Notices

Anger Management

Old 07-06-2011, 12:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anger Management

I've had problems with this since I was a little kid. Screaming at people, getting into fights, taking every little thing that annoys me and turning it into something huge. It's gotten me into so much trouble as in getting arrested type of trouble. It gets worse when I'm using but now that I've stopped I'm cranky and I'm still exploding on people. It really scares me how bad I can get. I think I've been lucky because I'm sure if all the circumstances came together just right. I could cause some serious damage.

I've been to anger management before. But I was required to be there, so I just played the game to get through it. It didn't do me any good after. I should find another group or therapy for it, because I'm trying to work through everything. But I'm finding it hard to find something when it's not court ordered.

Anyone else like this? What have you done to help?
Old 10-20-2011, 11:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Stop and think

I don't have a temper but I am dealing with a walking time bomb family member.

He must have ADD or something. He simply doesn't have time for those pesky things called detail. Not obsessive compulsive detail but just the facts. He frequently berates you and others from a positon of ignorance in an effort to always be right. He says he thinks fast but that's exactly what he does not do.

I'd say take a step back and THINK in detail about what you are doing and the situation at hand. And don't give up on anger management. Try different groups, doctors or techniques. Don't give up on controlling your anger. Hopefully persistance will help lead to control and discipline.

Good Luck.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think counting to 10 is one of the strategies, it gives you time to think more rationally and not explode.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes I have this same problem and it also got me arrested and ruined my relationships with people. I go to cognitive behavioral therapy for this among other issues and it's been helping me A LOT. I highly recommend checking out CBT.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi CherryD,
I have struggled a lot with anger too, often turning it inward on myself (depression). Counselling with the right counsellor has really helped me and also meditation.
Meditation is an amazing tool, it gives you more space inside yourself and more understanding for why you react the way you do when you do, so there's more of a choice to walk away.
I don't know if anyone has anger for no reason, there's usually if not always a reason, it's just about letting yourself get to know yourself and understanding yourself, and also knowing when to walk away.
Everyone gets angry, you're not alone! it's what you do with it that counts.
My anger dissipated when I started listening to myself instead of everyone else, and I started making better choices.
Don't wait for a court order! Anger can be such a destructive force in a person's life. It's an emotion, like any other, and it's telling you something! You just have to be able to listen to what it's telling you - even if it's about old stuff, maybe it's stuff you need to talk about with someone who understands. Many hugs xxx
Old 10-25-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

When I got sober my anger became awful which is pretty common. However, I was diagnosed with depression and prescribed Wellbutrin and Effexor. As soon as they kicked in my anger subsided. If something happened, someone did something to me, I could decide how I wanted to handle it. My doc said anger is a symptom of depression...