I know some peeps who would be tempted after a few beers to use their DOC...... those people should stay totally clean in my opinion. After ball games I can go out with my team for drinks and food and be totally content with pills never even entering my mind.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Why have a "few" beers? Just askin...
Old 07-13-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
Why have a "few" beers? Just askin...
I enjoy it. its what many, many people do with their friends. Its far from "abnormal".
Old 07-13-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I will never try to test those waters again. Couple of beers and Im off to the races. I learned that lesson the hard way. I too never had a problem with a "few" beers, it was the Dope that followed those "few" beers. Not tryin to tell you what to do, Im just tellin you what I did. It will be 4 years next week that not drinking worked for this drug addict.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

I will never try to test those waters again. Couple of beers and Im off to the races. I learned that lesson the hard way. I too never had a problem with a "few" beers, it was the Dope that followed those "few" beers. Not tryin to tell you what to do, Im just tellin you what I did. It will be 4 years next week that not drinking worked for this drug addict.
Yeah, you and I have talked about this before and I totally sympathize with your position and stance. I would never say to a recovering addict that's is okay to drink. People def need to consider the possible consequenses. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This. You and about 99.9% of other recovering alcoholics/addicts. That being said, maybe Juiceman falls into that 0.01%. Only he knows for sure.

Also, the name "Juiceman" wouldn't be some sorta' slang reference to steroids would it? You claim tor really enjoy the gym and all.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

This. You and about 99.9% of other recovering alcoholics/addicts. That being said, maybe Juiceman falls into that 0.01%. Only he knows for sure.

Also, the name "Juiceman" wouldn't be some sorta' slang reference to steroids would it? You claim tor really enjoy the gym and all.
Lol, na its a nickname from way back when I played football. Love working out, but don't do steroids. But that is funny.

Yeah, I def fall into the small minority. I drank socially for years before my opiate habit and never had issues in the least. I don't do any rec drugs or smoke cigarettes. So after the opiates I decided to socially drink again and its been 8 months. Haven't once thought about doing an oxy once when I was drinking.

As stated, you're right in saying its a very small % that can do this (I would say 2 or 3%, not .01%) but either way some addicts are just that, an "addict". They are easily addicted to substances. I'm lucky not to be like that.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thejuiceman View Post
Lol, na its a nickname from way back when I played football. Love working out, but don't do steroids. But that is funny.

Yeah, I def fall into the small minority. I drank socially for years before my opiate habit and never had issues in the least. I don't do any rec drugs or smoke cigarettes. So after the opiates I decided to socially drink again and its been 8 months. Haven't once thought about doing an oxy once when I was drinking.

As stated, you're right in saying its a very small % that can do this (I would say 2 or 3%, not .01%) but either way some addicts are just that, an "addict". They are easily addicted to substances. I'm lucky not to be like that.
HAHAHA.

Well good for you. If you can control your drinking, my hat is off to you. Lord knows I've tried many times. If you feel you can drink without too many problems, I don't think it's a bad idea.

As for "TheJuiceMan", care to elaborate on how you got that nickname? I'm intrigued now. HAHA.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Beat Opiates on my OWN!

HAHAHA.

Well good for you. If you can control your drinking, my hat is off to you. Lord knows I've tried many times. If you feel you can drink without too many problems, I don't think it's a bad idea.

As for "TheJuiceMan", care to elaborate on how you got that nickname? I'm intrigued now. HAHA.
In college, I was the only one of my large group of friends that worked out and also played sports. So it started off as just "juice". Then it grew to "juiceman" and to this day my college friends still call me it. When they visit and call me that, my other friends look at them all weird as the college friends are the only ones who say it. Its funny.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:53 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats Juice, I definitely trust your judgment as far as the alcohol goes. Some folks will write you off for having a couple beers every now and then, because you have broken their sacred commandments of sobriety. Meanwhile, they are piously and communally digging their graves together, one Marlboro at a time. Only you know what works and what is best for you. Congrats again man.